Oh, NPC!

season 1 isn't quite finished being written yet, but I'd watch it.

I wonder who would be npc sitcom enemy

If the show is anything like the game, I’d expect it would be the viewers. Most plot devices would revolve around threatening you through your screen, and having the actors teleport into your house to kick your ass while you’re making noodles or whatever.

Found a horde with like 50 Zds all nicely packed
Started pulping with my death mobile
Sooo much fun
After all was over I realized that my friend had fallen out of the car
Sad

Unlike the majority of the forum I like my NPC. A crafting buddy, a battle buddy, and a teaching buddy.

Once I was working on looting a city, having grabbed a office chair as a impromptu lootcart. My NPC buddy started complaining about being tired, so I went back to the car and told her to take a nap. Expecting her to get in the car to sleep like she had many times before.

Instead she hops in the chair I’m dragging and goes to sleep there. Oh NPC! laughtrack

Baffles me how many non-annoying and rather cute anecdotes people have about NPC’s. All I had was a non-liability tailor named Urist, who I kept for his dorfy name more than anything.
And the most recent one I had was more of an animal crossing type situation than an interaction between two survivors.
Namey Macbeth ran over from half a field in front of me, yelling, “Keep your distance!” while waving his two-by-four at my deathmobile. Surprisingly, the impact with a spike-plated frame didn’t kill him; he hung on and whacked my windshield before a turret shotgunned him off.

I find the battle and teaching aspects of NPCs op, so I try not to overuse them. tbh.

I like the idea of making a township with NPCs. Making a farm, setting up defenses, and building homes. Even making them minions in crafting.

Buuuut, we arent there yet. Did you know that npc CANNOT starve to death? even with Needs on, they cannot starve to death.

[quote=“pisskop, post:26, topic:13044”]I find the battle and teaching aspects of NPCs op, so I try not to overuse them. tbh.

I like the idea of making a township with NPCs. Making a farm, setting up defenses, and building homes. Even making them minions in crafting.

Buuuut, we arent there yet. Did you know that npc CANNOT starve to death? even with Needs on, they cannot starve to death.[/quote]

I want to nerf NPC learning someday. They should work like books, not like Matrix learning.

The starvation for NPCs is disabled because NPCs left to their own devices are too dumb to pick up food. When they learn to pick up food only when hungry (or eat from floors) and properly select said food, they will probably start starving.

And with the traits Psychopath and Cannibal emergency food supply.

I do agree wholeheartedly with that. Definately should not be instant learning, but should probably be faster than a book, a fellow survivor would be skipping straight to the practical stuff after all.

Would be cool if learning could be split up into sessions. with lv 1 or 2 being able to be learned in 1 session each, but beyond that each teaching session starts giving enough learning for half a level per session and less as the level gets higher and higher.

And yea in combat the NPCs are a bit op. Why I limit myself to one and limit them to melee weapons or spears.

That also made me reconsider NPCs. Made me ragequit pretty hard.

[quote="Greiger, post:29, topic:13044"][quote="Coolthulhu, post:27, topic:13044"]I want to nerf NPC learning someday. They should work like books, not like Matrix learning.[/quote] I do agree wholeheartedly with that. Definately should not be instant learning, but should probably be faster than a book, a fellow survivor would be skipping straight to the practical stuff after all.

Would be cool if learning could be split up into sessions. with lv 1 or 2 being able to be learned in 1 session each, but beyond that each teaching session starts giving enough learning for half a level per session and less as the level gets higher and higher.[/quote]

And yea in combat the NPCs are a bit op. Why I limit myself to one and limit them to melee weapons or spears.

For me playing as a frail bionic patient with 50% health than usual, I think NPC’s that are good at melee combat are crucial.

I don’t think I would’ve survived the hospital if it weren’t for the starting NPC with his knife spear.

That’s NPCs for you.

Only random NPCs do that and only on spawn. Static ones are more sane.

Static NPCs dont recognize a deadly horde inbound, or a gas hazard or fire hazard before they are engulfed in it.

Neither do the random ones. But static ones don’t teleport into buildings while you’re not moving.

Yo dudes, so since were all here about NPCs, i need some halp.

So i got this dudes dog, and now what? He’s my buddy, and he’s just sitting here, as i have his dog right here. The usual “About that job…” option isn’t there, and he never mentions it when i talk to him.

I just wanna return this guy’s poochie. ‘n’

[quote=“linkfanpc, post:32, topic:13044”]That’s NPCs for you.

[/quote]

Please tell me you photoshopp’d that, hahaha.

[quote=“Hypereia, post:37, topic:13044”][quote=“linkfanpc, post:32, topic:13044”]That’s NPCs for you.

[/quote]

Please tell me you photoshopp’d that, hahaha.[/quote]

Nope, sadly. I think they should MAYBE fix the dialogue bugs soon.

[quote=“linkfanpc, post:38, topic:13044”][quote=“Hypereia, post:37, topic:13044”][quote=“linkfanpc, post:32, topic:13044”]That’s NPCs for you.

[/quote]

Please tell me you photoshopp’d that, hahaha.[/quote]

Nope, sadly. I think they should MAYBE fix the dialogue bugs soon.[/quote]

They totally shouldn’t change that, it’s one of the most hilarious things I’ve seen. Reminds me of a random NPC I ran into…

Can’t remember his name, but he was standing outside the gated parking lot of a police station and he warned me to GO AWAY because it was HIS TERRITORY.

Strewn around him were countless pieces of body parts, and corpses, a lot of corpses.

Okay guy, you just do your thing! (He clearly wasn’t to be messed with, and I later found out why)

Circled back around town, and after I was finally armed I somehow managed to convince him to join me, and that’s when I saw he had like 7 levels in cutting weps and dodging. No wonder nothing was able to lay a finger on him.

I could easily see the aforementioned NPC using such charming words to express himself. :wink:

It’s not a bug per se, just a result of recursive cursing.

NPC speech tags allow nested speech tags, which in turn can have more nested speech tags and so on. The tag has “ ” as one of the options, meaning it can chain like that.
The only thing preventing infinite “mafuckin’” is RNG.