More realistic gun loading

Cata’s current firearm loading mechanics are somewhat inaccurate. It would be a Very Bad Idea to only carry 1 loaded magazine and spend half a minute reloading it when there are zombies trying to eat you. I propose that magazines should be a separate item that you can load independently from a gun then [a]pply to an appropriate firearm. They would spawn in gun stores, bunkers, armory basements etc and could be dropped by any zombie that currently drops firearms. This would allow ranged fighters to prepare better for protracted battles. Clips for weapons with an internal magazine could be a thing too.

I agree, the whole “wait a minute while I reload the one single magazine I carry when I could, I dunno, carry several magazines and then just swap them out” thing has really annoyed me for a long time. This has been suggested in the past, but maybe now with new coding breakthroughs it’ll be possible.

I HAVE WANTED THIS FOR A LONG TIME

THERE ARE LIKE NO GAMES THAT LET YOU LOAD INDIVIDUAL MAGAZINES

Isn’t this covered by the “spare cartridge” mod or am I terribly mistaken?

Terribly mistaken.

[URL=http://gifsoup.com/view/4780215/elias-death-platoon.html][/URL] [URL=http://gifsoup.com]GIFSoup[/URL]

[quote=“bahihs, post:4, topic:7687”]Isn’t this covered by the “spare cartridge” mod or am I terribly mistaken?[/quote]In a manner of speaking yes, the Spare Magazine mod effectively does this, but it’s a mod, so you can’t load it separate from the weapon.

The idea would be that you load a bunch of magazines and carry them in your inventory, then when you press 'r’eload you automatically load a fresh mag.

Last I knew the spare-mag mod was pretty much this in a manner that was workable for both coders and players. Having generi-mags in main inventory would make it tough to tell what to load in 'em and which guns they’re OK to reload, though.

Last I knew the spare-mag mod was pretty much this in a manner that was workable for both coders and players. Having generi-mags in main inventory would make it tough to tell what to load in 'em and which guns they’re OK to reload, though.[/quote]Yeah, so for example M1911s would use 1911 mags, Glock 17s would use Glock 17 mags(and perhaps with some interchangability among Glocks), and certain types of revolvers would be able to use speedloaders, in which case it would be based upon the caliber and cylinder size(a 5 shot revolver wouldn’t take a 6 shot speedloader).

So now the issue would be that specific magazines would be rare and you now WANT to find duplicate weapons to steal the magazines from.

[quote=“Raskulle, post:10, topic:7687”]So now the issue would be that specific magazines would be rare and you now WANT to find duplicate weapons to steal the magazines from.[/quote]Yep! Most guns would have at least one, but more likely 2-3. I personally carry two spare mags for my Springfield XD45. So when the zombie apocalypse happens, and if you happen to be looting in S/E Virginia, and you find a fat zombie corpse with a Springfield XD45 with 2 spare mags, you’ll know it’s me :slight_smile:

I’d even be all right with generic magazines for weapon types. Generic pistol, smg, and rifle mags. Might be an easier way to go. But I’d love to see magazines for specific firearms.

Something thats important to note is that several guns can use magazines from other guns (the rpk comes to mind)

Wanted to do this for a long time now, just hasn’t bubbled to the top of the priority list.
My intentions are to have magazines be distinct items (obsoleting the magazine gun mods) that you can interact with directly, with a ‘smart’ reload operation that tries to do the obvious next step for typical uses.
The magazines would default to being paired with a specific type of gun, and require special handling to be usable with multiple different guns.
A side note is the default reload command would fully refil one magazine, and there would be a second command that would load just one round.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:14, topic:7687”]Wanted to do this for a long time now, just hasn’t bubbled to the top of the priority list.
My intentions are to have magazines be distinct items (obsoleting the magazine gun mods) that you can interact with directly, with a ‘smart’ reload operation that tries to do the obvious next step for typical uses.
The magazines would default to being paired with a specific type of gun, and require special handling to be usable with multiple different guns.
A side note is the default reload command would fully refil one magazine, and there would be a second command that would load just one round.[/quote]With, of course, interrupts for taking damage and hostiles spotted, right?

Yes, it’d be an interruptible action.

Just a suggestion, but have reload speed tied to gun skill. A guy with a ten in rifles is probably gonna be able to reload a little faster than the guy who’s never picked up a rifle before.

Moved other games derail to other games subforum, what a concept.

BTW, reaload speed is already affected by skills, and has been for a loong time. It’d be nice if you checked if we already have a feature before repeatedly asking for it.

ay Kevin, after 0.B stable is released any idea what the next big coding project is going to be? I was checking out that aiming system you were working on and it looks like the tits. Think that’ll be in by 0.C?