Plane crashes

Yeah, that’s an even worse idea. Cataclysm has always been supportive of whatever living style you choose, so neither a nomadic lifestyle nor a mobile base have a particularly large advantage over each other, or are completely unsustainable over time. Plus, remember your survivalist run? You wouldn’t have been able to build an airbase in any reasonable timeframe under those circumstances. And then there’s the people who try to push item and building spawns down as far as they can go. Incentivizing one particular playstyle is just as bad as having a single-item counter.

Give it a few years lol.

[quote=“Inadequate, post:21, topic:4860”]Yeah, that’s an even worse idea. Cataclysm has always been supportive of whatever living style you choose, so neither a nomadic lifestyle nor a mobile base have a particularly large advantage over each other, or are completely unsustainable over time. Plus, remember your survivalist run? You wouldn’t have been able to build an airbase in any reasonable timeframe under those circumstances. And then there’s the people who try to push item and building spawns down as far as they can go. Incentivizing one particular playstyle is just as bad as having a single-item counter.[/quote]you do have a valid point. there should be a way to implement post-world-creation plane crashes though, without the danger of your base being randomly destroyed. perhaps allow the player to build a limited number of special bulletin boards which would prevent the plan crash event from taking place in that tile, and of course whichever tile the player happens to be on would be immune from plane crashes.

It’s a moot point until post-worldgen map alterations are worked out, but I think something like that should be baked into the code inherently, rather than tied to anything the player does. Maybe some post-worldgen map alterations that can affect your base might be interesting, but probably not if it has a chance of instantly killing you. If I recall correctly, there used to be lightning strikes during rainstorms that had a chance of setting random buildings on fire, including your base, but it was taken out after people complained.

lol yeah i would’ve complained after seeing my palisade which took so much time and resources to build go up in flames. wouldn’t be so bad if you could use materials over than short rope to build them.

Well, having a plane fall in your base could still be a posibility. I think this kind of random chances and stuff are what make a good roguelike.

Random chance is all well and good, but I don’t think it should extend to instant death. Judging by the lightning issue apparently most others feel the same way.

What about radios? Having one around, you could possibly pick up on the transmission and be notified of the crashing plane. Could also add in a GPS item or let the PDA have the coordinates plugged into it and reveal the crash location on the map.

This and also I think that it would be sensible for the military to broadcast airstrike targets through the radio a few hours before the attack just to warn survivors, proven of course that they are not targeting the survivors.

I read this on the verge of laughing. I think part of the appeal of the roguelike game is the ever-present sulking possibility of the random and unavoidable death.
“You’re right, Inadequate!” says the godlike archer-mage bleeding out at the bottom of some demon-ghost’s throne room, feet from a chest full of legendary loot.
“You’re right, Inadequate!” says the Cata survivor who is only half-conscious, laying in the dirt outside his house, trying to make it to the stream to get more water so he can craft some clean water and stop himself from dehydrating and dying from his flu.
“htpiwen, kwehrbnib,” says the same survivor after three days without water, countless tries to drink dirty water, to no avail, his body decaying while he still lives, after making it to the stream and starting a fire near it only to realize that his morale isn’t high enough to craft clean water as he sits seemingly without any hope of life at this random and unavoidable death, cursing anyone who ever disagreed with his friend Inadequate, praying to the spirit of roguelike games… but the spirit of roguelike games doesn’t answer him.
The spirit of roguelike games doesn’t answer to anyone.

How is that death unavoidable? Just drink the river water. Whatever, food poisoning, its only -20 speed, compared to dehydration, its a net gain.

I think the point was a plane would crash anywhere and you shouldnt be underneath it if you can help it. And having low perception and stepping on a land mine is just as unavoidable and random as a plane crash.

So are we going to find random plane crashes all over the world in random tiles, or will they be big enough to have their own tile? Either one would be cool, but I’m not really sure how big airplanes are.

It’d be sweet to have your new base at a “Crash Site” tile. Awesome.

Also, infinite scrap metal <:D

[quote=“Rask, post:33, topic:4860”]So are we going to find random plane crashes all over the world in random tiles, or will they be big enough to have their own tile? Either one would be cool, but I’m not really sure how big airplanes are.

It’d be sweet to have your new base at a “Crash Site” tile. Awesome.

Also, infinite scrap metal <:D[/quote]

If the current crash sites are considered helicopters, a plane crash…

welp depends if it’s a Cessna or a Boeing 747. for a large civilian craft or C-130-sized craft I’m thinking 3/4 map tiles of wreckage and stuff, followed by a few tiles of uneven earth/rubble from where it touched down. a few more tiles to the sides somewhere, not necessarily connecting to represent the wings breaking off on landing… etc.

#
#   #
X   #   #
X   X    X
     X
       X

Something like that?

please remind me again, why would we have crashed plains in the game? Just because we can? Well, then i suggest crashed space shuttles, crashed submarines and a crashed Death Star. Because.

I find it hard to believe that you can die of thirst in this game unavoidably, considering how easy it is to make clean water.

A more reasonable “unavoidable death” might be a zombie hulk outside the starting shelter or something.

There’s a pertinent section regarding the broader question in the dungeon crawl stone soup design philosophy:

The possibility of unavoidable deaths is a larger topic in computer games. Ideally, a game like this would be really challenging and have both random layout and random course of action, yet still be winnable with perfect play. This goal seems out of reach. Thus, computer games can be soft in the sense that optimal play ensures a win. Apart from puzzles, though, this means that the game is solved from the outset; this is where the lack of a human game-master is obvious. Alternatively, they can be hard in the sense that unavoidable deaths can occur. We feel that the latter choice provides much more fun in the long run.

dcss is pretty radically different than catacylsm but I guess this is relevant

in any case I think losing a character because a plane falls on you is ridiculous

If I were to make the crashed planes, I wouldn’t make them out of scrap metal/[whatever the helicopter crashes are made out of], I’d be making them out of “Wreckage” as to avoid a huge stockpile of free scrap.

Think about it. One guy infected gets on a plane, then shit hits the fan. The plane goes down.

i already thought about it. What you probably meant is 1 infected dead guy got on a plane… or commited suicide while on a plane … and singlehandedly overpowered all or some of the alive guys on the plane, causing a crash. Because err… this is not a fast acting virus.
Want planes ? Ok, generate a few airports and populate them with planes. Just don’t make them fall over here and there.

Mmm. Right…