Show off your base

Here we have my base:

I have a car I found in the forest (the solar bubble type) parked to my north, along with the Phridg Logick (a vehicle made to serve as my fridge) and my Pedalo Box (my raiding vehicle. I have piles of books and fabric around the console, along with drugs, electronics, fire stuff and alcohol on the counter, and weapons below that. I have piles of food, containers and animal byproducts to my north inside.

The garbage pile is the pile 2 sqrs up and one sqr to the right. To the bottom-left, there is my sleeping pile of clothes. To the bottom-right, there is my anvil and crucible.

Are you an alpha mutant, out of idle curiosity?

Not yet - I’m on my way though.

Not yet - I’m on my way though.[/quote]

What kind of mutant are you? I’m curious about those dreams. :o

What kind of mutant are you? I’m curious about those dreams. :o[/quote]

Those are Alpha dreams. Stage three, I believe.

What kind of mutant are you? I’m curious about those dreams. :o[/quote]

Those are Alpha dreams. Stage three, I believe.[/quote]

Hmmm, so alphas are leader mutants. That’s interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

If you’ve got a better idea for dreams reflecting someone who’s been upgraded to be Better, let me know. Those were the best I could come up with.

Nah, it works well enough. I can see the logic behind it. Also it fits the “Alpha” designation. Sorry if I sounded critical; I didn’t mean to be.

IDK your standard for mutant dreams, I haven’t even gotten to that stage of the game yet I’m still cowering behind walls and running from anything that looks different… But… what about “You dream of being surrounded by vague inferior beings.” or “You dream of comic heroes from the old days.” maybe something like that.

Back on topic. Time to show you folks what I meant in that other thread by “hybrid base.”

Above, that’s the inside of my base. Yes, it’s an evac shelter I made some home improvements upon. I use the lockers at the top-left for sorting my guns, ammo, and mods in separate piles, and the locker to the right of those is for non-gun weapons and things. At the top-right, I have an armchair built next to the eternal light source for sitting while I read; my bookcase is directly to its left. Sadly you will probably notice I never got around to organizing other things like that.

Also in the upper-right, south of the terminal, I’ve got one of the fancy new standing charcoal kilns and a wood pile; in the lower-right, you see my old kitchen, with counters and fireplace, and a standing wooden keg of water right by the door. On the south side, you see my utilities rig! I’ve got the kitchen set up with an RV kitchen (and water tank on the same tile), kitchen buddy, and minifridge all in a row of three adjacent tiles, and then to the left of those is a chem lab. You’ll also notice I placed aisles so I could access the doors I added, with a forge rig and welding rig on the far left for a metal shop. I went ahead and put important tools like my anvil, crucible, swage and die set, and tongs in the welding rig’s tool compartment.

All the utilities on the utility-rig row, except for the forge rig, have controls installed, so that I can access them from any point to flick on the dome lights (which illuminate the whole strip), the stereo system, the minifridge toggle, etc.

You might, however, be wondering how the hell I could have connected this to any outside solar generator, with that bloody wall in the way. Or why there’s an aisle on the right side when it doesn’t connect to any obvious utilities over there. Well…

That’s the complete “vehicle.” A lot more than meets the eye, huh? Those two panels of “wall”–which were originally the south pair of doors in the evac shelter–are actually boards installed in the vehicle. Those tiles, with the boards, link the generator outside to the utilities inside, while maintaining the presence of a “wall.” It even looks perfect. You’ll also notice that the two wooden doors (which ended up replacing the old windows, since I was using them to get in and out given that I blocked off access to the old doors) are also part of the vehicle. I did this for the specific reason that unlike non-vehicular wooden doors, they can let in light (did you notice that I could see through them in the first picture?) or have their curtains closed, allowing them to work as both doors and windows. This is actually the reason for the aisle tile on the right: to maintain a connection. I probably could have just built it as a separate rig, though. It also has the shortcoming that I can’t pull a wheelbarrow inside through those doors, because they collide with the “vehicle.”

As mentioned in the notes for the last picture, the water tank is installed on the same tile as the RV kitchen. Very convenient. I also have a storage battery installed on each of the eight tiles of the solar array proper. They recharged super-slowly when I was using regular solar panels, but once I switched to upgraded solar panels, they filled up nice and quick, and the eight batteries hold a charge extremely well.

Here’s a view of the solar array from outside the house. Notice the wood walls I built to protect the solar array; I recommend this, because they’re fragile and you don’t want to crash into them or anything. The three opaque doors, provided for outside access, are also part of the “vehicle,” though that isn’t actually necessary and I could replace them with standard wooden doors instead if I were so inclined. The door on the left there was created for left-side access to the second welding rig I built for actual vehicle work. The rack right by the door back into the shelter holds lots of spare vehicle parts.

You might have noticed the shelter has a basement, but I provided no picture. Nothing interesting down there. Just some junk piles and my bed and bedside table, upon which I keep my supply of three-litre jars of cough syrup. It is my treasure. Also not pictured: the shimmering portal about five map tiles away, right by my local woods, which I sealed up with wooden walls after killing all the nether critters that spawned with it. I’ve been in this base for a few 30-day seasons now and the walled-in portal has yet to cause me any trouble.

Anyway, hopefully this show and tell was helpful for those of you wondering how you could power facilities inside your house with a solar array. This setup doesn’t even require cables or moving batteries around!

Very nice setup, AllisonW!

warm fuzzies, I has them

[quote=“AllisonW, post:10, topic:8749”]Back on topic. Time to show you folks what I meant in that other thread by “hybrid base.”

Above, that’s the inside of my base. Yes, it’s an evac shelter I made some home improvements upon. I use the lockers at the top-left for sorting my guns, ammo, and mods in separate piles, and the locker to the right of those is for non-gun weapons and things. At the top-right, I have an armchair built next to the eternal light source for sitting while I read; my bookcase is directly to its left. Sadly you will probably notice I never got around to organizing other things like that.

Also in the upper-right, south of the terminal, I’ve got one of the fancy new standing charcoal kilns and a wood pile; in the lower-right, you see my old kitchen, with counters and fireplace, and a standing wooden keg of water right by the door. On the south side, you see my utilities rig! I’ve got the kitchen set up with an RV kitchen (and water tank on the same tile), kitchen buddy, and minifridge all in a row of three adjacent tiles, and then to the left of those is a chem lab. You’ll also notice I placed aisles so I could access the doors I added, with a forge rig and welding rig on the far left for a metal shop. I went ahead and put important tools like my anvil, crucible, swage and die set, and tongs in the welding rig’s tool compartment.

All the utilities on the utility-rig row, except for the forge rig, have controls installed, so that I can access them from any point to flick on the dome lights (which illuminate the whole strip), the stereo system, the minifridge toggle, etc.

You might, however, be wondering how the hell I could have connected this to any outside solar generator, with that bloody wall in the way. Or why there’s an aisle on the right side when it doesn’t connect to any obvious utilities over there. Well…

That’s the complete “vehicle.” A lot more than meets the eye, huh? Those two panels of “wall”–which were originally the south pair of doors in the evac shelter–are actually boards installed in the vehicle. Those tiles, with the boards, link the generator outside to the utilities inside, while maintaining the presence of a “wall.” It even looks perfect. You’ll also notice that the two wooden doors (which ended up replacing the old windows, since I was using them to get in and out given that I blocked off access to the old doors) are also part of the vehicle. I did this for the specific reason that unlike non-vehicular wooden doors, they can let in light (did you notice that I could see through them in the first picture?) or have their curtains closed, allowing them to work as both doors and windows. This is actually the reason for the aisle tile on the right: to maintain a connection. I probably could have just built it as a separate rig, though. It also has the shortcoming that I can’t pull a wheelbarrow inside through those doors, because they collide with the “vehicle.”

As mentioned in the notes for the last picture, the water tank is installed on the same tile as the RV kitchen. Very convenient. I also have a storage battery installed on each of the eight tiles of the solar array proper. They recharged super-slowly when I was using regular solar panels, but once I switched to upgraded solar panels, they filled up nice and quick, and the eight batteries hold a charge extremely well.

Here’s a view of the solar array from outside the house. Notice the wood walls I built to protect the solar array; I recommend this, because they’re fragile and you don’t want to crash into them or anything. The three opaque doors, provided for outside access, are also part of the “vehicle,” though that isn’t actually necessary and I could replace them with standard wooden doors instead if I were so inclined. The door on the left there was created for left-side access to the second welding rig I built for actual vehicle work. The rack right by the door back into the shelter holds lots of spare vehicle parts.

You might have noticed the shelter has a basement, but I provided no picture. Nothing interesting down there. Just some junk piles and my bed and bedside table, upon which I keep my supply of three-litre jars of cough syrup. It is my treasure. Also not pictured: the shimmering portal about five map tiles away, right by my local woods, which I sealed up with wooden walls after killing all the nether critters that spawned with it. I’ve been in this base for a few 30-day seasons now and the walled-in portal has yet to cause me any trouble.

Anyway, hopefully this show and tell was helpful for those of you wondering how you could power facilities inside your house with a solar array. This setup doesn’t even require cables or moving batteries around![/quote]

So THIS is what you meant!

I have to admit, if I wasn’t already committed to the design I’ve got… this would be my new plan of action. You’ve done exactly what I originally imagined I would do, before I decided to keep my fortress somewhat ‘mobile’ and make it a complete vehicle. Maybe I’ll even figure out how to get some screenshots of it once I’m finished with the main layout. But color me impressed. I love this design.

Oh, thank you kindly! But if your quasi-mobile base is half as impressive as your description made it sound, I can only imagine it’s glorious. It’s just a more ambitious project than I was ready to undertake, myself.

I got the screenshots by, uh, using the Steam overlay to snap screenshots with the F12 key. (I just switched to the graphical version of the game, not because I’m sold on tilesets, but because it has features the pure-ASCII version doesn’t, like playing nice with the aforementioned overlay. These features still work when playing with tilesets off, apparently.)

Very nice! Though I have to wonder if you’ve had any issues with attacks on your solar array? My primary character’s RV is papered in solar panels, and zombears approaching in the middle of the night usually present the most danger in that respect.

Nope! I’d say the walls take care of that, except for the part where I don’t think they’ve ever actually been tested. For what it’s worth, I don’t actually live in the middle of the woods, but just a few map tiles away.

Definitely protect your solar array though. Wood and nails aren’t scarce, so at least encase it in wooden walls or something. If nothing else, they have the advantage of being a separate entity from the solar array itself, so an enemy bashing the wall isn’t affecting the solar array in any way unless they actually break through and attack it.

Also, none of the tiles in the actual solar array itself, with the exception of the outside welding rig, actually stop movement–they’re just frames with a roof, battery, and solar panel mounted on them–so a monster trying to move through it won’t have anything to bash unless they’re trying to move through the welding rig tile (at least that’s only one tile) for some reason or they’re trying to break through the boards to get into the shelter (and at least the board tiles don’t have any sensitive stuff on them).

AllisonW, I had a similar setup, except I removed the doors at the bottom of the shelter and extended the solar array into the building, replacing the doors with vehicle doors. The inner setup was a six-tile crating isle with a single space to approach and metal racks build up against the walls (which I built to partition the shelter into four 3x3 rooms). One was a bedroom, another was general storage, third was disassembly room and the fourth I did not use.

Then I got a parasite infection and lost use of my arms. On the last day before they healed, a bear sniffed me as I was loitering next to a boarded up window and mauled me to death.

It looked something like this (detail)

##+#}    }#+##
   #} &H }#
   #} && }#
#  #} && }#
----#-++-#----
     #### 
     ####
     ####
     ####

I think you used the space far more efficiently than I did.

Sorry to hear about your infection and the bear-mauling, though. :frowning: Did the fungus happen? Fungicide is so important to have.

I think you used the space far more efficiently than I did.

Sorry to hear about your infection and the bear-mauling, though. :frowning: Did the fungus happen? Fungicide is so important to have.[/quote]
Eh, I guess it could be even more efficient if I wasn’t a stickler for symmetry - I only really needed two rooms, one a bedroom with a wood stove, pile of logs and a bed, another to dump things in I didn’t readily need. The other two I built to keep the place symmetrical. Racks lining the entrance hallways were nice to store weapons / ammo / armor / clothing in (this was the northern hallway, opposite the workstation isle).

It was the fungus. I didn’t recognize the symptoms and went to sleep. Ironically, I had all kinds of drugs readily available.

My Base has more Flashlights then it does Drugs, And this is Cataclysm so…