Question about wolf spiders

Hello, I’m pretty new to cataclysm. I have a question about the max damage wolf spiders can do. My previous character was just killed by a wolf spider and he still had 95+ hp all around. Is there a secondary effect these spiders cause or was this just a bug?

They poison you doing additional damage, reducing your stats, and causing a lot of pain.

I thought so, but doing 90+ damage in one hit? Is that possible?

It wasn’t one hit. You were probably poisoned and in unfavorable terrain, so it just kept wailing away on you before you can react, raising your pain so it can wail even more.

You probably got slowed enough by the pain of the first hit and the venom that it got another hit in, poisoning you further, causing more pain, etc.

I had just finished picking some things up off the ground and it surprised me. I didn’t even have a chance to respond as I was already dead by the time I realized I had been attacked. (I never attacked or ran)
So I guess my real question is, even if it could let loose at full power, could it have done 90+ damage in 1-3 attacks?

1-3? No

7-10? Yes. The spider had a field day with ripping your body into little gore piles.

Just to be clear though, is it possible for it to attack 7-10 times before I even take a turn (run, attack back, ect)

No point in making up things, just play around. You’ll meet packs of 'em.
You will find a bad, bad spider - a web one, or a big momma - the homely widow spider - anywhere you go. Take a common bashing weapon and try them with your skills, and with some luck you can advance without much harm, sidewise.
Also, if you actually did die ingame - why don’t you start your character with the Fast Learner trait, and be it - hone your melee skills more often?

Persistence and creativity, possibly some luck are all you need.

If you leave yourself open or are sufficiently unlucky, yes. The only safe way to kill the bugs in this game is with a flame thrower.

If you leave yourself open or are sufficiently unlucky, yes. The only safe way to kill the bugs in this game is with a flame thrower.[/quote]

Alright, I’ll have to be more careful then. Thanks for the help.

You said you were picking things up. At the moment grabbing items takes a turn [B]per item[/B] and isn’t interruptible.

So if you were grabbing a bottle of water, crowbar, bullets, bag of chips, sweater and a shovel out of the basket on your bike that takes 6 turns of spider face eating.

I’d like to see it ask if you’d like to stop picking up items if you get hit. “You took damage. Stop gathering stuff? y/n”

[quote=“vultures, post:9, topic:1391”]No point in making up things, just play around. You’ll meet packs of 'em.
You will find a bad, bad spider - a web one, or a big momma - the homely widow spider - anywhere you go. Take a common bashing weapon and try them with your skills, and with some luck you can advance without much harm, sidewise.
Also, if you actually did die ingame - why don’t you start your character with the Fast Learner trait, and be it - hone your melee skills more often?

Persistence and creativity, possibly some luck are all you need.[/quote]

Fast learner is broken and doesn’t do what you think it does. http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=725.msg8428#msg8428

[quote=“TaintedHolyWater, post:12, topic:1391”]You said you were picking things up. At the moment grabbing items takes a turn [B]per item[/B] and isn’t interruptible.

So if you were grabbing a bottle of water, crowbar, bullets, bag of chips, sweater and a shovel out of the basket on your bike that takes 6 turns of spider face eating.

I’d like to see it ask if you’d like to stop picking up items if you get hit. “You took damage. Stop gathering stuff? y/n”[/quote]

Ok! This makes a lot of since then, as I was picking a bunch of stuff up at once.

Yeah early encounters with Wolf Spiders usually can be pretty fatal, but if you are getting chased by one I would suggest running towards the nearest NPC (with a gun) to try to kill it off for you (if you do have NPCs enabled) or run towards the nearest trap pit/lava pool to kill it. Thats what I’ve found out that what works so far, because my current character is an archer and well I don’t really see any option to craft anything better than wood arrows, yet.

Flamethrower, crossbow, molotovs, mininuke, pipe smg, hand grenades, car.

Fast learner is broken and doesn't do what you think it does. http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=725.msg8428#msg8428

Yes, it does more. It’s only once you get out of that car, you don’t get a 3rd person shooter experience.
If you’re on foot and travel/hunt, you’ll get my drift.