No more ammo indicators on loaded guns

I suggest that when a gun is loaded you are not able to tell how many rounds are in it. The only exception should be a magazine with a window so you can see the bullets. Why else would you know how many bullets are in a loaded gun. You can memorize irl or do a health-bar style indicator based off of reducing weight from firing bullets, only with high marksmanship of course.
Thats a pretty simple idea and it could be a mod if not everybody liked it. My intention isn’t to make the game harder for noobs but to add realism. After all you cannot even see far away, yet still in sight radius, items let alone their stack number. And I like that, just to be clear.
Throw out any additional ideas if you have any.

I agree that just picking up a gun you wouldn’t know how many rounds are in the magazine, but hitting “r” to reload would let you know right away. Firing on full auto would then remove the number of rounds shown because it’d fire so fast you couldn’t keep count.

One completely reasonable scenario is your’re in the middle of a brief firefight, but get called away IRL, you save and exit. When you come back, it’s completely reasonable for your character to know how many rounds they have left, but it isn’t reasonable for the player to have to remember.
I could see implementing hunteralpha’s variant, but that starts getting a little complicated, so it isn’t likely to happen soon.

Or have a gun mod that tells you how many bullets are left…

I’m confident that Rivtech firearms would have a digital ammo readout. (OK, maybe not the revolver.) If someone else were to make Future Guns they could realistically have ammo-counting built in, too.

One of the many advantages to making new guns rather than replicating Call of Duty! :wink:

I like the idea that some guns count the rounds left for you.

Let’s comply Ja 2 and give the player a vague feeling of the guns ammo left.
Marksmanship skill lets you get a better feel as you used feeling how much the ammo weights and keeping count.

Bigger magazine need more skill as does using auto fire, keeping the count is easier with guns that show you the ammo left, I.G. mags with view slots,Mg belts and ammunition counter displays.

Replacing your ammo count is:
Full count, in numbers, ether you haven’t fired the gun or it counts for you.
Full count, in numbers followed with a ? as your counting in your head.
H?= You think the magazine is more than 2/3 full.
M?= You think the magazine is between 1/3 and 2/3 full.
L?= You think the magazine has less than 1/3 bullets left.
We can have more levels to the count but lets keep it going green to red.

The JA2 system in full.

[quote=“Funk, post:6, topic:6213”]I like the idea that some guns count the rounds left for you.

Let’s comply Ja 2 and give the player a vague feeling of the guns ammo left.
Marksmanship skill lets you get a better feel as you used feeling how much the ammo weights and keeping count.

Bigger magazine need more skill as does using auto fire, keeping the count is easier with guns that show you the ammo left, I.G. mags with view slots,Mg belts and ammunition counter displays.

Replacing your ammo count is:
Full count, in numbers, ether you haven’t fired the gun or it counts for you.
Full count, in numbers followed with a ? as your counting in your head.
H?= You think the magazine is more than 2/3 full.
M?= You think the magazine is between 1/3 and 2/3 full.
L?= You think the magazine has less than 1/3 bullets left.
We can have more levels to the count but lets keep it going green to red.

The JA2 system in full.[/quote]

This works especially if we add a button/button combo that allows checking of ammo. Is capital R taken up by anything? If so, maybe add a prompt when reloading to check current ammunition for 3-5 turns?

Possibly make Self-Aware give this ?H,?M,?L count a ton more accuracy, and Forgetful remove it at all.

Cap R is for reading, but I’m sure we can replace that and just activate the book in our inventory.