New repair discussion

So I should be using the item use menu? what is that %?

I like the new sewing menu, not single complaint.

‘%’ is the default binding for it.
You can bind specific item functions in the menu with ‘?’

Well, I discovered it while the vehicle welding rig were bugged and didn’t allowed repairs.
However, if it’s fixed, I’m fine with the repairs system as it is. It helps me train my tailoring at the start of the game

The new repair system seems kind of hard. I mean, I have tailoring 8 and I still get occasional failures (damaged further) while trying to repair my military rucksack. It just makes me super worried that I might lose the rucksack if it goes almost-destroyed no matter how skilled my character is. The system seems also wonky and buggy. “Repair once” doesn’t seem to do anything until you perform it multiple times. I also managed to reinforce an inactive manhack, while I specifically commanded ‘repair, don’t reinforce’… and while doing that, too, I received failures. Mechanics and Fabrication both at 10, whichever is used in repairing manhacks. I can’t even imagine what it’s like in the early game now. Should be… interesting.

DEX and PER both 10… was that the problem then? Are they low enough to cause penalties in tailoring?
Does encumberance on hands, arms or eyes affect tailoring success?
Does lighting level affect it?

It just bugs me that I don’t know. Lack of complete understanding also makes troubleshooting and feedback difficult.

I’m a little conflicted and troubled about these changes, even if they worked perfectly… but I won’t be the first to scream to go back to the old insta-repair.

Getting new stuff to replace lost ones is such a drag, especially if it’s a high-end item :frowning:

But, like, whatever. I can debug myself a ton of rucksacks if “rough life in the Cataclysm” starts to feel like “OK, this isn’t fun or fair anymore”.

What exactly changed with the new repair system?

I noticed that I fail a lot more, is that all that changed or is there more to it? Someone mentioned having a table and chair is that in or was that just a suggestion?

I really like the menu, it’s very handy I only want to know if it’s normal to be failing 500% more often than before. That’s a lot of thread to go through and disassembling rags for thread takes a long time.

[quote=“Rokmonkey, post:26, topic:11181”]What exactly changed with the new repair system?

I noticed that I fail a lot more, is that all that changed or is there more to it? Someone mentioned having a table and chair is that in or was that just a suggestion?

I really like the menu, it’s very handy I only want to know if it’s normal to be failing 500% more often than before. That’s a lot of thread to go through and disassembling rags for thread takes a long time.[/quote]

Ve haf our leetle vays…

Try turning slings into string instead. You can make them with a leather patch or fur pelt and 20 thread, then disassemble them into 3 long strings -> 18 small strings -> 540? thread. in almost no time at all.

[quote=“Malkeus, post:27, topic:11181”]Ve haf our leetle vays…

Try turning slings into string instead. You can make them with a leather patch or fur pelt and 20 thread, then disassemble them into 3 long strings -> 18 small strings -> 540? thread. in almost no time at all.

Hnng. I’m gonna have to d o something about that. >w<

[quote=“Malkeus, post:27, topic:11181”][quote=“Rokmonkey, post:26, topic:11181”]What exactly changed with the new repair system?

I really like the menu, it’s very handy I only want to know if it’s normal to be failing 500% more often than before. That’s a lot of thread to go through and disassembling rags for thread takes a long time.[/quote]

Ve haf our leetle vays…

Your math is a little off.

20 thread. leather. magic -> 1 sling
1 sling + magic -> 3 long sting
3 long string -> 18 short string
18 short string @50 thread a string -> 900 thread
900 thread minus 20 for the initial investment -> 880 thread per sling at a fraction of the time-cost to disassemble a rag.

Im pretty sure that the one takeaway from cataclysm is that skin is actually better at being thread than thread.

@pisskop Lol, just a bit off. Dropped a 0 somewhere. Oh well.
@random_dragon You cruel bastard…ve needs our leetle vays! Especially since I can burn through 100 thread patching a pair of socks now. If you fix the sling, fix the dang rags too. There’s no way it should take an hour to pick apart a rag.

Yes I totally annoyed about how difficult is getting thread, time wise, you can expect all day and is pretty longass endgame item like the long rope. fffff

Why no one think about a tool or machine than deals or reduce the unravel times? Or maybe I missing that tool?

Nope.

Small string takes all of 5 minutes to unravel. Smash wndows and grab the long strings in the early game. Deconstruct them whenever its safe to for 300 thread per long string.

Waaait.
Seatbelts come off as short ropes.
Short ropes disassemble to 6 long strings.
Long strings disassemble to 6 small strings.
Small strings disassemble to 50 thread each.
And seatbelts, my friends, are everywhere.

BeerBeer wins.

Well.

Ill go
-smash my windows
-Decon the long string
-Decon the short string

and you
-level your mechanics up enough to decon seatbelts
-get the hacksaw
-take the seatbelt out to obtain a short rope
-decon the short rope
-decon the long srings
-decon the short stings.

:o

I’ll make a crowbar and smash the seat apart while you go read a book, k?

D:

I wonder why there is no ‘piano wire’ in the game.

Personally I’m more annoyed I can no longer mix sinew, plant fiber, and thread. But that’s a separate issue from this.

It´s not about strings /threads, is about ropes. Long ones. I not meaning they are “uncommon” I mean the time you consume for get one where there is almost an tool for everything, but strangely not for this.

Is more common you get rags, them for make them more useful you need turn them into threads. >>> 1 hour x100 thread.

Or just left the rags complete and use 30 to make a short rope 90 minutes, you need 5, 450 min for a long rope, them you need 4 long ropes = 1800 minutes.

For what? cargo carriers, And yeah I not counting about getting the tools for dissemble cars an obviously the time you need to rest /eat / drink / safety you need to care in all those 1.800 min that will extend the time to and uncertain minutes or hours or days just for get one long rope.

Again, I not complaining about the lack of threads, is just complaining about time. And there is no tool to speed up the process. Unless there is black magicks / brain cancer / alcohol that obscure my vision in the wiki / item browser.

meh.

30minutes and you have 300 thread from long strings.

The whole system is a bt out of wack wrt realism. a single repair attempt uses almost no thread, it takes 30 seconds (or did), and Im sure theres a case to be made that 50 thread = 1 6’’ string and 6 6’’ string making 1 3’ string is a bit magical. Your welding the strings together end to end or something?

I approve of the tailoring skill being nerfed. It was a bit easy, and clothing is so powerful in the game because of everything it grants.

Storage, armor, and warmth being the 3 major things that only late-game characters can find alternatives for. And inferior alternative/augmentations at that.

Storage cbm? 8 volume. cargo pants have that.
Alloyed arms? another example of an augmentory bionic
Thermal dissipation? Doesnt halt/zero out cold/heat like clothing.

And then we get to the other things it does. Holding flashlights, stopping glare, faraday cages, holsters for quick drawing, canteens, all manner of things.

And bionics is directable, unlike mutations which can be aimed for but not guarentted. I will say that for all that that mutations provide stronger benefits when they do provide them. imo. Fur is actual warmth. bark is actual armor. etc.