New weapon descriptions

I noticed that some weapons’ descriptions are strangely written (eg L2037) or lacking detail (several melee weapons). I think it’s important to have detailed and accurate descriptions to make it easier to visualize the game. I made a new branch and started to improve some descriptions (currently only the RM42 and combat knife). Are there guidelines for writing item descriptions? What should be avoided?

What, exactly, is the problem with the L2037’s description?

It seems strange that it explains how the L2037 fires the same ammunition as the L523 series and that .223 is nearly the same as 5.56x45mm.

There’s nothing wrong with it…

Most revolvers don’t load rifle rounds, and I’m one of the folks who has trouble keeping the various 7.62 ammo straight. Therefore I don’t expect players to come to DDA knowing that .223 and 5.56 are similar enough to load into the same gun (I know, IRL it’s a little more dangerous than that, pressure and all).

In-world, the L2037 was intended to be used together with the L523 series, and generally “revolver” translates to “six-shooter” so varying from that feels like it warrants an explanation.

If you’ve got a better blurb or something you think should be added, let’s hear it.

Theres a French Revolver (only 1 of this type)that holds 22 rounds. and the WWII British Webley revolver held 7 rounds.

Maybe we could come up with better descriptions for the melee guns though. For me, half of a game’s thing is reading it’s stuff. Weird fetish (?

Things like those could use some love.
More descriptive and awesome! A better mental idea to flush the imagination.

Given how similar the rounds (in game) are I was surprised that they both were featured. Seems needlessly complex to me. Then again the whole firearms and their ammo system seems to be expecting a lot of knowledge about the various naming practices for ammunition from the player. I prefer just to grab every gun and ammo I can find, make 2 piles, pick the gun that has a pleasing volume and let the green text tell me what I can stuff into it. Rinse and repeat if the end result doesn’t look good to me.

“Developed by Leadworks as a companion sidearm to the L523, this massive autorevolver fires the powerful .223 round, but suffers high recoil as a result. It has a 5-chamber cylinder and 6 1/2” weighted barrel to make recoil more manageable."
I imagine that the L2037 looks something like the Crysis majestic.

I was expecting it to be more like “That Gun” from Blade Runner, or rather, the tribute version in Fallout , considering it’s a 5 shot futuristic revolver chambered in .223.

SO THAT’S WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE

MY MENTAL IMAGE IS NOW COMPLETE.

“Developed by Leadworks as a companion sidearm to the L523, this massive autorevolver fires the powerful .223 round, but suffers high recoil as a result. It has a 5-chamber cylinder and 6 1/2” weighted barrel to make recoil more manageable."
I imagine that the L2037 looks something like the Crysis majestic.
[/quote]

Little tweaking–the cylinder is 5-chamber to keep the profile semi-reasonable and skip the barrel measurement, but sure.

And aside from being inspired by the Chiappa Rhino, I’ve never much bothered working out a mental image.

I’ve PR’d the first round of changes.

Nice and short descriptions. Good work.