Sexual Content Discussion

It’s not a huge problem, and yes, the title is what bothers me. For what it’s worth, unless you look carefully, it seems like a cookbook like any other, with a title that could as well be “Put women in the kitchen”. Then again, it’s something I care about more than most people do.

Huh?

You’re kind of talking around the subject, so I’m not sure, but you think the title is sexist?

As far as what I know about the book goes, it is not. Nonetheless, ingame, it gives off an impression of being sexist, and to me that’s enough to mind it.

Tumblr is leaking again…

1 Like

Tumblr is leaking again…[/quote]
More like /r/MRA Redditors getting out of their mancave again.

On a serious note, I say that the Fallout games have the right ideas. Imply some stuff, have some shady quests and characters, but never do explicit stuff and keep it all under a nice “fade to black”.

CDDA is a post-apocalyptic roguelike. It’s not a some erotic Niponese visual novel.

“To serve personkin” (also contains vegan-cannibal recipes)

1 Like

I would have pointed out the obvious for a laugh, but my characters are so often part tree that this is probably completely feasible.

I always read “Man” to mean “Mankind”, and it would be a bit of a bummer to lose the ‘serve man (food)’ /‘serve man (as food)’ pun. I suppose changing the name to Mankind would probably meet both needs of the pun and user comfort well enough. Personally, I never saw the title as a suggestion females remain solely in cooking duties.

How dare they not specify in the book title that women can be cooked and eaten too.

Yeah, same here.

CDDA certainly doesn’t need any more sexual references to improve the game. Even as a mod, I’d feel uncomfortable such a thing would be associated with a great zombie survival rogue like. It just… it by no means needs to be done.

tl;dr no

It’s kind of obvious that it’s mankind, they would probably find mankind to be sexist as well because it has the word “man”.؟
Seriously people will find something to be sexist and take offense no matter how much mental gymnastics are required to get there.

Yeah, I don’t think that it really is sexist, and given how much the game is brimming with pop culture references, a shoutout to Twilight Zone and/or Damon Knight is too good to pass up.

I personally think it’s fine, but that might be because I look for wordplay in everything with a strange sounding name.

Even in the instance that it is sexist (which it isn’t) then being in game is still acceptable on the basis that it is simply a reference. And a joke. And a goddamn book about cannibalism.

I’m shocked, shocked that “To Serve Man” has no recipe for ladyfingers.

1 Like

This is the best thing to come out of this while discussion.

Yes this obviously extremely sexist book needs even more sexism things…

Yes this obviously extremely sexist book needs even more sexism things…[/quote]Manfingers represent.

Is the pre-cataclysm world free from sexism? Is there some reason we shouldn’t see examples of sexism and other crappy cultural artifacts in the post-apocalypse? If anything, finding sexist literature lying around can give you a bit of a jolly knowing that the apocalypse probably killed the author. As long as nasty ideologies and prejudices aren’t lauded in the game, or represented as ideal ways of being, I think they’re great to have. The world was not a particularly nice place before the shit came down. There’s no reason that there shouldn’t be some evidence of that.

1 Like

[quote=“mdtexeira, post:37, topic:8535”]Is the pre-cataclysm world free from sexism? Is there some reason we shouldn’t see examples of sexism and other crappy cultural artifacts in the post-apocalypse? If anything, finding sexist literature lying around can give you a bit of a jolly knowing that the apocalypse probably killed the author. As long as nasty ideologies and prejudices aren’t lauded in the game, or represented as ideal ways of being, I think they’re great to have. The world was not a particularly nice place before the shit came down. There’s no reason that there shouldn’t be some evidence of that.[/quote]and here i agree.

[quote=“mdtexeira, post:37, topic:8535”]
Is the pre-cataclysm world free from sexism? Is there some reason we shouldn’t see examples of sexism and other crappy cultural artifacts in the post-apocalypse? If anything, finding sexist literature lying around can give you a bit of a jolly knowing that the apocalypse probably killed the author. As long as nasty ideologies and prejudices aren’t lauded in the game, or represented as ideal ways of being, I think they’re great to have. The world was not a particularly nice place before the shit came down. There’s no reason that there shouldn’t be some evidence of that.
[/quote]
This pretty much sums it up. I’m against having the game be sexist (or any negative -ist), but I’m not going to bowlderize or censor references to real things, or make all of the NPS be totally PC because it might offend someone.

Well, there’s Alpha Male Quarterly… I’m sure that has some pick-up artist tips in it.