I was reading the issues on github and issue #33606 at https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/33606 seems like a cool thing to implement.
So I wanted to locate the file that is responsible for the reality bubble, i.e. the camera and grepping through the files and could not locate what I was looking for. As I am yet still unfamiliar with a vast majority of the file structure can anyone tell me what the exact mechanic is that works on this.
Also thinking on this what is the exact chain of events that needs to occur to perform this action.
Source of information:
- Zombies will not die directly unless >40psi is observed, greater pressure for evolved zombies.
- 5psi destroys most buildings
- heavy damage up to 3psi
- 1megaton bomb has a 1psi front up to 10miles from center if bomb detonates above the ground due to mach stem effect
- thermal energy is immediate for all due purposes or lasting up to 10 secs
- 1 minute after detonation of a 1megaton bomb it no longer has radiant heat
- Collapsed structures have a greatly increased chance to ignite
- a firestorm can occur at the location if there is greater than 8lbs of combustibles per sq ft and wind is less than 8mph
- a 1megaton bomb can cause flash burns to exposed skin up to 7miles away -> something like albino effects for everyone given distance from scene
- can cause flash blindness up to 13miles on a clear day or 53 miles on a clear night
- radiation is questionable -> can last only minutes or months/years depending on make up of the bomb.
- fallout is the dangerous part and suffers from the same limitation as 11
- EMP effects should occur to vehicles surround blast zone -> radius should be a function of bombs height -> should destroy any working controls in vehicles to simulate effect + possible other damage.
With all the above taken into account the next big thing is loading the reality bubble on the zones to be effected and then modifying them accordingly.
The chain of events is something I am not clear on.
In my mind it should go something like
- unload character
- move camera
- detonate bomb
- deform environment + buildings + vehicles given above effects
- update everything
- unload camera
- reload player
Now if the player is within the radius of the effects the player will not be unloaded but kept within to be effected.
I would like to know if this would be something interesting to add for anyone besides me because this sounds like a crazy “clear this entire zone of a wander spawn” option or like in the linked post an option to take out a bandit 100+ overmap tiles away.
I think that the adding an ability to unload and move the camera around however one likes would add the ability to create real artillery as well. This would allow for more complex weapon systems to be implemented both in the base game and by mods.
If this sounds like a cool idea let me know as I am reading though the game files to become more familiar with them before I start monkeying around with them.
EDIT: Moved to The Lab as I had it in the wrong category.