Reloading used .22 cartridges shouldn't be possible

My first suggestion: make it impossible to reload .22 casings along with any other rimfire rounds that are added later on.

Rimfire rounds don’t use separate primers (they have a liquid/gel primer poured into the casing at time of manufacture) so being able to dismantle a shitload of .22 rat-shot for the primers, lead and powders, and then reloading a bunch of spent .223 cartridges just doesn’t work.

It should still be possible to recover a some lead and powder from dismantled .22 rounds, and it should even be OK to rebuild new .22LR from unfired .22 ratshot and .22CB casings, just not re-using the fired .22 casings.

if any of the devs decide they want to implement these changes but need more detail on how this all works I’m more than happy to answer questions.

Related topic: IIRC 4.6 & 5.7 is actually caseless, so there shouldn’t be anything to reload.

I like your thinking, but you don’t remember correctly :slight_smile:

Both are pretty conventional centerfire rounds in terms of their construction. Brass, primer, lead, powder all present and correct.

Receiving primers when disassembling .22 rounds is a known issue. (will be fixed)
There isn’t a recipe to make .22 rounds. (yea it’s maybe possible to reload .22 with fresh .22 casings, but not worth the effort to special-case* it IMO)

*case, hah

Weird, I was certain I’d disassembled a bunch of ratshot to make .22LR but it must’ve been .223 I was making instead.

In that case might it be worth making .22 rounds not eject casings at all just to save on number of items in the environment?

I could get behind that, .22 casings are useless and teensy.

It’s a bit too game-y to me to remove the item from the game just because there’s no obvious use for it, you fire a gun and you expect a casng to fly out. In fact the original addition of casings was for the ambiance rather than to enable reloads.

I’ve fired a 5-7, 5.7mm is not caseless.

Unless you’re firing a revolver. Or a breach action rifle.

Unless you’re firing a revolver. Or a breach action rifle.[/quote]

True, that’s something we don’t handle properly. I’d like to fix that up, but frankly it’s more trouble than it’s worth at the moment due to having to carry around additional state with the gun to track how many cartridges are left in the gun and add additional code to handle producing the cartriges at reload or unload time.

It’s possible we’ll move to tracking individual rounds in the gun instead of the kind of hacky way we handle it now, at which point converting rounds to cartriges in the gun and then ejecting them when desired will be fairly trivial, but no significant features call for this, so it’ll probably be a while.

Huh. Thought 5.7 & 4.6 had that in common. Guess I was wrong.

[quote=“sideways86, post:5, topic:1144”]Weird, I was certain I’d disassembled a bunch of ratshot to make .22LR but it must’ve been .223 I was making instead.

In that case might it be worth making .22 rounds not eject casings at all just to save on number of items in the environment?[/quote]

Go to the iuse file, I believe, and you should be able to stop it from ejecting the case.

It is either that one or itemdef, IIRC.

Ah, good old Five seveN.
I’m quite sure there was an assault rifle chambered in some obscure calibre designed to use caseless rounds.
Think it was made by H&K, but iirc they had problems with the heat generated during sustained fire.

Ah, good old Five seveN.
I’m quite sure there was an assault rifle chambered in some obscure calibre designed to use caseless rounds.
Think it was made by H&K, but iirc they had problems with the heat generated during sustained fire.[/quote]

It also had a bad problem with jamming.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:13, topic:1144”]I’m quite sure there was an assault rifle chambered in some obscure calibre designed to use caseless rounds.
Think it was made by H&K, but iirc they had problems with the heat generated during sustained fire.[/quote]That would be the H&K G11 you’re looking for. It fired a unique 4.73x33mm caseless round out of a 50-round magazine.

The Volcanic Repeating Firearms company also produced lever-action rifles and pistols chambered in a very early form of caseless ammo, called “Rocket Ball” ammunition. However, due to the small space and the small amount of powder in that space, these rounds were significantly weaker than even the feeblest of modern pistol rounds such as .25 ACP.

When can I get that gun that fires like 22000 rounds per minute or something? It’d take like 30 smgs, 500 ammo, ram and things for the electric firing mechanisms, and you’d have to reload every time, but why not?

It was made by a company called Metal Storm.
They went out of business IIRC.

Apparently they made a MG with 45,000 RPM per barrel, with 36 barrels.

Also China is trying to copy the technology.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:17, topic:1144”]It was made by a company called Metal Storm.
They went out of business IIRC.

Apparently they made a MG with 45,000 RPM per barrel, with 36 barrels.

Also China is trying to copy the technology.[/quote]

At that point, it would be a very expensive and overly complicated rocket launcher.

Though, I must admit, it would be hilarious watching a tank slowly melt by millions of bullet impacts :stuck_out_tongue: