This is THE thing that makes radiation scary. It’s completely imperceptible without technological assistance, even once you’ve been heavily dosed.
There are a number of adjustments you can make to help with this:
- Clean up the symptoms to be more representative of radiation dosing.
- Audit the places that have latent radiation. I think the main offender previously was that random “craters” had high radiation levels, which was certainly unexpected since the crater size was wrong for a nuclear blast. OTOH if you got dosed because you decided to sleep in a “toxic waste dump”, well Dr. Darwin would like to have a word with you…
- Add an explicit self-diagnosis based on first aid skill when symptoms appear.
- Add more places for geiger counters or rad badges to spawn.
- Add some lore about fallout?
- Add dead or dying animals and plants surrounding irradiated areas.