So Long And Thanks For all The (Fried) Fish

I have missed the Batter Fried Fish recipe from CDDA for a while now. I’m not sure if it has been taken out of the game for good or if it was removed in the updates that I happen to have installed but so far as I remember I haven’t been able to make it for a year? Something like that.

Anyway, does anyone have this in their game? I’ve checked the Chezzo page many times and it’s still showing as ‘auto learned’. I know that isn’t able to be taken for gospel but it’s fried fish. Not exactly a complex cooking recipe. Along with this being missing I also can’t find ‘Fish Sandwich’ and ‘Fish and Chips’ which were favourite foods to make with my fried fish. It’s hardly game breaking but I do much being able to do something more with my fish than just smoke it or salt it or other simple things like that (although with the new Sushi cooking books I do have some more tasty options now). The current toon I’m most playing has the ‘gourmet’ trait and as she lives right next to a river it’s a shame she isn’t able to make better use of this resource. My second toon is a wilderness guy and he would also like to vary his diet up a bit…

My other problem is that I’m no longer updating CDDA. I went into JSON to see if there was a very obvious way to just add the fried fish dish in myself the way I usually do when I ‘fix’ things I don’t like, like all of the archery problems, but I’m not that familiar with the way recipes tie in with books and I’m pretty sure that I would need to make multiple adjustments if it was possible. If this is what I need to do would some very kind soul please give me specific directions on what needs changing where?

Well, my PC is rendering, so I cant check for ya yet. But, I have seen it in grocery stores and the such, so I would assume it’s in there. However, I’m not on the latest of 0.e, so there’s that. Just checked looks like it’s in there Batter fried fish (craft) - Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Yes, as I said, I can see it in the Chezzo pages. I always have been able to do so. I just haven’t been able to craft it in game for so long I forget.

I just spawned in all the stuff and was able to make the batter fried fish just fine.
Are you sure you are meeting all the requirements?
Screenshot from 2021-02-17 07-52-02

Fish sandwich seems to be present and craft-able as well.

Screenshot from 2021-02-17 07-59-24

I don’t remember ever seeing “Fish and chips” but then again, I haven’t done much with fried fish in the past, so I don’t know about that one. Maybe that was added with a mod you were using?

My food handling skill is 8 and there aren’t any other requirements other than ingredients. I have all of those but it wouldn’t matter anyway,. it would still show up in the crafting menu.

Hmm, strange. Well at any rate, the recipes are still in the game.
I don’t know why they aren’t showing up for you.

Maybe try a fresh install of the game? You can just copy over your save file from the old install, just back everything up first before trying anything.

I thought about doing that if someone confirmed for me that Fried Fish are in but, tbh, I’ve made so many tweaks to the archery damage to get it to a workable state again that I’m not keen on messing around with it. I’m too worried about breaking it and then losing these characters along with the numerous ones I’ve lost during upgrades over the years. If there was a way to just add the recipe into JSON and have it work I’ll do it but I’m too wary of making something go boing to do anything more drastic.

A more precise fix might be in order then.
The one you want to replace is /data/json/recipes/recipe_food.json.
That’s the file with the fish recipes in it. Just replace it with a fresh version from a clean download.

That should fix it.

Awesome. I’ll give that a try now.

Well, it was a great idea, but unfortunately the issue apparently isn’t that the recipe isn’t ‘in’ the JSON file. It is there:

{
“type”: “recipe”,
“activity_level”: “LIGHT_EXERCISE”,
“result”: “fish_fried”,
“category”: “CC_FOOD”,
“subcategory”: “CSC_FOOD_MEAT”,
“skill_used”: “cooking”,
“difficulty”: 3,
“charges”: 1,
“time”: “16 m”,
“qualities”: [ { “id”: “CUT”, “level”: 1 }, { “id”: “COOK”, “level”: 2 } ],
“tools”: [ [ [ “surface_heat”, 8, “LIST” ] ] ],
“components”: [ [ [ “fish”, 2 ] ], [ [ “any_butter_or_oil”, 1, “LIST” ] ], [ [ “batter”, 1, “LIST” ] ] ]
},

But, regardless, I can’t see it in game. How very frustrating.

Maybe someone with a much better knowledge of how these things work can tell me why it isn’t showing up.

Ohhh. Maybe I’ve hidden it somehow… I saw some post about that once. I’ll go and try and find out how that works.

Nope :frowning: I have no hidden recipes apparently. Well, I’ve got no clue :slight_smile:

Off the top of my head, it could be a couple reasons.
It could be a mod you are using is either changing the requirements or removing it completely, or it could be that you have accidentally broken something over time.
Have you kept track of what files you changed? You mentioned doing things with archery.

Instead of trying to fix this copy, maybe try copying your changes (the files you edited) over to a fresh copy. That way, if it doesn’t work. there is no harm done.
Just copy your changes and save files over, and see how it goes.

By the way, what mods are you using?

It’s not going to be my archery changes; they are very recent. I had a ‘F**k this bs!’ moment with my innawoods character a few weeks ago, who, with an archery skill of 6, a compound heavy bow and broadhead arrows couldn’t even scratch a Migo at close range with precise shots. My fried fish issue has been going on since forever.

My mods change with my builds but atm they are:

“dda”,
“package_bionic_professions”,
“aftershock”,
“crt_expansion”,
“alt_map_key”,
“speedydex”,
“stats_through_kills”,
“StatsThroughSkills”

and

“dda”,
“package_bionic_professions”,
“Arcana”,
“MST_Extra”,
“aftershock”,
“speedydex”,
“stats_through_kills”,
“StatsThroughSkills”

respectively.

Hmm, it looks like it might be MST_extra. It overrides recipe_food.json and does not have the fish recipe.
I’ll test it out real quick.
If that’s the case, then that should be fairly easy to fix.

No, it’s not mst_extra. I’ll keep adding.

The game doesn’t care about the names of files, it cares about the content.

Well, it’s not the mods.
I don’t know what it could be. The only other thing I can think of is. if you’ve had the characters for awhile it could just be a save compatibility problem.

How old is the version you are using?

It’s been about a month since my last update, I’m on 0.E-8852-gf360c7f . The launcher is about a year old. I bought a new pc about a year ago and started from scratch. I can’t remember if I’ve updated the launcher, I remember having problems with that in the past and I might not have bothered.

Anyway, I have downloaded the latest stable to a different harddrive and lauched a few games with various mods - everything looks fine there, the recipe is available. I’m just unpacking the latest experimental now and I’ll trial that. If it works, I will try slowly shifting my mods over. I’m actually only worried about aftershock - I think that that has been really altered recently and moved away from ‘scifi’ to ‘completely different game set on alien planet’. I don’t want that and it’s one of the reasons I had decided to not update CDDA - I didn’t want the mod to get too far out of time with the core game because that often starts causing problems. I’m pretty much happy with the game as it stands so I figured it wouldn’t be a hardship to just not update for a year or whatever.

Ah, alrighty then. Oh yeah, aftershock. From what I remember, I think aftershock was always supposed to eventually be an overhaul mod. I haven’t looked into the latest news on it, but it seems to be coming along. I understand why you would feel that way though. For a while it has been the catch-all sci-fi stuff mod. Shame about “dark skies above” getting abandoned though, but I digress.
Good luck getting everything migrated, I hope it works out for you.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help.