Small additionto the evac shelter

Hello,

in order to make random NPCs more viable I believe it is neccessary to have a piece of furniture available, in order to protect your stuff from thieves. Now, this had been discussed a couple of times, coming to the solution that locks would be the ideal way of handling stuff, however I propose this idea (which I believe I can just code myself):

• In evac shelters you can find a “locker” that is easily lockable by using an electronic “evac key-card” on it, which you can find in one of the regular lockers.

The in-lore idea here being, that the designers of the evac shelters considered that there could be thieves around, trying to steal stuff from the poor evacuees, so they give them a robust “safe” to store their valuables in, and which is easily accessible.
“Evac Shelter Cards” are usable in every evac shelter.

If you have better ideas for names, please come forward with them.

If a dev is currently working on locks and advanced mechanisms and such, this idea is probably not as merge-worthy, but that’s one of the reasons I created this thread.

TL;DR: One (?) “Locker” in every evac-shelter, with also an electric key card for opening/locking that “locker”. Is robust, very easily accessible and pretty much the only purpose is to hide your stuff from NPCs.

They could be called evacards and evalockers, or maybe just e-cards and e-lockers

Definitely needs a vehicle version too, possibly having an energy requirement for both. Somehow put a battery inside the locker to give it power, or maybe the ones inside the shelter already come with batteries, which could be abused unless there are a lot of batteries like 1000 and its non-replaceable like the electric drill.

Sealing crates provides this functionality already, build a crate, put stuff in, seal it.

1. No need to have weird cards, just make the lockers lockable and unlockable by the player using them, and describe it as a combination lock.
  2. NPCs should be able to force them with crowbars, and do so if they’re not friendly to the PC.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:7788”]1. No need to have weird cards, just make the lockers lockable and unlockable by the player using them, and describe it as a combination lock.
2. NPCs should be able to force them with crowbars, and do so if they’re not friendly to the PC.[/quote]

1. Stethoscope-equipped folks should be able to crack your lock. :wink:

[quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:7788”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:7788”]1. No need to have weird cards, just make the lockers lockable and unlockable by the player using them, and describe it as a combination lock.
2. NPCs should be able to force them with crowbars, and do so if they’re not friendly to the PC.[/quote]

1. Stethoscope-equipped folks should be able to crack your lock. ;-)[/quote]

2. You should make booby traps on the inside of lockers so wise folks with stethoscopes get a surprise.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:6, topic:7788”][quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:7788”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:7788”]1. No need to have weird cards, just make the lockers lockable and unlockable by the player using them, and describe it as a combination lock.

2. You should make booby traps on the inside of lockers so wise folks with stethoscopes get a surprise.[/quote]

3. This of course also applies to safes, including the ones you crack.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:6, topic:7788”][quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:7788”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:7788”]1. No need to have weird cards, just make the lockers lockable and unlockable by the player using them, and describe it as a combination lock.

2. You should make booby traps on the inside of lockers so wise folks with stethoscopes get a surprise.[/quote]

Ah yes, the old sneaky Claymore/hand grenade inside the save, favourite of drug dealers/vengeful jerks.

Yeah, there is probably no need for weird cards, I just wanted to make it more “futuristic”.

Crates provide a similar functionality, but

a) require more time to construct
b) require nails (and 2x4s?) to seal, so you can’t do it indefinitely
c) are “awkward” flavour-wise, storing stuff in a crate you always seal by nailing a few boards on top only to remove them again a little later

(If it needed power, I guess we could say that it could use the same power as the console, as the requirements for electrical locks are minimal.)

If we make it a combination lock, we have to somehow explain how the player got to know the combination.
EDIT: Nvm, the locker is simply spawned in its open state.