Sinkholes/caverns

So, I dove down a sinkhole recently and found myself in a ‘cavern’ - a big, wide open area filled with corpses of what appeared to be ov1erweight construction workers: lots and lots of jackhammers and food. There was no way out, as it lacked a stairs up and was cut off from any subterranean system that might’ve led me to the surface. I have to assume that you’re meant to burrow your way out of these areas when you find yourself in them, hence the abundance of jackhammers - is that correct? The problem is they all come empty (naturally), so unless you happen to be carrying gasoline on you they’re invariably useless in getting yourself untrapped.

Looks like you fell into a mine. Make your you’ve checked every square inch of all of the walls to make sure you havr an exit up or down.

It’s not a mine. Mines are brown Ms on the map, caverns are light-grey 0s. Also corpses in mines never generate food or dozens of jackhammers.

[quote=“halberdsturgeon, post:3, topic:1476”]It’s not a mine. Mines are brown Ms on the map, caverns are light-grey 0s. Also corpses in mines never generate food or dozens of jackhammers.[/quote]Food, no, jackhammers yes. I dunno how you’ll get out then…

I already restarted. I’m just posting because I figure this is a half implemented thing which may have been forgotten. You’re probably supposed to be able to tunnel your way out of these areas, hence all the jackhammers.

Huh. I recall encountering massive random cavern complexes back in 02Feb when I was going around mapping the underground. (Artifact with the “map” ability is your friend. Kinda.)

I wonder if there was a connection to the sewer or subway lines? Most such caverns I’d found were at least around such lines. Not a whole lot of help, but might be worth thinking about. (Perhaps a player-audible-only dripping sound from sewer lines/drafty sound from subway lines, conveniently ignored in the lines themselves?)