Seasons now 91 days long? (OP updated with links and Kevin's answers)

I agree. Boredom is probably the biggest killer of my characters right now. And being able to wait out certain parts of the season would be helpful.

Generally the goal is to make the world as immersive and realistic as possible, and adjust the interface to let you just deal with the interesting parts. Features like time skipping, auto-travel, and even hibernation would contribute to that.

1 Like

All I can say is itā€™s a good thing updating is optional and old versions are available. There are points where remembering itā€™s a video game is more important then immersion. Video games need pacing and development following 91 day seasons sounds like pacing just got shot.

Itā€™s probably because itā€™s the beginning of 91 days season implementation, once all the good time skipping stuff is in itā€™s going to be ok.
Also it might be a problem of personal taste (or time you have available to play), but so far I donā€™t see problem with 91 days even if I might get bored of my latest character before I finish spring. But then again Iā€™m 71days in a stylish broken cyborg run and I havenā€™t managed to remove any broken cbm yet and Iā€™m still far from being the prettyest survivor in the land, so thereā€™s things to do to occupy yourself in a 91 days season world.

I have to say Iā€™m a huge not-fan of the 90 day seasons, and Iā€™m kind of depressed that someone even reminded me of that.

In my current game I just reached Spring 29 and was like ā€˜oh thank god, finally a change of seasonsā€™.

Now I am reminded that I have another 60 days of spring, and Iā€™m already well into my crafting mid game. Iā€™m going to max out the tech tree and be done with this character before summer and that really, really sucks. :roll_eyes:

I guess Iā€™ll have to go edit or mod the season length. Frankly I find the 30 day seasons obnoxiously long and tedious in terms of game play. I understand that there may be more time spinning mechanics in the future - but lets be honest here, a HUGE proportion of my in game time is already spent in shelter, reading books, cooking and sleeping. Increasing this proportion of passive game time four-fold or more just to support a ā€˜realisticā€™ season length could kill the pacing of a game thatā€™s already on the border of being a bit too slow and passive.

Iā€™d rather we say that the portals have fucked up the seasons and thrown the Earth off axis so that our seasons are shorter and weirder, or whatever. Anything but stretching out the dead time dramatically further than it already is. I just can only spend so much time sitting in a pile of books and crafting materials watching a clock tick.

Luckily (for now) you can still manually lower the seasons in world creation. Playing with 90 day seasons is horribly boring and I would not recommend it.

Yeah. I havenā€™t tried changing this value after a game is started - is that feasible or is it going to gank my current game?

I donā€™t know, never changed it mid game. Probably better off scrapping the save.

You can do it, but it may cause some weirdness. It seems to be safer to use the debug menu and change the date.

Put me down as another one who thinks this is a terrible idea.

As multiple other people have pointed out, everything is scaled down, and THATā€™S GOOD. ā€œRealismā€ would be thousands of houses, taking weeks to do a halfway decent check of each house in a single housing division by yourself, spending an entire day walking across a single decent-sized city, spending several days walking from one city to another, etc.

Follow that up with ā€œadjust the interface to let you just deal with the interesting parts.ā€ Hint: Thatā€™s what we already had, thatā€™s youā€™re taking OUT.

And this is for farming and animal husbandry? OK, letā€™s talk about that and ā€œrealismā€. Realism: farming without modern equipment, supplies, and KNOWLEDGE is a full-time job. Animal husbandry isnā€™t that far behind. If you want realism, those parts are just going to be, essentially, DROPPED, or handled primarily by NPCs who donā€™t go out ā€œadventuringā€ with you.

Iā€™m OK with that, for entirely ā€œrealismā€ reasons. But messing up the rest of the game balance in the name of ā€œrealismā€ for something that doesnā€™t belong in the game for realism reasons has nothing good to be said about it, and plenty that isnā€™t good.

All of that said, youā€™re the one putting in the work, so if you want to take out the parts you say youā€™re trying to put in to get ā€œrealismā€ that is the opposite of realistic, thatā€™s your prerogativeā€¦ and Iā€™ll either never update again or work around it, because, while Iā€™m a darn good programmer, thatā€™s my JOB, and I donā€™t want to do it anymore after spending 50ish hours a week on it already.

4 Likes