Dem Sinkholes

I once had a character who was roaming the countryside finding dead scientists and soldiers, until he went into a swamp and, unfortunately, fell into a sinkhole. I tried using the debug menu (short distance travel on accident) and suffocated into a rock.

I’m assuming that you use a long rope for a legitimate way to get out, right? All I know is that there could be no way out and you die from dehydration or starvation.

Also as you guys can see this is my very first post on this forums but I’m not a newb, been playing since 0.6 and have been reading the forums since.

You can sometimes get lucky when the caves cross with subways/ sewers but yeah, just avoid getting into swamps, theres really nothing valuable in them unless you are doing the old slay all monster types challenge

So a long time lurker, but yeah sinkholes are the bane of existance and the reason why I don’t walk on swamps, PERIOD.
These disgraces have killed 2 of my survivors, one literally didn’t have the means to get out and the other had the sonic resonator bionic, I had to keep running laps back and forth with my joint tension racket since my solar pannels weren’t really going to work and metabolic interchange was a no go since I left the food at my car. Ended up going through 15 map tiles until I died of starvation.

Carrying a grappling hook when you are wandering in dangerous areas is a solution I believe.

Really? I thought a long rope would make sense, though that too would make sense…

Long rope is from top to bottom, grappling hook (with rope) is for bottom to top, eg: when you find yourself at the bottom with no stairs up.

Ohhhhh, ok thanks. Never realized that.

Not quite. Both are “save yourself from sinkhole”, but the grapnel gives an easier roll to actually have it catch. To my knowledge there’s no “hey, you can go Up here, if you have a grapnel” terrain in the game.

(Creating and letting the player know about such terrain is an important part of z-levels!)

[quote=“Kyriolexical Dino, post:3, topic:6404”]So a long time lurker, but yeah sinkholes are the bane of existance and the reason why I don’t walk on swamps, PERIOD.
These disgraces have killed 2 of my survivors, one literally didn’t have the means to get out and the other had the sonic resonator bionic, I had to keep running laps back and forth with my joint tension racket since my solar pannels weren’t really going to work and metabolic interchange was a no go since I left the food at my car. Ended up going through 15 map tiles until I died of starvation.[/quote]

Currently having to use this solution. Making my way to a nearby sewage treatment plant. Already ate my baseball bat and replaceable clothing. Hopefully the random rifts I have been finding aren’t between me and my destination.

[EDIT] And now I’ve turned to using my fusion blaster rifle as a digging implement. Good thing I have a breathing mask.
[EDIT x2] someone else apparently fell down the hole. YAY NPC! trade me something good to eat.

Just eat the NPC.

Yeah it’s just a trial and error thing. If you fall into one it just sucks to be you.

Wish they’d be stankholes instead. Full of loose mutagen and dangerous toxins. Where else would people dump toxic waste if not in a swamp? WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Just eat the NPC.[/quote]

Actually, he kind of spazzed out and started shooting at me. So I incorporated his location into my “tunneling” with the plasma cannon & suchlike. I used his corpse for water.

one entire doubled UPS charge later SUCCESS! I am frostbitten and dehydrated, but FREE!

Not quite. Both are “save yourself from sinkhole”, but the grapnel gives an easier roll to actually have it catch. To my knowledge there’s no “hey, you can go Up here, if you have a grapnel” terrain in the game.

(Creating and letting the player know about such terrain is an important part of z-levels!)[/quote]

It will come, I am sure. In the meantime we have ridiculous digging methods.

Wow, You guys need to prepare more often, as I never fall in si-
Collapsing rock
OH DEAR GOD WHY

10 hours later…

Urist McSinkholeExplorer Has Been Struck Down.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

XD

Wait, where the hell do you get a grappling hook?

GRAPPLING HOOK!

You can make yourself one with sufficient survival skill, or get really lucky in a sporting goods store.