Send me your vehicle data!

This is probably a bad Idea buuut… I have 1 Enhanced motor, 1 large motor, 1 footcrank, 3 alternators, 6 25 in. wheels, 5wx9l with a 7x7 attached, windshields in front, doors at side and back. Safe is 87 Max 342 I normally drive at 20 but have been known to go upwards of 50 to 80

1 Like

I like how you have my standard APC as the front of your vehicle, and then you have another vehicle and ANOTHER vehicle attached to it. Formula nevertheless gives you a 55 mph cruise speed (probably, you may have an atypically bad coefficient of air drag but meh.)

I built this from scratch with a plan for drivers seat in a 3x3 to protect from diagonals and a 3x3 of seats behind for sleep and NPCs and a 5x5 for crafting area with MANY cargo areas.

Too my absolute HORROR My power went out for all of about 10 seconds but that was all that was needed to corrupt my games destroy my options json and mess with my save so now my character is currently sitting in the middle of the street Deathmobile disappeared and somewhat luckily I had all my items in my inventory so I could fight off the NUMEROUS freshly genned zombies Including hulks but uncanny dodge and flashbang generators helped alot. :'C

…uh…are you seriously going to make a “normal” speed of 120mph?

Sooooo…a 3 ton car will chill at this speed normally?

I hope this is a typo. We can go 30-40 normal now in a swat van and this seems totally legit. But come time for your changes and 120 is normal to you??

This is the sorta thing that will instantly break the game if that is seriously intended.

Edit:
For an example-

A very fast train at around 375mph. The average car can’t do 150mph without doing damage to itself. Certainly being able to reach this speed would be possible, but it would also kill the car.

So a 1 ton car with a 250 HP engine having a cruise speed of 120 mph will totally break the game, but that same car keeping it’s current cruise speed of 180 mph is totally acceptable?

Porsche could get 993 in 1995 to a max speed around 165, with less than twice the power and half again the weight. Power scales with the square of speed and linearly with weight, so the top speed of that bike should be roughly 85% of the 993’s or about 140. If the max speed is 140, achieving 120 without redlining the engine seems fairly plausible: you’re only get 33% more power at 8000 RPM than you are at 6000 RPM (roughly), so your max safe speed should be about 85% of your absolute maximum speed.

But hey, I’m just a guy who knows a little about physics and a little about programming. I linked to the GitHub issue at the start, and I’ve laid out all my math and logic there. Cake-pie has already corrected me on some of my math and physics, and we’re working to make the algorithm better. So if you know more, I welcome your contributions.

If your objection is that I’m going to make the numbers less unrealistic than the highly unrealistic numbers we have now while not making them completely realistic, well, thanks for the information.

2 Likes

Point is, the gearboxes are limited.
As @TheZoneWizard said,

From my own life expirence, I’ve tried flooring it in my own car, and I could only reach about 110 mph, before the engine redlined, the gearbox overheated and started freaking out.

So yes, reaching speeds above 100 mph in an average vehicle is sort of doable, but probably isn’t a good idea if you’re intending to keep using the car.

I’m not talking about porshes or such. Those are built for acceleration and speed. But average cars just can’t perform as well.

Even a humvee, which i’m driving now ingame, can easily reach 100 mph in cdda. In real life it’s centered more on offroading, thus the presence of individual torque converters for each wheel and a massive engine with a high fuel consumption, and it’s sort of harder for a real humvee to reach high speeds than to climb hills, traverse fords, and so on.

And I know this is not doable until we have gearboxes, which we discussed earlier, but man… top speed of 1000+ km/h for a police car with a V12… and a safe speed higher than that of an airliner… that’s really worth fixing, even in a not-completely-realistic kind of way.

Current proposal puts the safe speed of a car at 85 mph, max at 105. The FBI car with a v8 engine will have a safe speed around 100 and a max around 120 mph.

Those look like reasonable numbers to me and seem to match many other people’s expectations.

Again, if you want to comment on the design, please contribute via GitHub.

Have you also thought about fuel consumption?

Well, sorry, i’m not a programmer.

I’m not asking people to help with the programming. I’m still reviewing the design, and that discussion is mostly about physics and expectations and is happening via comments on GitHub.

I haven’t thought much about fuel consumption. It will need to be adjusted to match the current fuel consumption tests. There may be further adjustments in the future but that’s beyond the scope of this discussion.

Yeah, the basic speeds your talking about for standard cars sound fine. Our heavily loaded uber-mobiles are presumably going to go a fair bit slower, given that they are generally built to be the equivalent of an APC/hauler. (at least until such time as someone actually decides to model the kind of ultra-powerful turbine engines that modern tanks employ, with their absurdly bad mpg…)

Where things will get really ugly for vehicles trying to go very fast would presumably be fuel consumption. A cop car with a V8 easily can go over 100mph, but its mpg suffers badly due to the constant fight against drag, friction, and presumably some loss of engine efficiency from high heat levels.

Right now I don’t know if the game models loss of fuel efficiency for higher speeds at all. I assume it does, but have never really tested it. ???

Vehicles consume fuel every time they accelerate, in proportion to the instant acceleration to maximum acceleration and relative to engine power. Currently, vehicles slowdown some amount each turn and then accelerate back to their cruise control set speed.

The proposed changes will make vehicles slowdown more at higher speeds, but the consumption formula will be adjusted so that vehicle range doesn’t change much.

So just one more comment concerning speed and weight and all that.

I understand a cop car with a good engine can peak at a 120mph. But my 2 cents(assuming this wasn’t already added). There should be some wear and tear that increases with more strain on the engine.

Vehicles should be taking a scaled damage to the components. Damage around the wheels from high weight and torque(I made a booboo of my first motorized bicycle irl…too much torque destroyed the wheel). Too much torque even without high weight “petal to the metal” 0-60 kinda stuff.

Engines having a “peak” rating. In which the comfort zone yellow lines and anything over that scales + weight = damage to the engine. Going into the Red line.

Engines are strange and although I am an amateur in the mechanic realm. My experiences with electric and gas powered bicycles has taught me quite a fair amount from nothing.

Caveat- Wanna laugh yourself silly? Invest a few minutes into videos and design specs of a Yugo car lol
OMG that cracks me up. Its like CatDDA but in real life! bahahahaha! xD

edit:

Are tank being changed or did I find a really strange tank? What happened in my latest game today as follows;

I ran around scavenging as usual. Night came and I was getting tired. I found a tank in decent condition and as I have many a time, snuggled into the control seat for a nap. I ended up being eaten while I slept and died.

So…ok, I thought that sucked…but wait. Closed every door in the tank before I slept and the armor is pretty solid. I was munched by a normal zombie…did…did that little sob just literally chew its way through a friggin TANK??? wtf??? 0_o

So, I’m not angry. But I just remembered this and I am still wondering wth happened to the tank armor that a zombie can claw and chew through…ya know…a tank? A plastic shell on a car or truck. Seems legit. A tank…? Nope. Thats malarky I don’t care why. Any effort at all to change this would be appreciated. I know I seem to bring rants. But this isn’t a rant. Just shedding light on this odd thing that happened and hope it can be corrected. Thanks! =)

Here is my deathmobile data, hope it helps:

Name: Z-1 Abrams (heavily modified tank chassis).
Mass: 64,639 lb (fully loaded)
Number of engines & Type: (4) Enhanced Electric Motors
Number and size of wheels: (4) 60" Tank Treads
Dimensions: 7 Tiles wide, 11 Tiles long (including protrusions).

All tiles have military composite plating. The only protrusions are a row of military composite rams across the entire front, and 4 external 200L tanks on the back oriented symmetrically about the rear hatch. All exterior tiles are heavy duty quarterpanels with the exception of one opaque hatch at the middle of the rear. All internal tiles have heavy duty roofs. 6 internal tiles are heavy duty stowboards.

Note: Since I’m not sure how drag is calculated, for the roof accessories I have (1) 120mm tank cannon, (1) Turbolaser cannon, (4) laser cannons, (2) 30mm chainguns, (2) Vehicle ATGM launchers, 3 flood lights, and 3 security cameras mounted. All other interior tiles are solar panels of varying type.

Top Speed: 913 mph (WTF?)
Max Safe Speed: 102 mph
Acceleration: 9 mph/t
I typically drive at 60-70 mph when on the road, slower elsewhere though because this thing will destroy itself otherwise.

I have no idea why I can get up to 913 mph, which is ridiculous to start with, but can only go to a max safe speed of 102, and only accelerate at 9 mph/s. I would expect to be accelerating like a fucking jet with a top speed like that.

IRL an M-1 Abrams tank weighs about the same as my vehicle, and has top speed of 45 mph, which is pretty damned fast for a tank. It also has a terrifying addiction to gasoline to fuel its gas turbine engine. Mine is nuclear electric supplemented by solar, but I still have a pretty heavy energy consumption; though it may partly be the floodlights. They seem to go through a lot of juice, FAST.

At that point, you could attach wings and a tail to it and call it a plane

Honestly, even before max speed I suspect I might have problems staying on the ground. My tank may need spoilers.

So the vehicle speed rework is now part of the game. Please reply in this topic or DM if you notice vehicle speeds that are way out of line.