[Spoilers] Sketch

RE: poll, a second floor would be nice, but maybe should be held off until z levels. It could work as a basement, but malls tend to be open areas, and having the two floors separated wouldn’t be very mall-like. Alternates would probably be easiest, just keep the same layout and change around loot levels, some terrains, and spawns. Most work and most payoff would definitely be creating new large scale specials.

I was reading about cheyenne mountain and raven rock on wikipedia and it gave me an idea for a special for a bunker that would include a small aboveground mountain area and then a large lab-style underground military complex. Imagining it’s a 9x9 square, the aboveground area would look something like this:
[tt]
FFFFFFFFF
FF^^^^^FF
F^^###^^F
F^##O##^F
-HOOOO#^F
F^##O##^F
F^^###^^F
FF^^^^^FF
FFFFFFFFF
[/tt]
F’s are normal forest, ^ is forest on the outside, rubble in the middle, then solid rock on the inside, # is solid rock, - is road, H is a checkpoint style installation, and Os are the interior.

It obviously doesn’t have to look anything like that, but that just gives an idea. The road should connect to a checkpoint, and if a gate at the checkpoint is raised then it can be driven into by a military sized vehicle. Once inside, it should lead to a large storage/staging area, then massive blast doors leading to an entryway with some administrative areas and freight elevators and stairs leading to the rest of the complex. Down below it should be lab style, some combination of offices, barracks, storage, high tech communications equipment, armories, maintenance areas, etc. Some areas should still be running on emergency power, but everything non-essential is going to be off. The bunker was being used to store VIPs, mostly scientists involved with the blob, and being used to stage the VIP extraction teams tasked with locating and returning those scientists. Because these scientists were working on trying to reverse engineer the blob’s effects (in a less drastic way than the dimensional rubberbanding they had already discovered), a few areas of the facility have been repurposed into makeshift labs. Since the facility is mainly involved in communications and coordination, there should be lots of information on hand about the blob and its spread. It could potentially even include the ability to communicate with other similar facilities eventually.

This is fucking amazing. I’d love to create buildings of this scale once JSON support is added in for actually creating map buildings that are more than 1 tile big. If you need help with creating this monster of a mall once support is added I wouldn’t mind helping out, although the JSONs are pretty easy to figure out if you use other people’s buildings as a template.

Support has been added in the latest experimentals. I’m not sure how it will handle ones of this size, but we will see. See /data/json/overmap_specials.json for the format for creating specials.

Sooo, I’ve got some good news and some bad news.

Bad News

The debug item that allows vision through walls doesn’t actually light everything up… its still grey… and I forgot a flashlight until the last four or so screen shots.

Good News

Update

So, based on the poll it looks like we are moving on to a new building next. If I had to give a rough estimate, I’d say the mall will be ready to send up in about two weeks. Item and monster spawns are going to be a huge pain so I doubt it’ll get polished before then. The new poll will determine just how challenging the mall is, since you can now see a mostly complete structure. Please include any suggestions you might have.

I think there is a furniture that encloses items that would probably be good for the jewelry shop, it is f_displaycase I think.

Oh really… I just looked at the jewelry store and museum and used their style. Would save a lot of space though.

This thing is just awesome. It makes me really happy.

Could there be cars in the outside?

[quote=“acidia, post:24, topic:5981”]Sooo, I’ve got some good news and some bad news.

Bad News

The debug item that allows vision through walls doesn’t actually light everything up… its still grey… and I forgot a flashlight until the last four or so screen shots.

Good News

Update

So, based on the poll it looks like we are moving on to a new building next. If I had to give a rough estimate, I’d say the mall will be ready to send up in about two weeks. Item and monster spawns are going to be a huge pain so I doubt it’ll get polished before then. The new poll will determine just how challenging the mall is, since you can now see a mostly complete structure. Please include any suggestions you might have.

YES

YEEEEES

Also, you should use the map editor to take screenshots, that’s what I used to showcase the Urban Explorer Pack buildings before the mod got merged into the game.

:open_mouth: When did that get added! (I haven’t been around for a while)

So, item mapping is done but the chances need to be rebalanced. Vehicles will certainly be added but those are one of the last and largest pains (at least they used to be). Lining things up in the lots will take a while. Hopefully this Friday I can get a work in progress pull request up for those interested in helping address balance issues.

Another thing you can try is mutating yourself full nightvision. Conveniently, it’s the only mutation with “full” in the name.

Ok, everything is going well-ish… there is something a little wonky with the number of zombies spawning so it may be a bit overcrowded till we get that fixed. Since I’m putting zombies in now, I figured we can go ahead and vote on the next building.

No kidding, spoilers

[spoiler]The Hood – city housing projects, semi-quarantined to keep the zombie ocean in

Cheyenne Mountain – as vache mentioned, an X-com like base… less science more military/command. Kinda strange having a mountain without z-levels. Optional simple ending (skill check survival and mechanics at 7?), “You hole up in the mountain and spend the rest of your life alone, struggling to keep the mountain fortress running…” Game Over

Poseidon Energy – nuclear power plant, we can vote on whatever kind of infestation it might have. Optional simple ending (skill check computers and electronics at 7?), “ In a moment of selflessness not seen since before the cataclysm you choose to overload the reactor hoping to wipe the cancer from the face of the Earth.” Game Over

The Compound – Cult Mecca, a chance to implement the more advanced cult units. Optional ending (skill check first aid and fabrication at 7?), “Following the research of the cult experiments you discover the key to controlling the infection is preserving the brain while allowing the body to revivify. With no one to aid you, you are forced to build a machine to perform the procedure for you. Everything goes dark for only a second… when you realize that you have failed. Strapped to the table you endlessly convulse as necrotic neurons in your spine fight for control over your body.” Game Over

The Plant – a robotics plant… not sure if I could keep a factory interesting on this scale, but I’m up for suggestions

Melchior Labs – chance to expand on lore or write a simple ending (skill check computers and first aid at 7?), “You hole up in the labs and spend the rest of your life futilely searching for a cure…” Game Over

Airport – could do military or civilian. Planes wouldn’t be more than vehicles with no wheels or we could just make them structures with salvageable engines just sitting where they should be. Either way, they would simply be place holders for if/when we get around to it. Optional simple ending (skill check driving and mechanics at 7?), “ After a day or two of repair work you take off in the small plane. The hours pass as you fruitlessly search for some remnant of civilization. With navigation systems down, returning home would be nearly impossible. The engine begins to stall as you find your journey coming to an end…” Game Over

Vault # - a civilian vault inspired by any one you like from the fallout universe

Other – any idea, blueprint, or drawing you might have I can add to the poll

Hooray for bad endings! I want my characters to (sadly) retire in a “not getting eaten”/more memorable kind-a way. If wouldn’t be expanded into more than a paragraph or so… but I think it would be cool. Maybe even make it skill/chance based so there would be some incentive to throwing a character to the roulette tables.[/spoiler]

A more generic military base would be a good one.

Military bases suck, do your best to avoid them. You’d think there would be tons of cool stuff but believe me, the majority of a base is barracks, admin buildings, forests, and motor pools. Maybe a base geared for an imminent attack would be cool but living on one is far far from ‘interesting/cool.’

Ever been to Ft. Hood?
As far as US Army bases go, technically speaking they’re in a perpetual state of High Alert.
Something about being one of the first strike point in the case of a Counter Force strategy.
(Which also says many horrible things about the state of US military security considering the recent attacks)

Life there?
Boring.
There’s hardly anything interesting/cool that the common man/woman can get access to.
And even the secure parts are relatively boring.
…Aside from elements of Enduring Stockpile and the Operation Downfall relics, which are cool by default (but incredibly dangerous), but let’s set that aside as irrelevant.

So yeah. I have to agree with you entirely.
Military bases are kind of bland.
After all, there are reasons why G.I’s give them names like Ft. Puke, Ft. Blister, and Ft. Braggart.

Ya, lets just say I spend a fair bit of time on bases. Thankfully not Hood.

Yes! The only good endings are bad endings! Wait, that doesn’t sound right… :smiley:

Unilateral design-doc change, Kevin?

A smaller project that would come in handy for other work in progress would be a train station. I’m working on getting wuzzy’s train tacks in the game, but we don’t really have anything for them to connect to right now.

Support. Should link to subways if any are present, ideally.