The 75 objects limit

The keyboard limits the upper limit of the number of objects we can carry. Is it possible to develop a 2-level item interface so we can carry more kinds of objects?

The worst of it is when I load my stuff in my car. The system automatically separates same stuff(except for ammo) and they take one slot each!

IIRC the plan is to eventually utilize an actual container system, allowing for bypassing of the limit by having bags/containers assigned and then accessing the items inside separately. (Which will also include effects like dropping all of your stuff if you drop your backpack instead of it just magically sticking to your body).

75? Back in my day we DREAMED of being able to carry 75 items, let alone stacking multiple bandages!

“Cardboard box? You were lucky!”

I would rather the container system since I tend to drop all my loot at the sight of approaching combat, and the added result of picking up one item without having to separate it from junk on tiles left by dead things would be great. I’d rather wait for the container fix than create a multi-levelled interface by item type, though.

Otherwise, when containers work properly (assuming the are inevitable as an addition), viewing ‘tools’ would leave me digging through all tools I own across multiple backpacks - convenient maybe for finding the tool, but a bit weird when you think about how people move irl. We open a bag and look in it for stuff. It is a personal preference that my belongings be organized with some preservation of their physical location in inventory. I find that easier for me to find things than other sorting systems. Item types would be information related to how the item can be used, rather than where it goes in my inventory. I wish I could remember who it was I was talking about this with,maybe they’ll show up.

Certainly looking forward to more than 75 items too though.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:5, topic:1802”][…]
Otherwise, when containers work properly (assuming the are inevitable as an addition), viewing ‘tools’ would leave me digging through all tools I own across multiple backpacks […][/quote]

Maybe an ctrl-f search function for inventory, possibly even without the need to open the inventory first.
Another option ofc. would be magnificent TOOLBELT!
Make it craftable with high enough tailoring and/or semi-rare loot, as a special container, maybe assign it its own key.

Hmm, a container system for items will call for more variety when it comes to storing items.

I would be for a quiver for storing arrows, though I don’t know enough about their current encumbrance values to determine if that would be adding to player inventory bulk or not. Ultimately I’d want navigable storage and nicely organized storage, but not if it means I’m carrying ten more container types that are additionally weighing me down.

[quote=“Scheuche, post:6, topic:1802”]Maybe an ctrl-f search function for inventory, possibly even without the need to open the inventory first.
Make it craftable with high enough tailoring and/or semi-rare loot, as a special container, maybe assign it its own key.[/quote]
They already basically exist in-game, that’s what belt rigs are. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do think it would probably be a good idea to add some sort of filtering function to your inventory though, since that would mean that players wouldn’t necessarily have to dig through all of their bags in the inventory screen to find their lighter every time they want to use it.

I am not sure if you want this to be pre installed or you want to do it yourself but a organization system.
For example you (or the computer) places all their meds in their pockets, all the food in one backpack and all the tools in another spot. It seems useful in how it can reduce inter container item clutter, but I am not sure if we want the system to do it or if we should do it ourselves.

[quote=“Otaku, post:9, topic:1802”]I am not sure if you want this to be pre installed or you want to do it yourself but a organization system.
For example you (or the computer) places all their meds in their pockets, all the food in one backpack and all the tools in another spot. It seems useful in how it can reduce inter container item clutter, but I am not sure if we want the system to do it or if we should do it ourselves.[/quote]
Personally I’m all for self organization. Computer organization can be nice sometimes, but I see too many problems popping up from it.

I prefer self-organizing my loot. Currently, I am only able to do it with piles on the ground, as my backpack puts items in whatever order I’ve picked them up. Or was it ‘alphabetical’? Point is, it’s not how I set it up. I think the sub-headers of “tools”, “food” and soforth is really better off just being put in item descriptions - I am thinking of that tag system that’s being ironed out for tool types and item qualities. It’s fairly obvious what a screwdriver is without it being listed under ‘tools’.

Self organization also allows players to group items based on their most frequent activities: I can store my hot plate, hotpacks, and cooking pot in the backpack with all my foodstuffs and water, for instance.

Letting players pick where they put their stuff means they have a sense of personal control over things, if only little things, and I think that tends to up the gameplay experience a little. Especially in a game where there are many ways to eke out a little post-apocalypse life for yourself.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:8, topic:1802”][quote=“Scheuche, post:6, topic:1802”]Maybe an ctrl-f search function for inventory, possibly even without the need to open the inventory first.
Make it craftable with high enough tailoring and/or semi-rare loot, as a special container, maybe assign it its own key.[/quote]
They already basically exist in-game, that’s what belt rigs are. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do think it would probably be a good idea to add some sort of filtering function to your inventory though, since that would mean that players wouldn’t necessarily have to dig through all of their bags in the inventory screen to find their lighter every time they want to use it.[/quote]

Huh. I thought the Belt Rig included shoulder straps & was basically the LBE I could grab from the local mil. surplus for ~$30-40 or so. A gun belt like that seems comparable to a Fanny Pack, in terms of encumbrance…

[quote=“KA101, post:12, topic:1802”][quote=“i2amroy, post:8, topic:1802”][quote=“Scheuche, post:6, topic:1802”]Maybe an ctrl-f search function for inventory, possibly even without the need to open the inventory first.

I do think it would probably be a good idea to add some sort of filtering function to your inventory though, since that would mean that players wouldn’t necessarily have to dig through all of their bags in the inventory screen to find their lighter every time they want to use it.[/quote]
Huh. I thought the Belt Rig included shoulder straps & was basically the LBE I could grab from the local mil. surplus for ~$30-40 or so. A gun belt like that seems comparable to a Fanny Pack, in terms of encumbrance…[/quote]
Hunh, guess you’re right now that I actually read the belt rig description. My bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, if that means the inclusion of both as a result, hooray! Though I’m not sure if a toolbelt like that one would count as leg encumbrance or torso encumbrance. It’s kind of like, …well. It’s exactly around the hips. Where would you put that?

As I alluded…that would be the 0-Encumbrance, 0-Layer, Nil Area currently inhabited by fanny packs & holsters. Given all the stuff on that belt, though, balance would probably make it far rarer than players would (rightly) expect. :-/

Was unaware said items had non-existent encumbrance values! I have never found either though, I tend to find purses. :stuck_out_tongue:

The mechanic starts off with a tool belt IIRC.

As for the self v. computer organization I support the self organization myself, but just to make it a fair arguement.
What is your defence (iam2roy, Pthanlocy and other self organizers) about micromanagement. Having to sort everything yourself would increase the workload of the average survivor without much gameplay improvement. That would be kind of redundant to add (like they discussed with bathroom trips for the survivors a little while ago). What are your thoughts?

Also I think that belts would classify as legs because once they are weighted down enough, which they always are, they start to pull your pants down unless fastened. Therefore they are leg encumberance.

They actually start with a belt rig, which is what KA101 and I were discussing there.

If toolbelts ever go in they should probably be switched over to that though.

[quote=“Otaku, post:17, topic:1802”]As for the self v. computer organization I support the self organization myself, but just to make it a fair arguement.
What is your defence (iam2roy, Pthanlocy and other self organizers) about micromanagement. Having to sort everything yourself would increase the workload of the average survivor without much gameplay improvement. That would be kind of redundant to add (like they discussed with bathroom trips for the survivors a little while ago). What are your thoughts?[/quote]
That’s why I said that there should be a “find” command (similar to the sort option on shift+V), that allows you to quickly locate items from your inventory. That would allow the player to still quickly find anything they want regardless of where it’s located. Some other options that would allow players to not need to micromanage would be to have some basic things already thrown in (for example having the game automatically try to place like items with other of the same items), and potentially have a “sort” option that will automatically sort all of your bags by some criteria if you use it.

The main goal is to allow those players that want to micromanage their inventory to obtain maximum results (squeeze those pills in that last 1 volume space in the container, etc.) while still allowing those players who don’t want to micromanage to obtain relatively the same amount of functionality. Also one particular argument for micromanagement is it allows the player to easily customize what items are in what containers for dropping/destroying purposes. That allows the player to stockpile all of their non-essential items in bags that can be dropped at the start of combat or clothes that may be destroyed during combat, while storing the more essential fighting items in places that will be accessible while fighting. I don’t want the game sticking all of my explosives and backup weapons in the huge military rucksack I’m going to drop when I can easily store them in my belt rig that I’ll be wearing.

Dat load bearing equipment.

Personally I’d love a button that automatically reassigns the keys for my inventory in alphabetical from top to bottom. Having the first item be [ while the 26th be “a” is counter intuitive to me. Maybe not for everyone, which is why a button to do it would be nice. Possibly also have a way of having certain items ignored from it, so my lighter is always l and my cocaine is always c?