Idea for some locations

So I have played the game for a while now, and I was thinking of some cool locales that you could find and would be fun to have added in. I will list them in point form with some details below.

• Crashed Airplanes.
    ^ This could include crashed military fighters, or civilian air lines. I mean when the world goes to hell in a hand basket, some of these suckers will get into a poor situation and fall out of the sky. I mean we already have crashed helicopter sites right? This is a bit of a stretch, but could you imagine finding a downed futuristic fighter, and it has a turbine engine lying by it, or pieces of one. (Anyone else imagining hooking up turbine engines to their mobile fortresses?) Of course it can always be balanced by restricting the turbine engines to only being powered by a mini reactor or a plasma engine. If you want to discuss realism, I mean heck the M1 Abrams uses a turbine engine
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/m1-tank2.htm

• Weapons factories.
    ^ I know I have seen some other people mention having automated Rivtec weapons facilities or robot facilities. But wouldn’t it be cool to find a super rare weapons manufacturing facility? Obviously it can be balanced to have high end turrets guarding it’s double fenced perimeter. (Similar but more complex than a military bunker.) and it could require it’s own access card to get into, but you can also use other means such as acetylene torch or probability drive. You could find a plethora of weapons parts, and of course the inside of the building would be locked down tight with automated security bots after the cataclysm. The sky is the limit how one could deck out the interior. Lets be real here for a second, wouldn’t you just die from excitement if you found a Military grade assembly facility that used to construct tanks? Or better, tank drones? Imagine seeing that mall sized sucker bristling in defense turrets, anti-material turrets, and tank drones/chicken walkers patrolling it’s perimeter?

• Food manufacturing facilities.
    ^ Wouldn’t you love to find a candy factory and make it your home? Or come across a canning facility that processes thousands on tons of canned food stuffs? Obviously the obvious balances in realism can still apply, and since the food is all canned, you wouldn’t have to worry about expiry, but you could explore the conveyors and storage/shipping rooms. I imagine you’d find a few automated defense systems. And lets be honest, it really isn’t overkill, because it’s only canned foods, and they can start to weigh a lot if you carry to much, not to mention you’ll still have to find a water source.

• Military Convoys.
    ^ I know we can find military roadblocks, APC’s etc etc. But wouldn’t it be cool to stumble across a convoy of Military Transports and APC’s? Sort of a place where they got caught be a large horde of zombies and made their last stand? Of course the convoy could be almost void of all ammunition because of the fact that they expended it all on the zombie horde, and the vehicles could be semi trashed, and weapons almost all gone, but you could still salvage something from it. I imagine you could find quite a few zombie soldiers remaining behind to bite your neck off though.

• Secret government transports.
    ^ These could look exactly like normal semi trucks on the road with a large closed off trailer behind them. Abandoned in the rush of the cataclysm, and left to their own. Maybe they contain something making an incredible banging noise, or a slight humming. Who knows what secret technology, or evil menace they were transporting to one of those Labs. Reminiscent of X-files anyone? Anyways, I could imagine opening one up and I get mauled by a horde of blobs, or I see a motorcycle equipped with some cool small and lightweight plasma engine.

• Observatory.
    ^ I think it’d be pretty sick to find a observatory. Read some transcripts of what the scientists stationed their saw during the final moments, or perhaps warnings that they saw in the sky. Little notes and entries to entice the player more in the lore of the game. I personally love reading the log entries on the computers of labs, why not have some computers in the observatories we can read.

I could be here all day with idea’s but I want to keep it short. Constructive criticism, feedback, and whether you think it’s dumb or not is appreciated. Thanks for reading. (Apologies in advance to anyone who previously mentioned any of these.)

I especially like the plane crash idea.

I’d like to see more conjoined stores, such as strip malls with multiple tenant spaces. I think that, if there isn’t already, there should be an urban density factor where certain buildings only spawn closer to the center of mass of cities, and those buildings should be of a denser urban fabric. Rowhouses, mid-rise condos, high-rise office, subway stations, parking garages, and the like could be found in these parts of cities. Obviously z-level will become more important as well.

I like all of these, might be fun to start working on some, would just have to break into the mapgen JSON files to see how they tick…
I have one quip - food canning factory with… automated defenses??? nahhh they’d just have a couple security guards, liability would not be worth it if an automated system glitched, and it is just food. canned food. ; ]

[quote=“Cat09, post:3, topic:9646”]I like all of these, might be fun to start working on some, would just have to break into the mapgen JSON files to see how they tick…
I have one quip - food canning factory with… automated defenses??? nahhh they’d just have a couple security guards, liability would not be worth it if an automated system glitched, and it is just food. canned food. ; ][/quote]

You definitely make a good point, maybe even a few automated defense systems would be a bit overkill for a food canning facility. I just figured in an age of automation, that since automated security seems to be in cheap mass production and security bots and riot bots are everywhere, that corporate giants processing mass canned food for the market might just install one or two of these cheap and easily maintainable alternatives over a security guard. Thanks for the feedback guys.

If there was a chance of the food factory getting mainlined, I could totally make it on my freetime :slight_smile:

I like the idea. PR it!

I like the idea. PR it![/quote]

He should definitely PR it :wink:

Hate to double post, but I don’t want to make a second thread.

Sorry if it’s obvious and a dumb question. But any plans to implement freeways and highways? You don’t necessarily need to raise them up, just add fences or barriers along the sides and let the imagination do the rest. Driving on 2 lane roads all game when I think about it is a bit odd…

Imagine going to a food factory a few months after the cataclysm, and all the food is rotten…

…giant maggots …giant flies …'50s B-film galore.

Is it even possible to give a location different spawns based on the calendar?

perhaps by altering the zombie upgrade system for non zombies you could somewhat organically have the little guys get buffed up over time