Show off your base

Firstly: I need to copy you Allison, your setup is neat.

Secondly: I recognise you, Flashlight horder! I’m on the Bay12 forums as well. In fact, you posted in my Original Insults thread.

Hey it’s my favorite Illogical Box!

Here’s a relatively recent base of mine, I too had a solar rig than went through the wall. The little farm plot is the result of the collapsed roof from jaqueshammering through the wall for the solar rig… waste not want not. It’s all set up in a refugee centre, the permanent light is really awesome, way better than cuddling up to a console. I had a fermenting vat, still (both never used), charcoal things and stuff… on the counter by the beds is a petrified eye so guess how this character died.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I would post my most recent one but for the 5 people that watch my videos there would be spoilers (plus it’s not as good (yet)).

Where can I find your videos rameseniblet?

In the link in my sig. checks that it works It does!

Neato!

What happened to the NPCs?

What happened to the NPCs?[/quote]

You know, I have no idea. They were OK with me hanging around anyway but one update they randomly disappeared, but I didn’t notice right away so I’ not even sure which. I know one of them randomly died early on and I’m still not sure how, it was a merchant sealed in a room (might have been radiation). Another died from a random triffid visitor, the rest idk. Just gone.

What happened to the NPCs?[/quote]

You know, I have no idea. They were OK with me hanging around anyway but one update they randomly disappeared, but I didn’t notice right away so I’ not even sure which. I know one of them randomly died early on and I’m still not sure how, it was a merchant sealed in a room (might have been radiation). Another died from a random triffid visitor, the rest idk. Just gone.[/quote]

Are you radioactive. :expressionless:

Little wood shack. Storeroom, bedroom, workroom, and big farm. I did sort of cheat by moving fruit trees from the surrounding woods to the farm, but I made sure to delete the originals. To have the open plan workroom, I had to build surrounding walls to put up the roof and then knock them down again. Spring has sprung, so I hit up all the marked strawberry/blueberry fields I could find to kickstart the farm.

Wooden barrels of liquid fertilizer out back, wooden barrels of salt water and cooking oil inside. The solar rig, the four wheeler, and the in-house rig all are set up to use detachable storage batteries, which is nice. If I find another welder (or a book that lets me make them), I’m going to make a single tile draggable welder for all my vehicle work needs.

I’m basically in the middle of nowhere. The little swamp tile on the south side of my lake is far enough away (and too small, I guess?) to not spawn any swamp nasties, while still being a useful source of salt water.

[quote=“MormonPartyboat, post:30, topic:8749”]

Little wood shack. Storeroom, bedroom, workroom, and big farm. I did sort of cheat by moving fruit trees from the surrounding woods to the farm, but I made sure to delete the originals. To have the open plan workroom, I had to build surrounding walls to put up the roof and then knock them down again. Spring has sprung, so I hit up all the marked strawberry/blueberry fields I could find to kickstart the farm.[/quote]
Oooh, the “get wheat and cotton seeds and never ever need food or rag pinatas” setup. Mind telling what’s your field-fence and what’s in the shack above it all?

Also, practical advice: make a mod with all changes you made to files. Item definitions override by themselves, recipes need "override": true.
And change cotton seeds to have "charges": 2 (instead of CHARGES they have) and both cotton ball from cotton boll recipes to produce "charges_mult" : 1 instead of amount. It saves a lot of headache from unstacking cotton if you’re not using AIM.

Haven’t found either of those kinds of seeds yet :frowning: But perpetual blueberries are a thing now.

The field fence is a makeshift fence (something like this http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/farm-fence-24052997.jpg ) that I modded in for purely decorative reasons. Takes longer and uses more tools/wood and slows less than the regular picket fence, but doesn’t take nails.

The little shack to the top is a crapper. I throw all my old books there.

I’ve been keeping anything added in a separate folder, but good tip on the override thing. Luckily I’ve also been keeping notes on what I’ve changed.

Will do, if I get lucky and find a farm somewhere. I may want to wait until winter to go seriously exploring, since I’ll have nothing to do then, but it’s like 170 days away and I’ll probably drive into a minefield before that. May just ~godmode~ in some seeds to play with in the meantime.

I’m not fond of destroying books, myself, even in a zombie apocalypse. :frowning: Hell, especially in a zombie apocalypse.

Except for phone books, Gideon Bibles, and issues of Alpha Male Quarterly. Those are OK.

I’m not fond of destroying books, myself, even in a zombie apocalypse. :frowning: Hell, especially in a zombie apocalypse.

Except for phone books, Gideon Bibles, and issues of Alpha Male Quarterly. Those are OK.[/quote]

I normally play such that I use a temporary base until I can get a vehicle working, then load it up and go…and it’s hard to justify all the space once I’ve worked my way through reading everything. This is the first real long term permanent base I’ve built, and I’ve a small mountain of firewood so I don’t have any excuse for not saving them, haha.

I’m starting work on an underground storage place for non-perishable food and weapons/ammo, which will let me reorganize my storage area and workshop. That should clear out enough space to start a small library in the current storeroom and add some more furniture in the bedroom.

[quote=“MormonPartyboat, post:34, topic:8749”]I normally play such that I use a temporary base until I can get a vehicle working, then load it up and go…and it’s hard to justify all the space once I’ve worked my way through reading everything. This is the first real long term permanent base I’ve built, and I’ve a small mountain of firewood so I don’t have any excuse for not saving them, haha.

I’m starting work on an underground storage place for non-perishable food and weapons/ammo, which will let me reorganize my storage area and workshop. That should clear out enough space to start a small library in the current storeroom and add some more furniture in the bedroom.[/quote]
Speaking of mountains of firewood, does charcoal work?

Er, isn’t underground a little bit colder, and thus more suitable for storing spoiling things (last time I checked fridge did 0.2 multiplier on ambient-temperature decay, not set a flat rate) than ground level?

Did you build that yourself Mormon?

Yup! Both the house and the farm field next to it used to be forests; after clearcutting them and building what’s there, I still had about 20,000 space worth of logs/2x4s left over that I’ve been burning into charcoal.

Probably, but I still have something like 200 splintered wood from when I was getting my construction skill up, and that picture was taken shortly after finally getting a vehicle kitchen set up. Things are looking up! Maybe I’ll start making reams of paper.

Probably, but I’ve an easy source of food nearby since I haven’t cleared out the nearest ant nest, and I’m processing fruit as soon as I return to home. Turning an ant into meat pies every few days keeps the doctor away.

Is this for rolling papers or paper cartridges?

Both!

Here’s mine. Scratch built. I shouldn’t be surprised but the biggest problem was either the garage door (a log gate, can’t remember what they’re called) or the downstairs (holy cow does mining wipe you out).

The basement, basically the armory. I built lockers into each wall niche to store armor/gear ‘sets’. While arbitrary, it does make it easier when I want to come get my ‘heavy survivor set’ and bigbigbig guns. As opposed to merely bigbig guns.

The infrastructure. Basically the same as what AlliW posted above, a solar array built through the walls with milcomp armor/boards replacing the walls. Been ridiculously lucky this play-through and disassembled a Plutonium generator for the Minireactor for the base. Only found 1 copy of Robots for Fun and Profit though and that was like year 2.

Other thoughts: Gardens to the east, walled in, locker with seeds/fertilizer in the corner. Turrets (beam, so I don’t have to grunt ammo around for them) at a few points, and planning to add more when materials come available. Also walled in the solar array, same as reasons above, annoying to fix. Set a Welding Rig and Forge up in the crafting room and the garage, mostly for aesthetics, as I can’t run the one in my rig enough to even dent the batteries. Metal doors, no exterior view (if I can see them, they can see me) but lights in every interior room. Well, big ol water cistern in the north room.

Fun to build. I think I’m done with this guy, though, even if I’m missing some of the CBM’s for 100 completism.