Sickness - The Common Cold

I have been trying some things in the latest build with Deon’s tileset and I dunno if I started on some magical vortex of flu bugs or something but I cannot seem to stop becoming sick. My character has remained at a comfortable temperate and I even gave her a high strength and Disease Resistance, but within the first day she had influenza and within 2-hours of overcoming that she acquired a Common Cold. I used the debug menu to give myself some royal jelly, but within an hour (game time) of “You feel healthier…” my character starts coughing again. I went through a stack of 7 royal jellies, catching one cold right after the last despite my traits that would suggest otherwise.

Is there some factor I’m not considering? I did not take vitamins or a flu shot, but I would have thought my trait would have helped a little more… and that I def would not have suffered the ailments one after another like that. Did diseases get cranked up to 11 or something?

That’s… weird. Royal Jelly should protect you far a long while, IIRC.

If you get bitten a lot & care little for what you eat exactly, your immunity goes down. I’m pretty sure that getting wet while still shaky is coded as _bad a long, long time ago.
And another thing I’ve noticed, losing health to smoke weakens you silly, so you might wanna pay attention to torso health and body warmth.

I was rocking a rain coat so I never got wet and I always cauterized any bites or deep wounds. And since I was just testing something I used the debug menu to give myself MREs so I never had reason to eat raw food or cook anything and potentially suffer smoke inhalation. And again my character was at “Comfortable” the whole time as far as I knew.

I’m just wondering if some bit of code got bungled up coz I would have thought, especially with Disease Resistance of all things, and using multiple royal jellies to cure myself, I wouldn’t have gotten colds and the flu one after another within hours of recovery from the last one.

I’m having the same problem. My character has Disease Immune, has used multiple royal jellies, and yet has Common Cold after Common Cold after Influenza after Common Cold. Get a new disease in a couple of minutes.

I take 2 vitamins every 12 hours (I currently have 116 of them left, I find so many), I haven’t gotten sick yet.

Vitamins:
Better than royal jelly

I had this experience too (cold coming on right after royal jelly, ad nauseum), but I just ended up making my guy disease immune out of frustration. Once he was disease immune, I stopped getting it, though. Until I took away disease immune a few days later, in which case I got the cold again almost right away. So I figured it was a bug and kept disease immune on. I had already spent most of the first few weeks of my game time sleeping, and was (get ready for it) just /tired/ of it.

I was still learning the game, and was probably pretty unhealthy, but shit.

using royal jelly doesnt get rid of the problem. The problem isnt that you have an illness. Its that your immune system is to weak. Thats why you keep getting it. Pop some vitamins over the course of a few days, then a royal jelly, and you should be good.

Orange juice/ fresh fruit should help with common colds.

Don’t think thats actually coded in, but that would be legit.

Also, this is making me want to take that vaccine shot ASAP.

Yeah, I read up on it and was aware of the immunological dynamic beforehand. I had taken the vaccine shot and clugged vitamins regularly. That’s part of why I was so frustrated. I had eaten a bit of junk food, but after that my little guy had turned over a new leaf and was Mr. Healthy-Man, but there was just no recovering. I’m going to watch for when that happens again, because except for one other occasion where I started over in frustration, it’s been reasonable.

Yeah, I read up on it and was aware of the immunological dynamic beforehand. I had taken the vaccine shot and clugged vitamins regularly. That’s part of why I was so frustrated. I had eaten a bit of junk food, but after that my little guy had turned over a new leaf and was Mr. Healthy-Man, but there was just no recovering. I’m going to watch for when that happens again, because except for one other occasion where I started over in frustration, it’s been reasonable.[/quote]
There is a simpler solution, that I use-colds and flus have a infection strength of 3, wear a filter mask(environmental protection 7), and you will never get a cold or flu, and never have to take vitamins. A filter mask is one of the first things I look for when I start a new character, not only does it protect against smoke, but it also protects against common disease and is not too encumbering.

My character never takes vitamins, I just leave them in the houses-I just wear a filter mask 24/7.

Pretty confident they’re re-adding the speed drop from Mouth encumbrance, so might want to think about that when wearing the heavy-duty stuff 24/7.

Fruit & juice does help: that’s the “Health” hidden stat on consumables. Good luck getting it, routinely, after the first few days. That stuff tends to go bad in a hurry.

OJ is in fact healthy if you can get it, but yea, good luck with that. You’re just lucky we don’t want to hassle with Scurvy :wink:
Also yea, mouth encumbrance has been turned back on, so wearing a filter mask will drop your speed due to restricted breathing.

You’re in New England.

CRANBERRIES

[quote=“KA101, post:15, topic:2951”]You’re in New England.

CRANBERRIES[/quote]
Good point, cranberries are acually CRAZY good for you, but you do realize where cranberries grow… swamps…

EDIT: fact checking
Oops, it seems they don’t normally grow in water, that’s just a cultivation/harvesting technique.
They grow in “bogs” which is kind of mushy and water saturated, but not submerged. A cranberry farm would just have fields of cranberry bushes criscrossed by dykes, but they wouldn’t be flooded. Still good to add for flavor (ha)

This reminds me that we really could use a bit more New England-ification of the game.

The hockey sticks and masks were a good start, but I think if we had more foods that reflect the locale it would help with overall verisimilitude.

And you can drink your cranberry juice dreamin’ of 'merikuh sunny CA and sing “So Cold in Ireland”.
GOD, gotta try that irish stew thing… :stuck_out_tongue:

Sickness really needs to be toned down, or at least given some sort of debug menu option. It’s gotten to the point where every character I get has the flu within a day. My past 3 characters have had day 1 flus. My most recent character had disease resistant, and I started as a hobo, not knowing alcoholism apparently makes you guaranteed to be sick for the rest of your life. 6 days of flu, then within an hour of the flu going away, I caught the cold.

I’m just going to wish in royal jellies every game until they give me the option to play the game normally.

Suffering withdrawal causes big health penalties (much like the real world). You are actually much less likely to get sick as a hobo if you work off your addiction in steps rather then just going straight cold turkey. Also eating/drinking healthy and taking some vitamins/flu shots can help avoid it.

In other words, you picked hobo, and you decided to go cold turkey, so it’s your own dang fault that you got sick. That’s what you get for taking all those extra points. :stuck_out_tongue: