Plane crashes

This is flight 119, we have infected in the passenger area and we have locked the cabin. Repeat, this is flight 119 we have infected on board and they are about to get it. Flight 119 going down, flight 119 going down.

We have helicopter crashes, why not plane crashes! Instead of military paraphernalia, there would be civilian stuff thrown around; clothes, suitcases, ect.

Also, the crash would be bigger; a lot more metal wreckage in a more defined shape strung out further.

A good idea!

Proven that it actually resembles a plane (with some parts of the cabin undamaged, recognizable wings and tail), and is not a random heap of rubble like the current crash sites, it would should possibly span several squares, a 3*3 sounds reasonable for a normal modern passenger plane and should have a a considerably big trail of destruction near it. Yeah I like it, would possibly make a cool base too.

It would be neat if enough of the plane survives that you could patch up the holes with wooden walls and live in the burned-out hull.

This is a great idea. A base in a broken plane would be awesome.

I like the idea!

+1 from a lurker.

Well, the question then becomes how long ago would the crash have been?

Furthermore, this brings us closer to a concept of active events going on,
such as a plane crashing several days into a game,
the military trying to nuke some of the larger cities to try to slow the spread,
wandering hordes of zombies,
etc.

I’d imagine the easiest method of implementation would be to have it as a random event same as with helicopter crashes. Post-worldgen map alterations are a different beast entirely. If it could get implemented that way it would not be an entirely bad idea, as long as you don’t have your base suddenly crushed by a falling plane.

[quote=“Inadequate, post:8, topic:4860”]I’d imagine the easiest method of implementation would be to have it as a random event same as with helicopter crashes. Post-worldgen map alterations are a different beast entirely. If it could get implemented that way it would not be an entirely bad idea, as long as you don’t have your base suddenly crushed by a falling plane.[/quote]maybe add an AA battery you can install in your base which auto-targets aircraft that is on a collision trajectory with the AA’s position.

Uh, I think having to install military-grade artillery to avoid an otherwise random and unavoidable death is a bit much. Best to just sidestep the whole issue.

I disagree, at least to the “sidestep the issue entirely” thing.
It should be something that can happen off maybe 2 or more map tiles away, let the player know about it due to a loud sound, and make it rare. It might destroy the player’s house, but honestly that should be a rarity. Plus, there should be an option to toggle random events on and off.

Even if it’s a one in a million chance, a completely random and unavoidable death shouldn’t be in the game at all. It goes against the spirit of a roguelike.

[quote=“Inadequate, post:10, topic:4860”]Uh, I think having to install military-grade artillery to avoid an otherwise random and unavoidable death is a bit much. Best to just sidestep the whole issue.[/quote]well that wouldn’t be the AA’s only function; it would also defend you from, [quote=“HunterAlpha1”]how about when flying you’re on a “flying screen” which would be much like the world map screen, and then to land use the appropriate hotkey to reduce power. this takes you back down into the main screen where you have a very limited number of turns to either:

A: select a spot to land
B: abort the landing and return to the “flying screen”

and after the mounted weapons shooting your own vehicle issue has been fixed, add flying monsters that you can engage in dogfights. [/quote]

Why in the world would you even want to install a AA battery to fire at aircraft? It’s not like zombies are flying planes and helicopters…

There are so many roguelikes with random and unavoidable deaths; not that I’m against your main point, but just wanted to through that out there.

If you want to play sky pirate I don’t think Cataclysm is the right game for you.

And yes, maybe I should have specified this game in particular. I still feel like it goes against the spirit of the genre in general, but this game in particular is generally pretty good at avoiding monsters/situations where you need a single specific object/weapon to win, let alone survive.

[quote=“Clayton, post:14, topic:4860”]Why in the world would you even want to install a AA battery to fire at aircraft? It’s not like zombies are flying planes and helicopters…

There are so many roguelikes with random and unavoidable deaths; not that I’m against your main point, but just wanted to through that out there.[/quote]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSziMeScxuo 01:54 and onward, that’s why. do you really think in the cataclysm there wouldn’t be flying monsters?

Considered we don’t have z-levels, no lol.

[quote=“Clayton, post:17, topic:4860”]Considered we don’t have z-levels, no lol.[/quote]YET!..

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong in the idea of repurposing an anti-aircraft artillery gun as a turret or something similar. Disregarding the dubious merit of your other suggestion, it still doesn’t legitimize the idea of a plane being able to kill you out of nowhere without one specific counter to it.

[quote=“Inadequate, post:19, topic:4860”]I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong in the idea of repurposing an anti-aircraft artillery gun as a turret or something similar. Disregarding the dubious merit of your other suggestion, it still doesn’t legitimize the idea of a plane being able to kill you out of nowhere without one specific counter to it.[/quote]it would insentivise the player to build or obtain a mobile air base(once z-levels, aircraft, hovercraft, etc. are implemented) so that you wouldn’t be in this kind of danger anymore.