Overmap Rebalancing - Update (2016-11-29)

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen!

Considering recent changes in Cataclysm:DDA & PKs rebalance mod, I changed affected parts in my mod. Before updating, please delete the old mod folder! (Some filenames changed.)

Leon, I just want to thank you again. It’s been a while since I tried your mod, I just read the HUGE update and work you’ve been doing lately and seems I’m going to love it. I really wish more people enjoy your work. Thank you for all the love for the game.

once again:
Considering recent changes in Cataclysm:DDA & PKs rebalance mod, I changed affected parts in my mod.
Before updating, please delete the old mod folder!

@AdonaiJr
Thank you very much for your kind words! :slight_smile:

Hey leon! Thanks for your hard work :slight_smile: I really like how your mod works!
I was wondering if it’d be possible for you to mod a random city sizes on map generation? I’d like to see a variety of small and big cities. Just like in real life - you see plenty of small villages, some bigger ones and huge capitals.

I dont know if its possible, but larger city sizes and more distance between each city will help.

I get a variety, sometimes huge cities and sometimes only small scattered areas. I wish we could have routes and route-side homes.

[quote=“lordmatiz, post:24, topic:11725”]Hey leon! Thanks for your hard work :slight_smile: I really like how your mod works!
I was wondering if it’d be possible for you to mod a random city sizes on map generation? I’d like to see a variety of small and big cities. Just like in real life - you see plenty of small villages, some bigger ones and huge capitals.[/quote]

Good day, lordmatiz!

Thank you for your kind words. :slight_smile:
To be fair, momentarily I keep this mod only working with pisskops “pk rebalance” and the experimental builds, but don’t extend it’s content: attention drifting to other games currently :wink:

Modding different sized cities in would be possible, but these would be very “static” - just like the necropolis (I hope, I don’t spoiler the game for you! If you don’t know, what I mean with “necropolis”: don’t google it.)

The best way to enhance your gaming experience is, like pisskop mentioned, to change “city spacing” and “city sizes”.
I made some screenshots (https://imgur.com/a/1vjSF) that may help you deciding, what settings fit you best.
If you want to experiment with this both settings: it seems like “city sizes” influences “city spacing”. So, if you choose a greater number in “city sizes”, cities will be more apart from each other, even if you let “city spacing” untouched.

Is mod no longer working with latest expiremental builds? I am receiving “weather” error when trying to create new game

This mod should have no effect upon the weather?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/aWEhvGD.png

I noted that this mod is prefaced with English not being the author’s first language, but… I am totally confused as to what this mod does and how to install it? I am not sure what he means by overmap? What mods do you need installed first for the base version? Can someone enlighten nooby little me?

overmap tiles are largest part of map

^^^ that

Imagine your character. A tileset doodad, or a proper ‘@’.
Now, imagine the world around them. trees, shrubs, guns on the ground, windows, and zombies.
This is the local map.

Now, press ‘m’.
This is the overmap. Each tile is part of the regional map.
Each and every single regional map tile is made of 24x24 local tiles.

Now, imagine a gigantic square. 5-8 times larger than the map region revealed by a lab.
This is the overmap proper.
Regions so large they can git 5-6 size 4 cities in them and still have space for vast wilderness. Regions that can comfortable fit a size 12 city in them.
Unless you have a car, and are dedicated to driving around and never revisiting old areas, you will be lucky to ever see more than 1 overmap region. 2 or 3 if you reside on a border.

The game generates structures in overmap chunks. These regional tiles are permanently placed once you enter a new overmap, but will be randomly generated when they enter your reality bubble.
For instance, if you went to a gun store. If you saved the game with it 5 regional tiles away you could continuously walk to the store, and quit the game and reload it every time it didnt have an rpg in it. The game will always know a gun store is on that regional tile, but will not spawn the gun store itself until you enter its area.

In this way, the mod here will regulate how many of any specific structure will spawn in any 1 overmap. So, an evac center (where all the npcs are) will spawn 1 time per overmap region. If you ever see 2 on your map at once, you know they belong to different overmap regions.

This mod is perfect for me, but it still not working for me. Receiving same error when trying to create new game: http://imgur.com/aWEhvGD
Does this mod works for anyone at the moment?

If you have that crash, go into your overmap_rebalancing folder and replace the regional_map_settings.json with this one

For some reason, recent experimental builds moved definable constants for the weather out of the source and into json. Which I mean, I guess is good, except they also made it a required subsection and error if it doesn’t exist. I basically just added this to the end of the overmap rebalancing json, copied from the base game’s version.

}, "weather": { "base_temperature" : 6.5, "base_humidity" : 66.0, "base_pressure" : 1015.0, "base_acid" : 0.0 } }

I see thanks for the clarification! I see and I have got this working and its pretty darn good, the map is so much more … Apocalyptic… I assume its this mod that is causing many more burnt down buildings in cities?

Question for the author: Quote: “Personally, I prefer maps with small cities, that are far away from each other.” So what are the World generation settings that you play with personally to get this? I have got mine on city size 6 and distance between cities at 7.

Overmap special “2fMotel” has invalid location ,by_hiway"

Any ideas how to fix it?

Were the commas there originally?

“location”: [ “by_hiway” ],

sound right

[quote=“Wojtek94, post:36, topic:11725”]Overmap special “2fMotel” has invalid location ,by_hiway"

Any ideas how to fix it?[/quote]
See following commit: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/commit/b7cad63c8df5eaea6c7be2a1e5dbe15677d0be02. You need to replace “by_hiway” with “by_road”.

Once again:
Considering recent changes in Cataclysm:DDA & PKs rebalance mod, I changed affected parts in my mod.
Before updating, please delete the old mod folder!

Sincerely

Leon