Random generation of bosses/enemies

Special type of enemies - random generated ones. Everything is pretty straight forward here. They are like DF’s titans.
Some of them have special abilities like dodging bullets, not being affected by fire, electricity, some are just invisible, some regenerate (oh my god), etc.

I don’t think it’s too hard to code (just make another “class” of mobs - these guys and process them as if they are common mobs)

Probably not something for zombies/animals/turrets/bots, but could work for nether monsters. That said, I’m skeptical, I don’t think it would add particularly much to the game.

Probably not something for zombies/animals/turrets/bots, but could work for nether monsters. That said, I'm skeptical, I don't think it would add particularly much to the game.
Ever since you get enough skill, good armor and weapons - the game becomes easy. Most of common enemies are no problem. Most of high-level ones too. All that because you know what to expect from them and how to fight them. If you don't know parameters, abilities, skills of some enemy - you can't predict what this enemy is. You can't predict that - lots of random FUN. That's why DF titans are so !!FUN!!.

You see a zombie hulk? Just use your gun.
You see a tank drone? Turn on cloaking system.
You see a Thriller? There’ll be DANCERS around it.
You see a shoggoth? Damn, they will regenerate.

Imagine a regenerating cloaked stone tank drone, which able to shoot lightnings at you and dodge bullets. How stupidly FUNNY it would be to encounter such an enemy not knowing what to except from them and what pain in da ass it would be to fight them.

Huh. You ask me, I’d think having to say !!FUN!! with the caps and exclamation points implies that perhaps it’s really not that enjoyable.

Could work for nethercritters around portals or something, but probably not for generic fights.

It makes perfect sense for generic mutation accident creatures. Could also make sense for some sort of bionic monster as well. Just have a pool of available mutations/bionics and have creatures select from them when spawning. There could be “slightly mutated humanoid” with one or two mutations, “mutated humanoid” with three or four, and “heavily mutated creature” with 5+, for example.

OK, so some sort of lab-finale boss fight. That’d work too, yeah.

I’d love it, though I think it would result in petatons of whining about random deaths.

Maybe if they appeared only after n-th day (configurable somewhere)?

Just lock them to certain spots.

Like branches… you got the safe “dungeon” to wander about, and then there are the “branches” that branch off, with more loot but more risk.

Like you’ll stroll around town and suddenly notice a lot of pre-genned corpses on the ground. Your call if you move on past the “branch border”, but if you get your shit wrecked by a mutant zombie hulk with 4 arms, that’s your own fault.

Finale events or a portal thing.

On the portal issue, lest there be complaints of mil-roadblock mk 2, let’s remember that most Nether critters find the Terran plane inhospitable. It’s entirely possible that this could be one that, though potent back home, fled through the portal for some nether reason, cannot or will not return despite the dangers here, and its days are numbered.

Survive long enough and/or flee successfully and the critter capable of dispatching a whole National Guard platoon will die and biodegrade on its own. Probably wasn’t anything worth salvaging from its corpse…but maybe there might have been had you been able to get at it whilst it was intact.

Mutagen finales would be pretty sweet. Fight through dozens of mutant zombies, and get shitloads of serums!

Yeah, random mutants in labs seems like a good (and the only?) place for random enemies.

Mine final - Troglobytes wielding the artifact.

Likely unrealistic, but-
Rolling Tank, a massive slow moving vehicle/dungeon(half a map tile or bigger), visible on the overmap like zombie hoards. May have different themes (survivor built, government built, etc) But someone accidentally loaded it up with the same AI that tank drones use. Now it spends it’s days smashing into things and shooting at survivors. Ma be loaded with a variety of turreted weapons, thermal sensors, those ground vibration sensors, etc, what would randomly generate. A self destruct mechanism blows it up a bit upon being disabled such that you do not get free loads of ammo and fuel all too easily, but whatever is left may still come in handy.

[quote=“iceball3, post:13, topic:8476”]Likely unrealistic, but-
Rolling Tank, a massive slow moving vehicle/dungeon(half a map tile or bigger), visible on the overmap like zombie hoards. May have different themes (survivor built, government built, etc) But someone accidentally loaded it up with the same AI that tank drones use. Now it spends it’s days smashing into things and shooting at survivors. Ma be loaded with a variety of turreted weapons, thermal sensors, those ground vibration sensors, etc, what would randomly generate. A self destruct mechanism blows it up a bit upon being disabled such that you do not get free loads of ammo and fuel all too easily, but whatever is left may still come in handy.[/quote]

Sounds like the AI Weapons from Peace Walker. In this case, the Cocoon AI.

Evidently we need an easter egg in that some of them go “La la-la lalala lalala

But yeah, it’d be cool to see a mobile dungeon styled thing. Although a big problem would be making it drive independently, and also making it so that it doesn’t just run you over while you’re inside. Also a thing of that size and noise output would probably attract a horde of zombies around it and probably be easily visible in map view, so there’s a decent amount of warning that one’s in the area.

Keep in mind that anything beyond reality bubble doesn’t exist at the moment, so all operations it could do would have to be heavily simplified.

As for vehicle AI - I’d like it to eventually be a thing, but there’s a rather big problem with vehicle pathfinding. It’s not an easy task to guide something that has momentum, limited turning capability and big size (of variable orientation at that). And that’s before we even consider possible skidding and fumbling with controls.

Being able to call your “batmobile” to you would be cool as fuck, even more if said batmobile was a reprogrammed tank drone, but it’s much easier said than done.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:15, topic:8476”]Keep in mind that anything beyond reality bubble doesn’t exist at the moment, so all operations it could do would have to be heavily simplified.

As for vehicle AI - I’d like it to eventually be a thing, but there’s a rather big problem with vehicle pathfinding. It’s not an easy task to guide something that has momentum, limited turning capability and big size (of variable orientation at that). And that’s before we even consider possible skidding and fumbling with controls.

Being able to call your “batmobile” to you would be cool as fuck, even more if said batmobile was a reprogrammed tank drone, but it’s much easier said than done.[/quote]well, the vehicle i am proposing should be both rampant and violent, slowly crushing through vehicles and houses using it’s mass.

You could do this…

XXLXX
XXXXX
XXOXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

Like, the supertank was some kind of supersecret lab project, and when the Cataclysm happened the AI went rogue, barrelled out of the lab and burned everything around it before running out of fuel.