Shouldn't hot water be sterile? or rainwater for that matter? e.g. no food poisoning?

So I’ve been setting up a base near a lava fissure to take advantage of the infinite light, warmth and fire it provides but even though I’ve got the water boiling to literally 100 degrees from dropping the canister near it, I still got food poisoning from it.
I know there are some bacteria out there that survive in volcanic vents, but I don’t think pond water should be housing them…
On that subject shouldn’t rainwater be completely sterile considering the process of the rain cycle? If the cold didn’t kill the bacteria the lack of oxygen should’ve…
Well water I can understand possibly being sterile but…

Game mechanics wise heating dirty water does,t transform it into clean one. Lore wise atmosphere was fucked up when portals opened and let who knows what into it.

1 Like

We discussed possible rain water cleanness in the past.

While rain water isnt necessarily dirty when falling straight from the sky, the method of catching the rain via tarp is the problem.

Catching the rain with your filthy tarp is the problem, not the rain itself. That’s why when you’re out camping you’re advised to boil rainwater you get from your tarp, just to be safe.

1 Like

According to the CDC:

While useful for many things, rainwater is not as pure as you might think, so you can’t assume it’s safe to drink. Rain can wash different types of contaminants into the water you collect (for example, bird poop on your roof could end up in your water barrel or tank). Rainwater can carry bacteria, parasites, viruses, and chemicals that could make you sick, and it has been linked to disease outbreaks.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/rainwater-collection.html

1 Like

yes but that only counts for rainwater on your roof. Of course if you try and drink roofwater or ditchwater it’d make you sick. But if you collected in a sterile non-leaching container (like say, a unused washed metal bucket, there should be no issues aside from chemical runoff if you live in an area of high pollution)

I would’ve thought the CDC would try and be less misleading considering many outbreaks/calamities are caused by misinformation but apparently not :thinking:

The rooftop was just an example. You can’t have something be both sterile and open-air at the same time. Bacteria is literally everywhere, it just desn’t get into your body most of the time because room on your skin is taken up by passive bacterium and the entrances to your body are filled with stuff evolution designed to prevent infection (i.e. earwax, saliva, mucus. Not 100% effective, but it works for weaker infections).
Rain can carry diseases because, big surprise, lack of oxygen and low temperatures can’t kill most microbes. If that were the case, all you’d have to do to prevent food poisoning with meat is just vacuum seal it and toss it in the freezer and bam, you can eat it raw. But no, you have to do barbarous things like irradiate it, or cook it if you don’t want to shit hot tar. Savage.
Even the air itself has pollutants which can mix with the water particles in clouds, especially after nuclear war. This is the reason you can’t drink water straight from a dehumidifier.

All in all, you could do with a little more research. It prevents you from looking like a fool on the internet, which is objectively the greatest embarrassment a human being can experience. Trust me, I know.

This was all good until the last bit , which was needlessly insulting.
If someone is wrong, they are wrong, there is no need to stick the boot in.

For real? Thanks for pointing that out, I meant for it to be a joke, like “You made a mistake in front of people you will never know or really care about.”

I apologize.

Ah, well I suppose that last sentence could be seen as softening sarcasm, but I think it could perhaps still be construed as insulting.

Now I can see your intent, but I guess thats the nature of the internet where these things cannot always come across clearly.

1 Like

enh, its still a good idea to practice at least faking politeness to people regardless of your lack of caring. never do know who’s on the other end, or what they might be capable of doing for you in the future.