Omnicaliber Cannon Arm CBM

[quote=“Slax, post:1924, topic:441”]Here’s something.

Can load and fire just about anything from pistol calibers to tank shells. The short yet adaptive barrel/muzzle grabs whatever you load in and the bolt locks everything in place.
One shot, so make it count. And do make sure your bicep is in shape or you’ll be sporting a rather severe arm pain after firing.[/quote]

[quote=“Logrin, post:1926, topic:441”]It would be more compact than lugging that beastly rifle around for the sake of ready to fire Nitro rounds, same goes with 40mm’s and mininukes. Honestly I think it sounds better than the fusion blaster arm.

This actually brings a thought to mind though, would it be possible to have bionics that require certain OTHER bionics to be installed before you can try and stuff them in yourself? If so you could have certain black market additions like a burst fire for this or the fusion blaster. With burst turned on you’d consume more energy/ammo and generate a little pain every time you fire your arm cannon.[/quote]

Be it 9x19mm or a (short enough) tank shell, this thing can fire it. Just put whatever it is you want to fire in the breach and the mechanisms handle everything else. Round locked in place, ready to fire. One shot, reload.
Use your ammo skills to build huge shot shells and various other overkill goodness for it.

Discuss, dream, tinker.

Badass, but i think to justify something like this, the reload time would have to be around half of that for a crossbow with a mid-strength user. It needs to be a long enough time period to justify being able to pop open a bunker with a rocket, and then murdering a baby from a mile away using a fifty cal.

Perhaps allowing more than one could help counter balance the slow reload time. Perhaps up to two arm based augmentations. One fusion blaster, one Omnicaliber, or two fussion blasters or two Omni-cals. Perhaps two fusion blasters could double the damage of the fusion blaster, which is really does need. Seriosly, it has trouble killing fucking brute. Fucking. Brutes.

[quote=“detahramet, post:2, topic:6121”]Badass, but i think to justify something like this, the reload time would have to be around half of that for a crossbow with a mid-strength user. It needs to be a long enough time period to justify being able to pop open a bunker with a rocket, and then murdering a baby from a mile away using a fifty cal.

Perhaps allowing more than one could help counter balance the slow reload time. Perhaps up to two arm based augmentations. One fusion blaster, one Omnicaliber, or two fussion blasters or two Omni-cals. Perhaps two fusion blasters could double the damage of the fusion blaster, which is really does need. Seriosly, it has trouble killing fucking brute. Fucking. Brutes.[/quote]
To make both usable perhaps require a mechanical arm CBM that you cannot fight with, and severely reduces crafting skills?

Or perhaps it simply encumbers your hands and arms. it seems more fitting than a blanket debuff

Cata these days is supposed to be vaguely realistic, as I understand it. Multi-caliber weapons don’t exist in reality for a host of very good reasons (like adjustable-diameter barrels being a recipe for your gun exploding in your hands). Putting it inside your body just makes it even more unrealistic, not less. And that’s just restricting it to pistol rounds, let alone rifle calibers and even bigger things. Firing a 20mm cannon round from your arm wouldn’t hurt, for instance, because you would be dead. You and your arm would both be dead, separately, on opposite sides of the room.

With all due respect, fuck that.
Fun > Reality

We’ve got mutations. Don’t see a whole lot of realism there.

Actually I’d imagine this weapon would have some sort of shock reduction system. Like excess gas is vented out the gas so it only jerks you arm a bit when you fire bigger rounds.

I’ll point out that the ‘mutations’ are explicitly closer to nanite based body sculpting than X-men style mutations… so there’s some work on plausibility there.

HOWEVER, with that said, there are some IRL kits that let a large caliber weapon (usually a shotgun or in one or two cases a 40mm) fire a selection of smaller caliber rounds using appropriately sized shell ‘sheaths’ into which a smaller round (or even multiple rounds in the case of the 40mm-.22cal ‘Hornets Nest’) is inserted.

Needless to say firing a weapon using a kit like this is usually a 1-shot affair with a somewhat longer than average reloading time. Furthermore armies very rarely expresses an interest in such devices because it’s made a lot more sense on paper and practice to simply standardize military equipment since at least the Napolionic Era (one could even cite the Marian Reforms as an earlier case.)

Still, not a bad sketch… I like the guy’s smug expression as he shows off ‘mah guns’.

Armys like kits to convert guns to 22lr for practice, full size ammo is costly.

But the gun arm, lets say it was an experimental weapon for special forces, built on the idea of giving each soldier the firepower of a squad.
By replacing there arm with a bionic weapon system.

Weapon wise lets limit it to:

9mm mode
Damage Bonus: +1
Dispersion Bonus: +10
Recoil Bonus: -3
Clip size: 30 rounds
Burst: 10 rounds
Reload time:475 turns

5.56mm mode
Damage Bonus: -6
Dispersion Bonus: +12
Recoil Bonus: +6
Clip size: 100 rounds
Burst: 30 rounds
Reload time: 750 turns

7.62mm mode
Damage Bonus: +8
Dispersion Bonus: +2
Recoil Bonus: +4
Clip size: 20 rounds
Burst: 10 rounds
Reload time: 550 turns

40mm mode
Damage Bonus: +3
Recoil Bonus: -5
Clip size: 1 rounds
Reload time: 250 turns

A power cost of 1 to change gun mode.

The down sides are that it replaces your arm and you can’t fit any upgrades to the weapons.

Re mutations: I think of 'em as Parasite Eve rapid-growth body horror, personally.

As for the arm cannon: agreed that single-shot chamber and fire anything, in one system, is a bit much. Had suggested (and I notice that didn’t make it over) that the cannon be locked into firing the first caliber you fired from it. (Nanite-based customization or somesuch.)

Idea: conversion units, so you can rebore your arm cannon as needed?

Sure. A bionic which eats conversion kits! :slight_smile:

Perhaps it is just a staircase type thing?
You have the largest caliber, at the back of that second largest, and so on down the line with each in the ass end of the other?
Such as a 7.62 with at the back at the chamber a .22 chamber?

[quote=“Blackopsman9999, post:12, topic:6121”]Perhaps it is just a staircase type thing?
You have the largest caliber, at the back of that second largest, and so on down the line with each in the ass end of the other?
Such as a 7.62 with at the back at the chamber a .22 chamber?[/quote]

oops, there goes the rifling and most of the propellant. (I suspect the recoil from an intermediate-stage round wouldn’t be much fun either?)

KA101 fires the .22LR! Bang! the bullet sorta flops out of the muzzle and drops onto the ground 10 feet away.

Something like this could work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtYgFrxIAVQ

…if it had a longer barrel. Arm mounted super shotgun.

Make it single shot with the staircase style mention.

Have a compress at the back that pressed on the bullets. It’d be inaccurate as hell the smaller caliber you get but that’s the downside beside losing an arm and being single shot.

I can see a way that this could be plausible… but it would take an advanced type of adaptive material that could be shifted from solid to liquid/semisolid, perhaps by a current passed through it, which would explain why it is a bionic and not a gun.
Also, you lose your arm.

[quote=“Slax, post:6, topic:6121”]With all due respect, fuck that.
Fun > Reality

We’ve got mutations. Don’t see a whole lot of realism there.[/quote]

Damn it slax, just shoot down my dreams of being a Mi Go before they even begin.