Show me your base!

I’m very new to the game and the forums, but I would love to see some of your guys’ home bases, from LMOE shelters to ditches in the woods post whatever you got.

Mines pretty standard, just imagine a house with all the windows taped up and heaps of food guns and useless junk in the corner

Does taping up windows make them more air tight than closing the curtains?

My mobile base is superior in this game. I need to repair it, but other than that it is amazing. I recommend you pick up a semi-truck also!

Huh. So if you find a Semi Truck & a Truck Trailer you can actually hitch them together?

Would make for interesting driving.

My 02 Feb base is basically a Lab ground-floor with Pits (non-Spiked) where the front door used to be and a 2x4 left around to simplify entry/exit. Outdoor fire-ring & woodpile present, with two cars parked off the road and two Bicycles between the woodpile & fire-ring.

Will grab a screencap next time–never thought anyone’d be interested.

taping up windows is generally better used for windows that don’t have curtains-- e.g raid a garage at night, slap tape on the huge rear windows so you can raid it during the day and finish constructing whatever deathmobile you have planned. I generally use tape on parts of mansions I intend to stay in as well-- problem is staying near the center of the mansion means there are a LOT of damn windows that need to be covered to block all possible line of sight-- and stuff can spawn inside the mansion too.

I tend to do it with any large-windowed stores that are next to a liquor store (i.e, military surplus, gunstores, groceries but NOT glass-walled ones like clothing stores or restraunts.) Otherwise I save all my duct tape for what little crafting recipes there that need it and crafting bandages by the metric truckload.

liquor stores are always a nice in-zone bunker. two exits, two one-tile windows and enough booze to wait out the apocalypse. Also a funky little back room storage area you can stick a rollmat or bed in. Found a two house, library and liquor store town once, I was joyous.

of course, that’s only in the mid-early game. Early-early game I generally clear out the furthest outskirt suburbs and make my primary safehouse in the closest house to the evac shelter. smash windows, board most windows up. Craft wood spears from the poles you get from smashing windows up, smash any furniture that isn’t moveable, create furniture infront of the boarded up windows. Take some sheets from the broken windows (or a rollmat/cot if I managed to loot one) and make a bed somewhere near the middle of the house away from any windows. Store all food and drink in the kitchen, with carboys of ammonia and bleach stacked against the wall. Most everything else gets stored in the bedroom, and from there I’ll use either the bathroom exit or a front-facing window as my main entrances.

Furnish with liberal application of beartraps and that’s generally my primary hideout in a nutshell. Generally, after this I’d colonize a bunker in the middle of the city, or if I’ve looted enough attempt to make it out of the city and find an LMOE shelter, farm or forest cabin to turn into the REAL fortress, complete with a labyrinth approach of spiked pits (around the entire fortress) chain link fences and barbed wire. Considering making the pallisade walls too, but meh.

Also kids, remember to burn at least three sides of the forest down around your fortress. You don’t want sneaky critters coming up close. The third side of the forest you can litter with snaretraps.

Damn Iosyn, you really seem to know what you’re doing. I generally have no plan when i start out. I just get out of the evac shelter and move towards the nearest city, head for any army surplus places… loot houses on the outskirts, that kind of thing. If i survive long enough to do all of that without being crushed, maimed, dismembered, or any combination of the three, I head out and try to find a farm. board up all windows, and start reading. This is the point where I die after a nasty bite wound, starvation and dehydration (caused by 5 day thunder storms and 3 days worth of food and water) or animals. Once i was in a farm near a swamp. I was awoken by the light, i went outside wary of all the noise i was hearing. Expecting to see a hoard of vicious amphibians, i was met with 5 wolves and a bear all less than 2 tiles from the door. I was dead before i could run to the bathroom.

Depends on if im playing with static spawn or not. If I am, my base is just a modded car or truck, I dump in a few more trunks, add some more fuel tanks, bed, bit o armor and its all ill ever need. By a few days in I declare .44 day or shotgun day, then grab the corresponding guns from the trunk and go out and celebrate.
Without static, its a house on the edge of town, windows boarded up except for a one tile wide to the bathroom out the back, 2 or 3 layers of pits around the whole thing, traps where I cant pit, gaps between my house and the houses next door are pitted in zigzag fashion if it permits, long trenches dug further out from directions im expecting trouble to come. Some nearby houses will be semi fortified as well. I smash up all the nearby bushes so I can dump cars and the like out the back of my place to work on. Often the pits around the house are on fire cause its easier to burn than loot the 100s of corpses in them. Internally I build a half wall in the door to the bathroom so I have a second fallback with all my stuff stored in rooms further to the back out of spitter range. Bedroom usually has a food and cooking corner, water pile, books pile, guns pile, ammo piles, crafting crap piles, drugs pile, etc.

I am currently chilling in a barn with a common sedan that is entirely without fuel. The trunk has lots of guns and ammo, sadly the ammo is incompatible. Plenty of food and water, lots of skill in mechanics and electronics. I have 3 jerry cans, one full of clean water, the other two empty. I really don’t leave the safety of my remote barn fort. But then again, no books=boredom and wasted time. I guess i will go across the prairie and see what i can find.

hehe. don’t worry protester, you’ll pick it up real fast. =It really depends if you play with static spawn on or off really-- I wouldn’t freakin dare make a safehouse even in the city outskirts with static spawn off-- the zombies will just keep respawning and probably eat you in your sleep.

As for out-of-town safehouses, barns are pretty much one of the best you can get. water supply (toilet) some food outside-- plenty of barbed wire to chop up and build layers upon layers of fencing. If you get really lucky sometimes there’s a vehicle at a farm too-- and some tools in the barn, but I’ve not had much luck with either.

As for other safehouses:
Cabins, LMOE shelters, Sewage treatment facilities, Mines.

Mines are a pretty good one most people seem to ignore-- They look just like a sewage treatment but with a light grey M. They have a few nice topside buildings that can be a good shelter and the mine itself will contain some decent, mostly construction-based gear (hardhats, filter masks maybe a jackhammer if ya lucky) Just don’t explore too deep in the mine or fall off the ledge. Of course, you’d need a water source.

Those are pretty much primary shelters. Other good options are Science Labs and Military Bunkers (not military outposts.)
However, for those you’ll need sci and mil ID cards respectively, or a shitton of explosives and EMP grenades.

Also, there’s a much higher chance that you’ll run into something nasty in labs or bunkers, not to mention you’ll need lots of IDs to fully unlock all areas of it. But they tend to have nice gear that you don’t have to try too hard to get. I’d recommend trapping the entrance and making a bedroom near the entrance too.

As for the only things NOT to go for…
Mansions and Military outposts. The only reason to go for a military outpost is to snipe some turrets for parts, (oh, those delicious springs-- and ammo too :smiley: )the stuff inside generally isn’t worth the effort compared with robbing a nearby gunstore and it won’t have a basement. Might be able to grab some military IDs though.

Mansions… are just horrible. The sheer amount of windows terrifies me-- not to mention my memories of the original resident evil. However… They will have a toilet and maybe a few swimming pools, so water source = yes. Better yet, they might have a library (if they have one, it’s a BIG library. That instantly puts it up much higher on the list, turning it for me into a place with colonizing.)

However, the mansion is so large you’re better off defending one section of it and boarding off everything else, as nasties can spawn inside the mansion due to the sheer size of it. I think someone got woken up by a bear once.
If it doesn’t have a library or a pool (bugger me if I’m going to a far off toilet to grab a drink every day) and just endless dining rooms and pool tables =>Chick<= =>Chick<= 44woosh44 Endless supply of Ts.

I never go into mines, the first time (and last time) i went down deep into the dark without a flashlight. I heard alot of noise around me and then i was torn in half by a MEGA WORM! As to my barn adventure, i have alot of low health limbs, a jerry can full of food and a good steady amount of food. around 6 guns with ammo, yet there are no towns nearby. I drove for at least 10 minutes IRL to get to this farm and its a damned dead end. i looted a mansion, a farm and a LMOE shelter. The other farm had a very misleading mine-filled barn. scary place to wander into tripping on shrooms. I will take your advice Iosyn and start deconstructing all this barbed wire. Hopefully i can find a nearby town, i would hate to walk all that way back :C

EDIT
stepped on a landmine while being chased by wolves. So ends my new record, 7 days.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:10, topic:664”][spoiler]hehe. don’t worry protester, you’ll pick it up real fast. =It really depends if you play with static spawn on or off really-- I wouldn’t freakin dare make a safehouse even in the city outskirts with static spawn off-- the zombies will just keep respawning and probably eat you in your sleep.

As for out-of-town safehouses, barns are pretty much one of the best you can get. water supply (toilet) some food outside-- plenty of barbed wire to chop up and build layers upon layers of fencing. If you get really lucky sometimes there’s a vehicle at a farm too-- and some tools in the barn, but I’ve not had much luck with either.

As for other safehouses:
Cabins, LMOE shelters, Sewage treatment facilities, Mines.

Mines are a pretty good one most people seem to ignore-- They look just like a sewage treatment but with a light grey M. They have a few nice topside buildings that can be a good shelter and the mine itself will contain some decent, mostly construction-based gear (hardhats, filter masks maybe a jackhammer if ya lucky) Just don’t explore too deep in the mine or fall off the ledge. Of course, you’d need a water source.

Those are pretty much primary shelters. Other good options are Science Labs and Military Bunkers (not military outposts.)
However, for those you’ll need sci and mil ID cards respectively, or a shitton of explosives and EMP grenades.

Also, there’s a much higher chance that you’ll run into something nasty in labs or bunkers, not to mention you’ll need lots of IDs to fully unlock all areas of it. But they tend to have nice gear that you don’t have to try too hard to get. I’d recommend trapping the entrance and making a bedroom near the entrance too.

As for the only things NOT to go for…
Mansions and Military outposts. The only reason to go for a military outpost is to snipe some turrets for parts, (oh, those delicious springs-- and ammo too :smiley: )the stuff inside generally isn’t worth the effort compared with robbing a nearby gunstore and it won’t have a basement. Might be able to grab some military IDs though.

Mansions… are just horrible. The sheer amount of windows terrifies me-- not to mention my memories of the original resident evil. However… They will have a toilet and maybe a few swimming pools, so water source = yes. Better yet, they might have a library (if they have one, it’s a BIG library. That instantly puts it up much higher on the list, turning it for me into a place with colonizing.)

However, the mansion is so large you’re better off defending one section of it and boarding off everything else, as nasties can spawn inside the mansion due to the sheer size of it. I think someone got woken up by a bear once.
If it doesn’t have a library or a pool (bugger me if I’m going to a far off toilet to grab a drink every day) and just endless dining rooms and pool tables =>Chick<= =>Chick<= 44woosh44 Endless supply of Ts.[/spoiler][/quote]

A single piece of C4 can blast open any lab or military bunker keycard door. You also left off farms.

Now, getting C4 without having a military keycard…difficult but not impossible. Found some Dynamite in the Mine though so that might at least break the windows.

a FEMA camp makes a great base lots of building material from beads and crates. the whole place is surrounded by fence so you know if something trying to get in and lots of animals getting caught on barbed wire for food. the concrete building at the back make a great shelter from the weather the only problem is water.

upload pic

image share

photos upload

but aren’t FEMA camps usually filled with zombies?
For my first day I always end up back at the shelter, hiding in the basement. and the next day I usually die after being chased by wildlife.

BEDROOM
Left Side:
Top to bottom
Sleep Aids
Medicine Pile
Heat Packs
Books
NE Corner:
Yellow: Disasemble
Cyan: Duplicate Tools
Blue: Firestarters
Red: Tools
3x3 Pile:
Crafting Materials
SE-E: Excessive Material
Sheets
Bones
South:
Blue+dresser: Clothes
Wood+nails

BATHROOM
Tainted Meat

KITCHEN
Sink: Dirty Water Bottles
Refrigerator: Perishable Foods
Oven: Pot, Frying Pan, and Hotplates
Cuboard+counter: Non-perishable Foods
NE Corner: Corpses for butchering
Piles of Meat

LIVING ROOM
East Side Counters: Guns
West Side Counters: Other weapons
Cyan: Car Parts
Brown: Firestarters
): Jerrycan of Gasoline
:: Underslung Shotgun
Gray: Ammo without guns
Peach: More Wood

Outside:
The pits have no spikes yet. Working on it. All houses near my base have the windows broken to kill squirrels and other furry edibles, not to mention give a supply of sheets/rags and heavy sticks. Don’t have enough nailboards for the outer layer or enough bear traps for the inner layer.

Things of Note:
Crafting pile: I can use the tools from the tool pile to craft if I stand at the center of the pile. Which is how it was intended to work.
I have a LAW in my stockpile of weaponry.
When riding my motorcycle home in the dark with a busted headlight I rode it too close to the river. Was going NW to get back to house and went way too far west. A hoard of creepy crawlies/fliers followed me home. My house was under siege for the next while. I went to sleep and a slug broke through the southern bedroom window. Killed it with a shotgun and fought off a small swarm of flyers and a few crawlers before I could board it up. Loaded up two Remington 870’s and opened the front door. Emptied both and had to retreat to the bedroom.
Realoded both and opened the door. Emptied both and retreated to bathroom. Reloaded both and killed the rest that were in the house. Reloaded and shut all the door. Spent the next couple days cleaning up the remainder of the hoard. Joy. Plenty of meat for a while…

MAP:

Legend:
L: Looted
H: Home
P: Vehicle Part
W: Metal Wreckage
E: Empty
V: Vehicle

[quote=“Miloch, post:16, topic:664”]

//…[/quote]

That’s nice. What day are you at in the game? How many real-time days/hours did it take?

Which font and what settings are you using?
I must know.

Here is my FONTDATA file:
cootue_curses_square_16x16

[quote=“Miloch, post:19, topic:664”]Here is my FONTDATA file:
cootue_curses_square_16x16
16[/quote]