New zombie types? (Wishful thinking)

This has probably been suggested over 9000 times but here’s a few suggestions for new zombies that add more immersion and more challenge.

Crawler zombie: This zombie’s legs have lost all function. It drags itself along the ground slowly.

Slower than other zombies but can perhaps grab a character and hold them in place for a few turns? I imagine crossing counters and other obstacles would take an obscene amount of movement points for this zombie. It would likely strike when a character is distracted and perhaps screw them over by restricting movement and allowing other zombies to pounce onto them. Perhaps severely damaged zombie corpses would come back as crawler zombies if not butchered?

Sprinter Zombie: This spindly looking zombie occasionally spasms violently, blood oozing from it’s eyes and nostrils.

Very fast, almost on par with zombie dogs but also very fragile. I’d imagine these zombies were crack and meth fiends during life.

Zombie Patient: A formerly sick patient now among the ranks of the undead, it’s body is riddled with disease.

Wears merely a patient gown, and can cause a character to catch an illness if not careful. Flu, cold, stuff like that.

Ambusher Zombie: This zombie lays upon the ground, dormant until potential prey draws near.

Appears as a regular human corpse with loot, leaps forward and scores a cheap first hit most likely if a character approaches without detecting the ruse.

Zombie Bear: Run! Run away!

Why not? (Mostly a joke you guys)

Also sorry about the suggestion spam… >m>;

Just really like this game, and I’m really enthusiastic about sharing my ideas.

Nice ideas i would like to see some of these implemented. there used to be fast zombies in the older version i dont know why they took them out.

You put yourself down, but these are some good ideas, don’t be surprised if some of these show up.

Particularly the patient zombies, need a special to cluster around hospitals :3

The crawler zombies will be nice once we put in a LOS enhancement I’ve been thinking about, they wouldn’t be visible if behind even the smallest obstacle, which gives them a nice lurking aspect.

I like the concept of the junkie zombies being fast only in bursts instead of being fast all the time.

I’ve been wanting to do dormant zombies for a while, basically plaster them all over the town (along with lots and lots of corpses) and only get up if you get within scent range or make a lot of noise. (or damage them, of course)

I was talking with a cow-orker today about cybernetics for animals, which means bio-labs guarded by cyber-bears, muahahaha

RE: fast zombies. The fast zombies were fast for no good thematic reason, they served a game purpose, but didn’t have an explanation for why they were fast. They got replaced with zombie dogs, which serve the same purpose game wise (skirmishing), but actually make sense. Actually if we’d come up with the meth-head explanation we might have gone with that instead of the dogs, but now I like the dogs, so they’re sticking around.

Squeals quietly into a pillow

Thanks, I didn’t think my ideas were all that great and felt nervous posting this. ^^;

I have posted some of these ideas before.

Slasher: This zombie’s nails have grown to a frightening length, and it lashes out violently with them at every opportunity.

• No real difference in this from a regular zombie besides cutting damage and perhaps slightly higher speed.

Blast Boomer: This zombie bulges visibly and emits small tongues of fire and smoke from its mouth and nose. It looks like it could explode at a moment’s notice.

• This is basically a boomer, but it actually makes an explosion when it goes off. Lower HP, making it easy to pick off with a ranged attack. To destroy it safely, hit it from a distance or knock it away when you bring it down. This zombie also serves as an anti-vehicle measure, since cars are seriously OP in Cataclysm right now.

Distorter: This zombie blinks in and out of existence, sometimes across large distances. It’s hard to keep an eye on it.

• Low HP, but teleports randomly around, and is somewhat hard to hit because of this. It can grab like a Grabber, but when it does, it attempts to teleport you to a random nearby location. Can be dangerous in certain instances.

Leaper: This zombie’s legs are long and powerful-looking, and it appears able to jump great heights and distances.

• This thing can leap, like cougars and jumping spiders, and if flying (with the wings mutation or otherwise) ever becomes a reality in the game, this one will jump into the air and take swipes at you.

I’d thought a bit about this. Since mutations are grouped by types (Beast, Plant, Slime, etc), why not apply the same to zombies?

Say, every city has a randomized mutation range. Special Zombies are then spawned depending on that range.

So if a city has 4 “points” in Beast, 3 in plant, and 2 in Insect; Brutes, Claw Zombies, Bone Horrors and the like would appear more often. Followed by Grabber Zombies, Spore Ghasts, etc. Then the insects would come in via Stinger Zombies and Walking Hives (Think Scorpions and “The Pain” from MGS).

No insults, please. And even if it wasn’t intended as one, it definitely read as one.
-GlyphGryph

[quote=“Clayton, post:7, topic:1835”][quote=“Senrain, post:4, topic:1835”]Squeals quietly into a pillow

Thanks, I didn’t think my ideas were all that great and felt nervous posting this. ^^;[/quote]

No offense or malevolence intended, but are you a 9 year old girl?[/quote]

Er, no. I’m a 18 year old male.

It’s pretty hard to ask something like that and not evoke offense Clayton.

My internet mannerisms may not fit into what you consider to be normal, but everyone has their own way of expressing themselves. I apologize if I am threatening your masculinity, but I will homo-erotically dance upon the clouds or even make a stupid kitty face if I feel like doing so.

:3

Holy bouncing spaghettios batman I did it just now.

[quote=“Blaze, post:6, topic:1835”]I’d thought a bit about this. Since mutations are grouped by types (Beast, Plant, Slime, etc), why not apply the same to zombies?

Say, every city has a randomized mutation range. Special Zombies are then spawned depending on that range.

So if a city has 4 “points” in Beast, 3 in plant, and 2 in Insect; Brutes, Claw Zombies, Bone Horrors and the like would appear more often. Followed by Grabber Zombies, Spore Ghasts, etc. Then the insects would come in via Stinger Zombies and Walking Hives (Think Scorpions and “The Pain” from MGS).[/quote]
This thread is full of sexy ideas, I particularly like this one.

The “ambusher zombies” we want to actually be a normal potential thing for all zombies at some point - so they can just chill in their “corpse” state until the players “wakes them up”.

I really like the idea of having some themed zombie mutations and having groups of zombies, like whole towns, have that theme - that’s pretty cool.

If there’re zombie patients, why not zombie doctors and zombie nurses?
:wink:

BTW, instead of new zombie types, perhaps you can add more random details on the description screen? For example, when you press x to check a zombie:

zombie
It used to be a middle aged man of average size.

wearing:
ripped jeans
tattered T-shirt
wielding:
a hammer

Scanner! What’s the over-reaction level at?

IT’S OVER 9,000!

Please stay on topic, Clayton.

Anyway, yeah, not so sure we need a doctor/nurse zombie types, no mechanics there, but it would be nice to have the normal zeds have various flavours depending on where they are somehow.

Oh god!
[size=10pt]Oh no![/size]
[size=12pt]Oh god no![/size]
[size=14pt]Why?[/size]
[size=18pt]Oh why![/size]
[size=24pt]Oh god why![/size]
[size=36pt]Zombie mutant ninja bears![/size]

I’ve had a few ideas myself (writing a zombie apocalypse book helps)

A flamer zombie

A more advanced type of smoker zombie, or a fire eater from a circus, now spews fire at its targets from its mouth.

Android/cyborg zombie

A zombie with several CBMs installed on its body. The ones that require activation don’t work however the passives still have a little bit of power and flicker on occasionally

Hallucinogenic Zombie

Probably a shroom addict. Spouts hallucinogenic gasses from its body. Causes the player to start hallucinating for a few minutes

Any good?

Isnt the shocker the zombie with CBM’s installed in it? You get some when you butcher them.

I feel the game will fill with monsters with various strange abilities plus a zombie suffix.

Curse you Nighthawk. I was planning on suggesting three of those zombie types you suggested.
Personally, I would suggest calling the clawed zombie a Ripper and zombies capable of wielding weapons Slashers.
Rippers, the clawed zombies could be zeds with hyperactive adrenaline glands. They are more alert and jittery at all times, and this causes them to nervously chew at their own hands and fingers in mindless hunger until the bone shows. Perhaps they mutate to compensate, and their bones regenerate and fuse into horrible stiff claws where their fingers once were. Maybe there could be an advanced version called Lancers that have began on their wrists, leaving exposed jagged forearm bones.

Some ideas of my own:

Einstein: “This zombie looks much more alert than any of the others.” A zombie that reanimated very quickly after death, resulting in considerably less brain cell death due to oxygen deprivation. It retains some more advanced functions it had in life such as the ability to OPEN DOORS and perhaps path around traps. Maybe it sometimes mutters disturbing things under its breath? “Just like lamb chops.” “Kill me!”

Grease Wad: “This zombie is completely soaked in a viscous film of black-green liquid.” A mutated zombie with a growth of symbiotic photosynthesizing slime that has taken root on its skin and in its clothing. It’s rather non-aggressive, having a shorter field of vision and in place of attacking the player directly it would slime him. However, they walk to flames like moth, with a suicidal purpose and that slime they are coated in is highly flammable. When ablaze, they start throwing up black smoke and sprint full speed at the player, trailing burning globs of oil everywhere.

Ooze: “This zombie’s flesh has decomposed to a oily translucent pink jelly with the skeleton and veins visible underneath yet it somehow remains fully animate.” Thanks to powerful mutagens, this zombie is reduced to a smelly jello of what was once skin and muscle mass. It is weaker and slower than normal but slimes the player much like a boomer, subjecting them to risk of disease. Furthermore, it is nearly immune to cutting damage- blades and bullets glide right through, hardly leaving a mark. However it can easily be splattered everywhere with concussive force- explosives and bashing.

Dryad/Druid/Plant/Veggie: A zombie with a variant of the bark/leaves mutations. It’s covered in floral growth and either A) Drugs you heavily with narcotic pollen if you come close enough or kill it or B) Implants roots into you on a successful strike, draining moisture and increasing your Thirst rapidly. Likely fire resistant.

Inductor: Another CBM variant. This one generates a strong electromagnetic field with its malfunctioning implants. If you are holding a metal item if you get too close, you receive pain and have a chance to drop it. If you are wearing metal armour, you receive pain that might intensify to damage, and covered bodyparts rapidly build up heat. If you happen to have CBMs installed this effect is even deadlier, randomly turning them on and off while dishing out mild damage and plenty of pain. On the plus side if you don’t have many active or expensive CBMs you might come out with a net gain in battery juice.

Juggernaut: A brute in power armor? Just a particularly huge brute? Whatever it is, it walks with a purposeful stride instead of a zombie gait, a regular 100 speed (longer leg span allows its ordinary walking stride to keep up with running survivors) and counts as a vehicle for the purposes of collisions: Knocking aside cars, trampling smashables, destroying trees and walls with only marginal delay and causing terror in the player. Perhaps it should slap around the player by causing knockback with each hit?

Shepard/Ringleader: A zombie capable of discharging pheromones much like the craftable item. Regular zombies flock around this one and when it becomes hostile it releases pheromones that make every plain zed around it become slightly more alert and lively, boosting their speed and aggression.

Motorhead: A zombie that still retains a strong urge from its last living moments: the urge to get a car and drive away. It will randomly enter cars and push gas and maybe steer randomly until it smashes into something. It will only be actively hostile to a player who is in a car seat as if they’re a zombie breaking into its vehicle.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:13, topic:1835”]Please stay on topic, Clayton.

Anyway, yeah, not so sure we need a doctor/nurse zombie types, no mechanics there, but it would be nice to have the normal zeds have various flavours depending on where they are somehow.[/quote]

nurse zombie in silent hill is cool and hooooot…:smiley:

[quote=“newisle, post:19, topic:1835”][quote=“GlyphGryph, post:13, topic:1835”]Please stay on topic, Clayton.

Anyway, yeah, not so sure we need a doctor/nurse zombie types, no mechanics there, but it would be nice to have the normal zeds have various flavours depending on where they are somehow.[/quote]

nurse zombie in silent hill is cool and hooooot…:D[/quote]

Provided you like to look at female bodies, I guess. Seems like a way to discourage women. Oppose.