Ranged weapon's maximum range is low

My maximum range on crossbow is 2 tiles, how to i fix this?

And some music for thinking whats the broblam:

Edit: also, dex isen’t the broblam as i was able to shoot far whit the same dex

The maximum range listed in the picture is 10. The range at which you will have 50% chance of a good hit is 2.

Longer range for both is needed, but since this game is developed in everybody’s spare time and the folks setting the workday schedule don’t allocate time for Cataclysm DDA devving who knows when it will be fixed.

So all hope is lost and i should spawn in a new crossbow?

New ranged weapon won’t help, all ranged weapons have horrible range until it gets changed in the code. Even sniper rifles have a hard time hitting someone across the street.

1 Like
1 Like

It’s because you have it set to bayonet. Press shift+F. Or whatever is the equivalent command to switch firing modes on mobile.

2 Likes

I just press . Unitil i have acceptable aim

Instead of firing the crossbow you’re trying to stab things with the bayonet, which is why it has a range of two tiles. You need to switch firing mode so you actually fire the crossbow.

Don’t feel bad, definitely something I’ve done before.

3 Likes

Is there any range/stat at which it becomes usable or is ranged fire nerfed all over?

A recent update roughly doubled the effective range of ranged weapons. They should be much better now.

1 Like

Well that sounds good! At the ranges this game is played, any carbine shot even by a novice should hit a zombie head with 100% accuracy. Maybe 80% if it’s moving.

Yup, yer on Bayonet. So do as suggested to change the weapon…else you could throw it and use it similar to a spear. I’ve done this in a last ditch to lose weight and I actually impaled a zom through the head and killed it lol

That’s… a bit optimistic. Also, the range ingame is limited by the fact that it would be far too resource intensive to simulate much more than that at a time, but guns still need to have some difference in stats.

I don’t like that kind of trade off. I prefer to have more realism gun-wise even if it’s at the cost of a lack of differences in the guns.

Working toward it over time:

Eventual goal is being able to “reach out and touch someone” at a distance of 1,000+ tiles.

We don’t need 1,000 tiles. View range now is good enough, for now. Making guns more realistic is critical now.

Shouldn’t it be just a tweak to a few numbers? It’s not like you have to figure out the code to fix a complex bug.

…That sounds awesome.

Since the new update it would probably be relatively easy to make all guns accurate to 60 tiles, but then it would just be silly. Making it realistic for the sake of realism at the cost of gameplay is a big no-no.
If all guns could shoot to view distance then there wouldn’t be any reason to use any gun other than a pistol, or whatever you have the most ammo for.

Firstly, there would. Rifles deal more damage now, and I would opt for even more.
Secondly, pistols have poor ballistics, so effective range is quite low.

Effective range may be quite low, but it’ll still be out near or past the 60 tile range, making pistols more or less interchangeable with rifles in actual play, you’d just be trading out some damage in favor of less volume and quicker draw.

1 Like

Assuming a single tile is 2x2x?(pisskop) feet a pistol fired by a trainee might have effective range of 25 tiles. Assuming each tile is D&D standard 5x5x5 feet the effective range might be 5.