Non-Mobile Applications of Vehicles

To appease my inner interior decorator! Anywho, I should get to work on making my solar “house”

It’d be pretty scary to have an automated flamethrower around your base, but maybe if you put it well away from anything flammable.

You can start car construction, (Need only one steel frame) attach a vehicle controls and a headlight, point it in the direction and BAM insta light.

How do you point it without wheels? :wink:

As has been pointed out, vehicles losing control is intended, not a bug, but we might want to do something to manage it somewhat, for example by adding a command to brick the accelerator and tie the steering wheel to let it continue in a stright line. Actually if you have some really slow crawler type vehicle this might be useful.

In the meanwhile you can possibly install some controls next to your kitchen and drive from there, I’m not sure if it’ll let you craft, I think no…

In the experimental version someone added the ability to aim headlights when you install them, and I updated it to make it settable to an arbitrary direction (I hate trig).

You can point headlights in the direction that you want them to go in now.

The solar kitchen is an amazing idea. I am totally stealing it for my games.

I have taken over a Garage and installed vehicle “Floodlights” in the corners for constant illumination. Basically, I back a segway type vehicle into a corner and have it light up the rooms.

Now we only need to rediscover natural gas lighting; propane tanks, house exterior lanterns, and the mines already in game to do it properly.
The first thing really could be to code stoves that use liquid gas. I haven’t played with it really, but small generators working on an endless source of fuel could end up with gasification, and therefore electrification in CataDDA. Methane-running cars are just proprietary, though, but since gas stations dry out and we don’t actually mine plutonium ore on Earth to the extent of newly implied needs, the effect could be total.
Whatcha think?

Or make ovens fireproof, if someone hasn’t done that already.

[quote=“Otaku, post:2, topic:2178”]My solution, if I can get far enough, would just be a square.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|__________|

Designate the top right to vehicle controls and guns.
Top left is my kitchen with all it’s food.
Bottom right for mechanics and construction materials.
Bottom left for electronics, drugs, etc.
Center area for everything left.

On the outside there is a line of solar panels lining the walls. The front is reinforced with an extra layer of steel. Wheels are located at the corners of the box. I just live in this while it drags along slowly across the country side. This entire thing is powered with whatever electric engine(s) I can find. So dragging all this weight often times is very slows.[/quote]

Can we get this thing up in the Wiki as a ‘build your mobile base guide’ or something?

Also, how many parts does this take?

Wheels/controls/footpedals wouldn’t even be necessary anymore. You can just drag them like shopping carts. Just build a frame and stick a turret on top and there’s your mobile turret.

We don’t mine plutonium at all. It’s a man made element.

Alright, here’s a question that needs answering: do vehicle mounted turrets require ammo, or do they somehow replicate their own?

Have you ever tried Examining those little gray cupboards next to refrigerators? Yeah, it took me a few games before I noticed, but once you do, pots and frying pans are everywhere. Probably half the houses have them.

Have you ever tried Examining those little gray cupboards next to refrigerators? Yeah, it took me a few games before I noticed, but once you do, pots and frying pans are everywhere. Probably half the houses have them.[/quote]
Dude, the’re called ovens.

I said that right, right? Or it might be left… I mean wrong.

this thread has opened my mind and fried every neuron in my brain

We don’t mine plutonium at all. It’s a man made element.

Alright, here’s a question that needs answering: do vehicle mounted turrets require ammo, or do they somehow replicate their own?[/quote]
They still use up ammo. I found it out the hard way back in 0.6 thanks to a bear, and a front door that I thought was covered by two ammo-less vehicle-mounted turrets.

On the plus side, at least the turrets mounted on vehicles can’t disappear. >.>

Here’s a thought. You can make a lamp with vehicle modding. Single-tile: Frame - Headlight. Stick it in your permanent base. You can easily drag it around too.

That’s already been mentioned. It’s how people create strips of flood lights to illuminate their bases at night.

I’m right now conceptualizing some sort of solar-powered repair bay for vehicles, since I discovered there is a vehicle welding rig that runs off of a storage battery. The possibilities!

So where do you guys set up your bases? I set up temporary safehouses in garages, but those are just a temporary fix. They are not big enough to house mobile bases like the Defiant. I’m right now scouting out a good location for a large-scale fortress. It needs to be near the river for easy access to water, now that toilets no longer spawn infinite water, enough dirt to set up farmland, and enough open space for me to create a custom base from scratch. I will find this place, and it will be called…

OUTER HEAVEN

This is actually a pretty cool idea. Maybe you could put a kitchen unit on casters and pretend it’s a barbeque…

Eventually, screw some casters onto a fridge and go on a wild ride downtown; close your eyes and pretend it’s a big red skateboard.