Remove zombie dogs

You don’t need to have martial arts.

I’ve dispatched many of them with nothing more than a makeshift machete.

[quote=“Rivet, post:21, topic:3158”]You don’t need to have martial arts.

I’ve dispatched many of them with nothing more than a makeshift machete.[/quote]

OK, that works too. Was just checking.

Even with 0 melee and a crowbar, zombie dogs usually don’t pose too much trouble. They’re fast, sure, but they don’t have the HP to survive long. Just lead them away from other zombies and take them out one on one, preferably with 0 torso encumbrance.

The real danger of zombie dogs are packs of them. Fortunately, the only time I really had to deal with an entire pack of zombie dogs was when I was being chased by two dozen zombies camped outside the survival shelter (because the survival shelter was spawned in the middle of what appeared to be three or four cities sandwiched together) that happened contain a zombie necromancer and a master zombie. The NPC I started with charged the horde valiantly (wielding his mighty CBM: Time Dilation no less), but I fled like a coward. The master zombie apparently decided there would be none of that, and morphed zombie after zombie into zombie dogs. Pretty sure there were around six or seven, possibly more, when the first four reached me and started tearing the meat from my bones. Even with them having hardly any HP, they are still deadly in numbers, moreso since kiting isn’t an option without an obscenely fast character. And since pain slows you down too…that was a short run. Possibly my shortest, I think I lasted less than ten minutes after starting the game there. It was pretty amusing.

Typically, they’re more an annoyance than anything else. As long as you go out of your way to single them out and kill them first, they don’t live long enough to become a threat. Just avoid letting yourself be surrounded by them. use windows or doors if you have to. Use a low move/attack weapon, and make sure you’re unencumbered.

Oh by the way, Shockers seem to be alot more common. main reason why is cause they spawn in public works in mass and with my luck saw three when going into the town… only reason the character was alive was pyromaniacs, shrubs, and picking them off one at a time… Even shockers can be easy with right tactics. yet again, fire can bring down almost anything… including yourself, and that’s why tripod bots are the bane of most peoples existence if they run into them… or why if you are gonna piss off robots you carry emp grenades

[quote=“i2amroy, post:5, topic:3158”]More likely what will eventually happen is that things like bears and other wildlife will start coming back from the dead.

As for why their are currently zombie dogs but no other zombie wildlife:

[spoiler=Some Spoilers]

1. The human water supply was contaminated, thus many of the dogs became ooze infested (and would therefore reanimate on death). Lots of wildlife was still drinking from relatively uncontaminated sources, so it isn’t ooze contaminated yet.
  2. When all the humans died, the dogs got caught up in it and killed, thus leading to reanimation. Most of the wildlife still haven’t died yet, even if they are infected.
  3. The ooze has to reach a certain body % threshold before reanimation will occur in mammals. The threshold for this is right between the average dog and cat, which is why the dogs are reviving and cats aren’t.[/spoiler]

The end result, zombie bears.[/quote]

That’s… utterly terrifying. Especially if they (after a certain amount of in-game time?) start spawning in the same way that normal bears do, ie: practically everywhere. With the aggression of zombies and the might and spawnrate of bears, these guys could be more dangerous than worms (which you can usually avoid, at least, provided that you didn’t have the misfortune of spawning in a worm-infested biome).

rock + nails + 2x4 = nail board. Can make in first shelter with no skills, best starting melee wep.

I always went with Crowbar at first.
Doesn’t it have one more to-hit and is faster than the nail board?

this looks like a ‘mod’ to me. when the mod system is done someone can make a mod to get rid of them.

I just lure them into a bush or window. I can usually one or two-shot them with a basic weapon, without taking damage.

I dunno, I quite like 'em. They are a different kind of challenge to other zombies. Usually when I die from a Z-Dog it’s because I am trying to flee or run past regular zombies (knowing full well that I could normally sprint past easily) and suddenly a Z-Dog comes out of nowhere and reminds me that it was a bad plan.

If it weren’t for Z-Dogs this game would be a joke. Pretty much just start with firearms 4 and run to the nearest gunstore, dodging zombies all the way.

In near future expect zombie cows, zombie bears, and zombie deer. May have different behaviour from the normal zombies you see.

In the further future expect mutant semizombie cats, bats, and snapping turtles.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:30, topic:3158”]In near future expect zombie cows, zombie bears, and zombie deer. May have different behaviour from the normal zombies you see.

In the further future expect mutant semizombie cats, bats, and snapping turtles.[/quote]

Will there be a giant snapping turtle swamp/pond creatures?

good zombie series by Mira Grant. She has zombie bears. She got nominated for a couple of hugos.

Don’t forget giant mutant beavers.

Also as soon as monster jsonization settles down I’m planning on yanking zombie dogs from classic, so there’s that.

Obviously, the game needs more ZomBEES

Well, i agree with having some kind of “disable zombie dogs” option, but one thing is for sure: zombie dogs are great for training dodge skill, and once you get a shotgun, some melee skills or a good weapon with a high to hit chance they no longer pose a threat.

You could also try to reinforce your clothing, so that it doesn’t get ripped and helps with damage (i think).

BaAaAaAaAad

:stuck_out_tongue: