Scent Vision?

So, hi there.
Because imageshack.us is a total dickhead and crashed my browser whenever I wanted to check the location of my images when I had the uploading window open I’m writing this for the third time and I’m really goddamn bored of it, so I’m going to keep this short.

In any case, because I’m a still a novice-level Cataclysm player, I decided that giving myself the Android trait would be a good idea to give me some kind of a crutch (but it’s probably not the right term to use) and then I also chose a multitude of other traits. (how the hell can you be short-sighted and long-sighted at the same time?)

What really got my attention was the bionic I’ve got - Scent Vision.
I can’t seem to find it anywhere on the wiki, and I’m playing the unmodded 0.5 version.

Scent Vision on the bionics screen. (also, am I supposed to not see the Internal Battery/ies?)

Scent Vision in action.

I would assume I was given it because I also chose Smelly as one of my negative traits, and it’d just make sense for me to see where I’m actually spreading it. (plus it also works like a more vague form of night vision, I suppose)

According to one of users over the DF thread about Cataclysm, it’s one of the Android-exclusive traits (which sounds like I’m talking about the smart phone operating system). Are there any others like it and have anyone encountered those?

I guess you could do exhaustive testing with various Android-negative traits combinations to see, but I’m not really suited for it, I have a bigger fish to fry atm.

Well that’s GlyphGryph over on the DF forums, so I would assume it’s intended (though it seems a little strange to have something as only an android trait, it should at least have an extremely tiny chance of spawning in lab finals or whatnot). Also part of the android trait is that you have an intrinsic 10 power, no batteries required.

I swear to God I saw your avatar on DF forums, and I doubt that’s coincidence.
In any case, I would expect that to be covered by the wiki at this point, but I was wronged.

You learn something new every day. The question is whether it’s actually relative to the community as a whole. (kinda failed with words)

Also, given its seemingly little function I’d expect it to be a common bionic, but shows what I know.
Wouldn’t that kind of information be stored in the files? After all, it’s an open-source game we’re talking about, I’m sure that people would find it via more meta ways.

It’s not a coincidence. :smiley:

As for why the wiki isn’t always up to date, my guesses would be:
1)The wiki’s fairly young, being only 3 months old. Thus there are still a lot of little things that need to be updated.
2)Most of the code readers are using the development build. This makes it a little harder for them to track what was in the previous version (and should be placed on the wiki) and what is still dev version only (and shouldn’t).

I do know that once the next release rolls around and I don’t have to manually check to see if each thing I note is in the normal release as well as the dev version I will be updating quite a bit of the wiki. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ever heard of multifocal glasses? It’s very common for people who are nearsighted, to become both nearsighted and farsighted at older age.

[quote=“DarkDXZ, post:1, topic:1616”]What really got my attention was the bionic I’ve got - Scent Vision.
I can’t seem to find it anywhere on the wiki, and I’m playing the unmodded 0.5 version.
I would assume I was given it because I also chose Smelly as one of my negative traits, and it’d just make sense for me to see where I’m actually spreading it. (plus it also works like a more vague form of night vision, I suppose.[/quote]

Nope, I don’t have the smelly trait, and I’ve started with the same exact two bionics as you.

Ever heard of multifocal glasses? It’s very common for people who are nearsighted, to become both nearsighted and farsighted at older age.

[quote=“DarkDXZ, post:1, topic:1616”]What really got my attention was the bionic I’ve got - Scent Vision.
I would assume I was given it because I also chose Smelly as one of my negative traits, and it’d just make sense for me to see where I’m actually spreading it. (plus it also works like a more vague form of night vision, I suppose.[/quote]

Nope, I don’t have the smelly trait, and I’ve started with the same exact two bionics as you.[/quote]

Well, I know that older people do tend to need two pairs of glasses or the progressive lenses.

In any case, it could be just the wiki being not up-to-date with that particular bionic.

At the very least, the bionic is more useful for me than it is for you, since the smelly trait may or may not come back and bite me in the ass with a leopard or lord knows what else. (there’s also a metal wreckage nearby with integrated toolset, aero-evaporator and internal battery bionics, among other !FUN! things, like a fungal bloom or science lab, which is fitting, since my character was/is a scientist)

ACTUALLY, it’s there!
Here.

Welp, this thread is pretty much ignorable at this point.

Scent Vision isn’t Android exclusive either. I’ve gotten it from shocker zombies and science lab finales.