PSA: Nested Containers is now live in experimental

GGG’s post may only have to do with updating from a pre-nested to a nested build. So far I haven’t had any issues, except an error that continually pops up when I try to activated something while my backpack is on the ground next to me which you can safely ignore.

Just a thing you need to watch out for. Always, and I do mean ALWAYS drop your liquid containers first if you’ve looted or obtained liquid based items, never select the water or whatever itself to be dropped, because if you drop the liquid it’s the same as emptying the containers, leading to a spill that you have to mop up or something.

1 Like

I’m on build 10766 in a newly generated world and I’d say… No.
It’s “playable” for testing purposes or if you don’t have high expectations, but a lot of things are still messed up (or maybe I just picked a bad version); mostly things that hold charges.
As GiggleGrassGatherer states: USBs will not have any software, gas tanks/containers will be empty, lighters and matchbooks will - for the most part - spawn and drop empty, weapons like flamethrowers will spawn empty as well…
Cash cards do drop with money on them, but I haven’t tested if they can actually be used.

I have some errors pop up with _____ was loaded with charges, but can not have any!, but no crash yet related to the nested containers.

Keep in mind, as my build version is a few days old, some of these might already be fixed.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the informations, i tried to migrate my save to the new version but finally gave up. I unloaded everything i could before the migration, that part was fine. Small errors are fine, debug mode is a good workaround, but AIM gives none and crashes too many times, some items stuck into my inventory after a none created, i mean they are visible with AIM only and i can not interact with them, some stackable items are not stackable on trade mode, etc. But i will start a new game maybe that way the problems are less horrendous.

I managed to migrate but it was about 3 weeks ago. Apparently too many patches happened between then and now for old saves to be migratable, in current state, at least. I wonder if 0.F will be the first no-migration milestone.

– Rise!

** Latogato wildly waving and accidentally spill his magical liquid component from his open container to the ground, while a bunch of none appearing out of nowhere and the world suddenly crash to the desktop **

A month ago i tried to play my older save after the nested containers update and it was (sadly) a complete disaster for me. I started a new game but it still crashed frequently.

I don’t know how many people stuck with the 10613 version beside me, but i simply can’t play a game with inventory related bugs and crashes, it ruining the fun.

Someone could give me a update about the current state of the inventory management? Is the crash problems are solved? Is it playable? Thank you.

Crashes are mostly solved but there are still bugs. Many, many bugs. Some of them bordering on gamebreakings, even, like item duplication on load for some NPCs. But if you compare it to the chaos that was 10614-10640 or so, I’d say it is playable. Especially if you start from scratch. Updating from pre-NC build to current experimental, though? I wouldn’t recommend it.

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer, i will give it a try with a new world and character!

While in the inventory menu, press the semi-colon to get a less messy view of your stuff. Hoping this becomes an option at first press. I hate having to press my inventory buttons twice considering how often I look through it. Like shaving with broken glass level of arduous.

1 Like

Thank you, it is really helpful.

with 0.F coming to release, i hope Nested Containers got what it needs to become 100% playable

no need to hope, just check it out and post bug reports.

1 Like

Since you are on at present. May I ask if that semi-colon function in the inventory menu could be a permanent option please? As in, when I hit " i " for my inventory it is set to that other mode as a default.

Game Settings= set inventory menu mode (one or the other)

edit: crap, just missed you while I was typing :roll_eyes:

1 Like

you right, its been awhile i didn’t pull out a bug report and issue report on github.

or maybe im just accustomed to the fair deal of experimental new feature (new feature access earlier but plus bugs coming with it)

but with my recent experimental gameplay, i found that nested containers has worked perfectly good, although im still learning to get used to setting up where i should store particular items (i.e i want to put every foods into my backpack, and drinks on my rucksack)

overall, 8.5/10, gettting good.

Just tested latest experimental and this is either not an option still or I am not seeing it under a name that stands out.

Requesting this as a toggle option once again to be set as a default, please. Having this for people who like either and being able to change between is a benefit for all.

quoting myself:
May I ask if that semi-colon function in the inventory menu could be a permanent option please? As in, when I hit " i " for my inventory it is set to that other mode as a default.

1 Like

Tested latest and bumping my request. Again.

Just tested latest experimental and this is either not an option still or I am not seeing it under a name that stands out.

Requesting this as a toggle option once again to be set as a default, please. Having this for people who like either and being able to change between is a benefit for all.

quoting myself:
May I ask if that semi-colon function in the inventory menu could be a permanent option please? As in, when I hit " i " for my inventory it is set to that other mode as a default.

I remember that I’ve already written that I’m confident this is on the to do list (along with many other things), just not high priority (and might also be affected by the current feature freeze).
But you’re welcome to increase its priority, for example by voting for it on the projects FeatHub page or even by offering a bounty on the projects bountysource page, which makes it more likely that some developer will pick it up.

Additionally, it’s worth to mention: The project is open source, so you’re also welcome to contribute changes on its GitHub yourself.

Limiting your actions to just bumping the same post over and over is unlikely to have the desired effect.

2 Likes