No wonder its been so easy!

Don’t recall seeing anything about this, but apparently setting city size to 1 in the world generator produces no town/city like structures at all. I’ve created at least six worlds now, used “Debug” to reveal the map, and sure enough, nothing but farms, mansions, gas stations, apartments ect… None of the yellow house markers or even anything related to town/cities. Put city size to two and they show up.

I hope the wiki didn’t point that out, cuz then I’d be an idiot. Crap, now to start over. That’s fine. I can blow another six hours for sure. Wait! No work tomorrow. Make that 12 hours. :wink:

BTW - What kind of PRNG is being used with DDA? Standard LCG or something else? Just curious…

People often use it to play a more ‘survival’ based character. In the long term, bigger cities are actually easier due to all the loot, books and guns they contain.

Hm.
Maybe a line could be added to the option to clarify this.

With a city size of 1, you might find a single lone house at a crossroad, but it’s unlikely.

Now, if only city size adjusted the frequency of special buildings, you could really play a survival character in some empty vast expanse of nothing but trees and roads, like New Hampshire or northern Canada.

Always wondered why “no cities” was 1 … whereas making it 0 would pass the brain-test better. “Choose zero for zero cities”, ya’ know?

BTW … try cranking city size UP, and loot size significantly down. Then its like playing in Boston after a looting/riot happened for that other kind of authentic New England experience. lol

City size 0 crashes the game when it tries to generate the world, hence the minimum size of 1.

How about a decimal interger?

Like .9-.1

City size is measured in the radius of squares, so decimals are meaningless. You can’t have .5 of a house.

We could possibly kludge in a system whereby if size < 1 it generates size one cities but only a percentage of the time.

You’d still get size one towns, just in reduced quantities.

[quote=“Rivet, post:9, topic:4577”]We could possibly kludge in a system whereby if size < 1 it generates size one cities but only a percentage of the time.

You’d still get size one towns, just in reduced quantities.[/quote]

That works, and makes sense. Gives less frequent but not “none”.

You could just offset the numbers displayed to the player -1 each and call it a day, lol.
Let the player select 0 and have it do what “1” actually does right now.

That was basically my hangup: “1=0” currently. Picking size 1 gives you 0 cities. Whereas, as a player, I’d assume 1 would give “minimal”, but not none. If that makes sense.

I like the kludge-in idea.