No sound?

Hi, can someone help me get the sound working, im running the latest experimental build with volume both set at 100 but I still can’t hear any sound effects or music?

Can you hear a sound in the main menu when you select a different element?

The soundpack structure recently changed. If you used a custom soundpack, you will need to up either adapt to the new structure or download the new adapted distribution file from the soundpack author.

See http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=11771.0

Where would one get a soundpack?
I also have been trying to figure out for ages how to get anything but the clicks in the main menu.

Yeah how does one of about getting a sound pack. I have the menu sounds but that’s about it

You can still use the older link and just extract his stuff inside …/CDDA/data/sound/Basic

Old link : (It’s not from me, found it in a post)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/x4290571p6dmsf9/extract2catafolder.zip

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=10390.120

there is maybe other stuff working around, don’t really know.

My post in the ambient sound thread will walk you through converting a soundpack in the old style to the new format: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=10390.msg260055#msg260055

[quote=“scorpion451, post:3, topic:11051”]Where would one get a soundpack?
I also have been trying to figure out for ages how to get anything but the clicks in the main menu.[/quote]

Check the documentation on soundpacks for more details: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/doc/SOUNDPACKS.md

THANK YOU! THIS IS AWESOME

So, I’ve discovered why I had no sound (I’m running 0.C-4011) even after following the guidelines about the new soundpack format. On a Windows 7 system at least every reference to a file in the soundset.json needs to start with a ./ for the current directory to actually function. Once I modified all 489+ instances everything worked, be aware though that some of the sounds have more than one file so a simple find and replace will only get the 489. I found the replace function in Notepad++ worked pretty well when I copied replaced
",

with
”,
"./

[quote=“lastpick, post:9, topic:11051”]So, I’ve discovered why I had no sound even after following the guidelines about the new soundpack format. On a Windows systems at least every reference to a file in the soundset.json needs to start with a ./ for the current directory to actually function. Once I modified all 489+ instances everything worked, be aware though that some of the sounds have more than one file so a simple find and replace will only get the 489. I found the replace function in Notepad++ worked pretty well when I copied replaced
",

with
”,
"./[/quote]

I’m glad you got it working, but I think this solution might be more specific than simply ‘a windows system’…
o.0 I’m on windows 7, running the experimental 4008 with Midaychi’s extract2catafolder.zip (installed in a subdirectory of my sound directory with a soundpack.txt added to conform to the new soundpack setup). I just checked and my soundset.json does not have ./ anywhere that I can see. Sound works just fine, I’m listening to the creepy croonings right now.

This is what the first entry looks like:
[
{
“type”: “sound_effect”,
“id” : “fire_gun”,
“volume” : 90,
“variant” : “bio_laser_gun”,
“files” : [
“guns/energy_generic/weapon_fire_laser.ogg”
]
},
{

Well that is odd. I can’t really speculate why relative paths on my Win 7 system required the ./ and on yours it doesn’t.

Okay I may have the answer to this interesting problem. Are you launching Cataclysm through a shortcut? If so what is your working directory set to? I’m not using a shortcut, I just run the executable and that directly affects how relative paths function on Windows based systems.

I’m running the executable directly as well. It’s on my usb drive (E:). The path is E:\Cataclysm\cataclysm-0.c-4008\cataclysm-tiles.exe. I wonder what’s going on with your system.

This might need more investigation. If you can find a way to replicate the issue easily, please create an issue on Sign in to GitHub · GitHub and we’ll try to resolve it.

[quote=“rremyroy, post:7, topic:11051”][quote=“scorpion451, post:3, topic:11051”]Where would one get a soundpack?
I also have been trying to figure out for ages how to get anything but the clicks in the main menu.[/quote]

Check the documentation on soundpacks for more details: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/blob/master/doc/SOUNDPACKS.md[/quote]

I looked at that, but the closest it gets to useful information about installation is in a tiny paragraph sandwiched between a lot of information relevant only to people creating soundpacks, mentioning where to put soundpacks …apparently after the magical soundpack gnomes deliver them and rewrite them to work in the new system and on windows. : /

There are some pretty vital steps being left out there, which it seems can currently only be found scattered between several threads here in the forums: where to obtain soundpacks to begin with, how to convert an old style soundpack to a new style soundpack, that there are old soundpacks that require manual conversion, how to get them to work (sometimes) on windows…

Just saying, would be really nice if the documentation would document that stuff.

After I update this evening from Tuesday’s build #4008 to whatever we’re on by then, I’ll see if lastpick’s fix works for me. (I always launch directly from the exe, if that should end up mattering)

Well not quite a smoking gun, however I did notice something interesting when I was doing some testing around the suggestion I made earlier about relative paths. Below is an excerpt from my debug.log, what stood out to me was that the log indicates that relative paths are being addressed in different ways within the application. I also concluded that the working directory being set via a shortcut based launch does positively affect the outcome such that relative paths do work without requiring a “./” prefix. I also was able to discover oddly enough that using identical formatting when referencing the basic menu click sound within the included Basic soundset.json file that if the file was in the root of the soundpack directory it would work whereas if it was referenced lower in the hierarchy say menu/nenadsimic_menu_selection_click.wav it would fail from a non-shortcut initiated application launch. Lastly, in all cases prefixing the referenced path with a “./” worked for me.

[code]0:0:39.431 INFO : Loaded scenario: wilderness
0:0:39.592 WARNING : opendir [./save//Shoreacres/mods] failed with “No such file or directory”.
0:1:47.327 : Log shutdown.

0:12:26.248 : Starting log.
0:12:29.21 INFO : mod_ui initialized
0:12:29.735 : Could neither read nor create ./config/auto_pickup.txt
0:12:29.744 SDL : src/sdltiles.cpp:2017: Failed to load audio file data/sound/Basic/Dark_Days_Ahead_demo_2.wav: Couldn’t open 'data/sound/Basic/Dark_Days_Ahead_demo_2.wav’
0:13:2.271 : Log shutdown.[/code]

DDAsoundpack [ { "type": "sound_effect", "id" : "menu_move", "volume" : 100, "files" : [ "nenadsimic_menu_selection_click.wav" ] },

Basic [ { "type": "sound_effect", "id" : "menu_move", "volume" : 100, "files" : [ "menu/nenadsimic_menu_selection_click.wav" ] },

Working [ { "type": "sound_effect", "id" : "menu_move", "volume" : 100, "files" : [ "./menu/nenadsimic_menu_selection_click.wav" ] },

Feel free to create a pull request to update the documentation. I can also create the pull request if you provide me with the updated documentation.