[SOLVED] Why can't i open the game?

Hey, i just found out about this game and it looks pretty cool.

I got the Windows version (i’m currently on Windows 7), yet when i double click “cataclysm-tiles.exe”, nothing happens…

I downloaded the same version in another pc with Windows 10 and it does work.

So could you help me figure out why the game isn’t loading?

Thanks in advance.

Did you download the game from this page: http://en.cataclysmdda.com/ on the right?

Yeah, I’m sure, the “Windows” under the “Stable Releases”

Off the top of my head, I can think of two reasons.

The first one is permissions. Maybe the user account doesn’t have the right permissions to execute an exe downloaded from the web. You’d probably get a message about this though if you’re using a home computer with relatively default settings. A computer at work or at school might be different. It could also be something inside the folder that the exe requires that doesn’t have the right permissions.

The second one is that you’re running a linux or mac that can’t run exe files. In which case you will need to run an emulator. But again you’ll probably get a pop up message about that.

But to collect more info, if you open up task manager, do you see the process running for a little bit before disappearing or does it not start up there at all?

Windows on Linux or Mac?

Just me not reading right :o.

Try redownloading, could be a corrupt file.

I doubt is that, i’m the only user of the PC and i’ve also tried the Run as administrator and all that stuff.

Yes, i just checked and it does appear for a moment, i can also see the borders of the window with the name of the game on it but it goes away in a second

I did this as well, unfortunately didn’t work

I appreciate you trying to help, thank you.

Could be anti-virus overreacting, but most of them will usually say something about taking action. Have you tried running as administrator?

I don’t have an Antivirus lol. And yeah, I tried the administrator and compatibility modes

I don’t have an Antivirus lol.[/quote]

Are you sure? Do you mean you purposefully disabled all the anti-virus you could find on your computer or do you mean that you haven’t gone out of your way to install one? If it is the latter, there still might be some anti-virus software on there that you may not know about. I don’t use windows 7, but if you’ve done any windows updates at all it there’s a chance you have anti-virus on your computer.

If all else fails, try booting up in safe mode and see if the executable will run.

I don’t have an Antivirus lol.[/quote]

Are you sure? Do you mean you purposefully disabled all the anti-virus you could find on your computer or do you mean that you haven’t gone out of your way to install one? If it is the latter, there still might be some anti-virus software on there that you may not know about. I don’t use windows 7, but if you’ve done any windows updates at all it there’s a chance you have anti-virus on your computer.

If all else fails, try booting up in safe mode and see if the executable will run.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure, since I installed Windows 7 and didn’t do any updates, I’m still gonna try what you said in the morning, I’ll let you know what happened

Alright, i found a way to solve this:

I went to config/options.txt

There, look for:

SOFTWARE_RENDERING false

and change it to:

SOFTWARE_RENDERING true

After this the game opened, but I appreciate the help!