Sinkholes

How do you get out of a sinkhole? I really, really don’t want to lose this character

I think a 30-ft rope can get you out, or you can blast your way out.

If you aren’t averse to cheating you can use the terrain editor to create some up stairs and just walk out.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:2, topic:3209”]I think a 30-ft rope can get you out, or you can blast your way out.

If you aren’t averse to cheating you can use the terrain editor to create some up stairs and just walk out.[/quote]

So if I have no explosives or ropes, it’s a guaranteed death?

You could dig or blast your way out with jackhammer/explosives or some other destructive substitute, but yeah, without anything it’s death by starvation (not too unlike real life).

[quote=“i2amroy, post:2, topic:3209”]I think a 30-ft rope can get you out, or you can blast your way out.

If you aren’t averse to cheating you can use the terrain editor to create some up stairs and just walk out.[/quote]

Fixed that 4 ya.

Cheating is a slippery slope…

how do you blast your way out?

sinkholes are only in spiderwebs right? or is this a new thing that pops up?

Well I guess your character is

sunk

(you don’t have anything handy to make a digging stick?)

They show up in swamps too.

They show up in swamps too.[/quote]

Spider sinkhole is a Trapdoor lair: those are a Good Thing as they can spawn Flamethrowers…and, more importantly, some with an upslope.

Spider sinkhole is a Trapdoor lair: those are a Good Thing as they can spawn [size=14pt]Flamethrowers[/size]…and, more importantly, some with an upslope.[/quote]

Good to know!
Time to get a rope and go spelunking.

Spider sinkhole is a Trapdoor lair: those are a Good Thing as they can spawn Flamethrowers…and, more importantly, some with an upslope.[/quote]

I never knew that, I’ve been playing since 0.3 and have always just avoided the spider webs like they were the plague. Except when I was using them to lose a few mobs.

If you fall in a sinkhole in a swamp, but the swamp is close to town, it is possible that a subway or sewer system might intersect it. If that happens, you can just walk out through the subway/sewer system. Even if it doesn’t there is usually jackhammers down there so that you could possibly tunnel out if you have spare gasoline on you. Most people don’t carry gasoline on them however, so yea for most people it’s just a slow death.

If it is in a spiders lair, I would be surprised if you couldn’t just walk on out through an upstairs. In fact, spider lairs with sinkholes seem to be really rare now. It sucks because I like building my houses on these places specifically to take advantage of the feature of having a basement.

And I could cheat them in, but I don’t because I like the challenge of finding that stuff legitimately.

I suppose houses in town will also have a basement too every now and then.

Ive found a sinkhole into an ant nest a few versions ago