NPCs curse too much

It makes them look like children trying to be cool. Though that might be fitting considering their self-preservation skills at the moment.

Ideally we will have a system that gives personalities to NPCs and then assigns them somewhat related professions.

Aww yeah.

My advice is to do the opposite during NPC creation: Choose a profession and create an NPC around it.
By starting NPC creation with (weighted) randomly chosen profession we can make high-tier professions like pharmacists and surgeons rarer (and thus more valuable).
And if professions are applied at the end of NPC creation we might end up with weird combinations of personalities and professions.

This would be cool.

I’d also like an option that filters profanity if toggled. I know that some poeple (myself one of them) don’t particularly want to hear cursing out of the mouth of every single NPC (regardless of how much it may be justified).

Motherfucking fucker! Don’t know if it’s still in but the original Cataclysm had an endlessly growings string of curses for when you failed persuasion over and over. That was fun.

First time I met a NPC: Fuck! This fucking hurts, motherfucker! Fucking help me, asshole!

Second time I met a NPC: Stop right there, motherfucker.

Third time I met a NPC: Silence Silence Gunshots

a profanity toggle would be VERY desirable.
additionally, please refrain from swearing on the forums, the very reason that this post exists is because some (many) people find swearing offensive, crude, and immature. (I know plenty of adults swear, but when they do it is immature)

[quote=“Cat09, post:8, topic:5801”]a profanity toggle would be VERY desirable.
additionally, please refrain from swearing on the forums, the very reason that this post exists is because some (many) people find swearing offensive, crude, and immature. (I know plenty of adults swear, but when they do it is immature)[/quote]

Harsh language is communication, and has its place. It usually denotes “significant emphasis, likely with emotional charge” in my experience. NPC-style bleepspam may send “immature” due to the sheer volume. A well-timed “Back the fuck off, right now” can get people who don’t acknowledge one’s boundaries (or in extreme cases, one’s humanity) to stop impinging on one’s space, body, etc.

(That sort of thing happens depressingly often in the disability community.)

Though I agree that NPCs may overuse harsh language, and I got a de-slur PR merged (so I’ve removed some of the excessively harsh language from the game), I think harsh language in general has its place in the game, and on the forums. Everything in moderation.

Just wait until you stand in front of an NPC that’s trying to get by but can’t path around you:
“Hey friend, could you step out of the way for a second?”
“Excuse me, I’m trying to get by.”
“Move it asshole!”
“Say buddy, mind if I squeeze by?”
“Outa the way fucker!”
“If you don’t move out of my way I’ll move you myself, shit for brains.”
“Could you step aside for a moment please?”
“Hey pal you’re blocking traffic here.”
“Move your ass dipshit!”
“Excuse me sir, I’m trying to get past.”

And I thought my sister had mood swings when she was on her period.

That falls under the “random line generator overuses harsh language” issue, which I already agreed was valid.

I looked into this the first time it was requested, nearly a year ago, and it looked like a total mess to try and fix, so it went into my “don’t care enough to spend a lot of time on it” pile. I’m not opposed to having a toggle, but I’m also not spending a ton of time trying to fix a NPC issue, especially since the plan is to reimplement them from scratch.

I do agree that it is realistic that NPCs would curse, although I still want a toggle (eventually).
however, I disagree that it is a more effective form of communication: when you account for tone and VOLUME, you can get
Back off, NOW!
if that is said in an enraged, either hot or icy tone, it would be just as, perhaps more effective

that’s all academic as far as the game goes though, since the game plans are the same (I may have to just remove the NPC spawn in the meantime though.

Ahem, this is the internet. There are no tones. Your point is invalid.

They say that love is the universal language, but a gun pointed in one’s face gets the point across in any culture.

They say that death is a universal fear, but they say this while skydiving without any idea of what a parachute is.