Small Town/Rural generation

I really love CDDA’s maps and worlds, one thing that bugs me is how rare rural or outlying buildings are. Almost every world gen, you’ve got your dense urban cities, then empty wilderness, with not much in between. Over 100 map gens I think I’ve seen a rural house or roadside food cart twice. Maybe adding some option to better represent the rural or countryside areas of New England would be nice, if it’s even possible. Some kind of option during world creation to seed more “wilderness” areas with small towns, hamlets, or just isolated buildings. While this can very rarely happen in the current world creation, I’d like to see it more so that survivors who don’t have the means to fight zombie hordes have more options rather than just staying in the city or living inna’woods.

I’d really like this too, but I don’t have a map generation algorithm handy that would do it, if I did I’d add it ASAP.

Something like multiple city types per world type maybe?
The “city” field is currently a single global thing. But it wouldn’t be all that hard to turn it into an array and have per-city types.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:3, topic:12142”]Something like multiple city types per world type maybe?
The “city” field is currently a single global thing. But it wouldn’t be all that hard to turn it into an array and have per-city types.[/quote]

You can change the city field (if you mean the ‘size of cities’ option) on the fly while playing the game. If you then go into an omap that has not been generated yet, it uses the new stats. Is that what you mean?

I mean something like this being done automatically, per city.
Say, City A is generated as Town (with current master stats), but City B rolls a Ruined Town and gets 10x chance for the “ruined” mapgen special.

a lot of NE is spread out rural areas.

routeside houses, reclusive rich people who have to drive 20+ minutes to buy bread, hiking trails, farmsteads, fields of wild wheat, bogland, ranches, and rustic towns with a church, green field, and city hall in one area

I mean something like this being done automatically, per city.
Say, City A is generated as Town (with current master stats), but City B rolls a Ruined Town and gets 10x chance for the “ruined” mapgen special.[/quote]

Yeah that would be nice. (I did notice that even with the higher town size settings (7) you can get towns of only 4 buildings).

The infrastructure to trigger different types of “cities” would be fairly trivial, what we don’t have is the code that actually generates them.

How bout Mycus towns, ones that are just entirely on shrooms.

Could we have an easy way to implement into generation towns with broken windows, doors and maybe fires here and there, like a city that suffered a lot from the outbreak?
You know fiddling with the generation sounds so fun actually. Well, the coming up with ideas I guess. Coding in the generation does not sound that easy.

If the cities only differed by their regional settings, it would be easy.
Regional settings cover building distribution and specials. Specials can contain craters. Buildings can include things like “ruined house” (though it would require someone to write the json for it).

I would do it, but I have stuff to draw still. Was there a building editor? I’m pretty sure there was.
OK, sorry, no more topic derail. I’ll spoiler this.

Maps with damaged cities,random fires,lack of food are my dream. Just world in chaos

I was just about to post a new topic, as the forum suggested this thread…
Has the idea of an automated progression from small villages (less Z population, so it gives a gentle start) to bigger cities (with their initially, unsurmountable hordes) been given any attention lately, or has this been put on hold for the forseable future?

At least (thanks to Coolthulhu) I found out I can change the world settings in a running game to achieve the setting I was looking for.