Changes to tailoring - refitting, reinforcing

Hello fellow survivors!

I have searched the forums for a discussion of this, but have been unable to find anything. I am currently playing 0.C-14340-g6e183cc (tiles), 4902 (13 hours ago).
I am playing at 0.4 skillgain.
My survivor is currently at a skill level of 3 (44%) in tailoring, his hand encumbrance is 0 (if that is important, I am not sure that it is).

He has been trying to refit and reinforce clothes for days now, I have had to refill my sewing kit at least 10 times. The only piece of clothing he has been able to reinforce was his self-made simple patchwork scarf.
Trying to reinforce his leather jacket or army pants results in several hours of nothing happening at all with his sewing kit drained completely at the end.
Trying to refit his flame-resistant hood or flame-resistant gloves results in his damaging said clothes.

I distinctly remember this being a lot easier several versions back. Is this working as intended? If so, please share your experience as to what level of skill you needed in order to refit or reinforce certain kinds of clothes. It would appear that repairing, reinforcing and refitting different kinds of clothes now have vastly different difficulties associated with them- or at least that’s how it seems to me.

Thank you!

i think about 5 you can do most. some artciles of clothing you find on yombies can still be hard to refit.i do reinforcing mid game better concetrate on raising tailoring skil first.for it to go to 6 you need just rags,thread and leather and little time.

yup, WASD.

Making clothing better than what it was when it exited the factory ( = reinforcing with no adverse effects) is not for novice tailors.
Refitting is a bit easier, but still not silly easy to do.

On the plus side, even if you find no tailoring books, you can still grind your skil lvl up with trying to refit/reinforce clothes. It takes a bit more but it works.
Just have enough thread and clothes to work on, plus water and food.

If you look at the new UI for tailoring you will see a success and failure chance.

Haha, it was so much easier before. It takes days to fix anything. Took me about 7 hours with a 4 tailoring skill to repair my tactical gloves. Start from small things, like socks and cloth gloves. Tailoring now takes quite a while now, so don’t do it when there’s a brute about to smash the wall down. Higher tailoring skill with decrease the time it’ll take to fix things.

Works as intended, and it’s beautiful. Repairing clothing is no cakewalk anymore. There’s now much more pressure to keep an eye out for spare clothing, especially fit clothing, and more pressure to avoid getting hit. As a consequence the player is forced to either fight more aggressively or walk/run/stay away. You can’t just take hits anymore and poke zombies to death with a pencil without putting the integrity of your clothing to risk. And the (fits) status is not a granted thing anymore. On top of everything, the more damaged the clothing becomes, the harder it is to fix, pressuring the player to take off the piece before it gets impossible to repair with current or next skill level. The system is f*cking glorious, I tell you. Of course at Tailoring 8 or so you can mend just about anything… made out of cloth, wool or leather, that is.

And then we get to the fact that it’s not all about Tailoring. Pay attention to the clothing material. Mechanics skill decides how good you’re with a soldering iron. So if the clothing item is made of plastic, metal, or kevlar, the Mechanics skill is used in repairing them (but only if you use soldering iron). So check the clothing, and if it’s made of both cloth AND metal, for example, then try the soldering iron because the metal allows the soldering iron repairs. But you can try the sewing kit, too (because cloth).

Also, not all clothes made out of same material are equally easy to mend, refit or reinforce. I think you can pretty much reinforce a patchwork scarf or regular socks on day 1 and skill 0. But a cloth shirt or a coat is more difficult, I think. I’m not sure how it all works. Cloth is the easiest to repair, then leather, then wool. Take my knowledge with a lump of salt.

Low DEX can screw your chances to repair too. I’m not sure if INT or PER play any part.

So yeah, unskilled tailors are now forced to scavenge extra clothing, and are forced to be more careful. Adapt.

You sure about that?

Looks like it’s easier to repair damaged clothing and possibly clothing that you are not currently wearing.

I haven’t played in a week so excuse me for not remembering/noticing correctly.

I also remember the days that disassembling rags was quicker and repairing/reinforcing clothes was easily done.

I’m still very annoyed at rag>thread time of 1 hour per rag, it should be quicker or at least add a tool to make it quicker.

the most hard thing in new tailoring system its how hard is to get thread for sewing kit, repairing is still not that hard but even at high lvls you will consume a lot of thread
its far easier and more quick to sew new t-shirt than repairing old

[quote=“X-PLODE, post:7, topic:11913”]I also remember the days that disassembling rags was quicker and repairing/reinforcing clothes was easily done.
I’m still very annoyed at rag>thread time of 1 hour per rag, it should be quicker or at least add a tool to make it quicker.[/quote]
use long strings for threads.rags are not meant to be use for threads except in dire circumstances and thats precisely why they take so long.long strings are disssembled pretty fast.

If you want some thread, just hit (with a weapon) the seat part of a car or disassemble the belt. It’s a rope, and rope have tons of thread. There is also windows that have string; it’s also tons of thread. In less than 5min IRL you can harvest enough to make later more than 5 000 thread, so it’s not a problem.

You sure about that?

Looks like it’s easier to repair damaged clothing and possibly clothing that you are not currently wearing.[/quote]

While I haven’t tried the difference between worn/removed clothing, yes, tailoring does get harder the more damaged it is, but on a bell curve. While for low skill levels it might be harder to repair to full || than it is to get to |, for the lower conditions failure risk increases significantly, to the point that at low skill levels it’s flat-out impossible to repair gear of . or lower condition.

You sure about that?

Looks like it’s easier to repair damaged clothing and possibly clothing that you are not currently wearing.[/quote]

While I haven’t tried the difference between worn/removed clothing, yes, tailoring does get harder the more damaged it is, but on a bell curve. While for low skill levels it might be harder to repair to full || than it is to get to |, for the lower conditions failure risk increases significantly, to the point that at low skill levels it’s flat-out impossible to repair gear of . or lower condition.[/quote]

I concur, the worse the condition of the item, the harder it is to repair. Full stop.

That said, getting above || is not considered “repair”, and it IS harder than getting from /| to || or even | to /| (heck, maybe even the one below that). The easiest step is from /| to ||, and it gets harder both directions from there.

Looks like it's easier to repair damaged clothing and possibly [u][b]clothing that you are not currently wearing.[/b][/u]

I’m still very annoyed at rag>thread time of 1 hour per rag, it should be quicker or at least add a tool to make it quicker.

Can anyone verify this please? Is this a thing now? Please don’t tell me this is in. At the very most please tell me it takes more time due to automation of taking the clothing off to sew it. I don’t want to have to mess with taking clothes on and off to increase chance of success.

Also concur with rag time. 45min isn’t overly penalizing right? maybe 50-55 and/or non-linear time decrease for tailoring skill. “maxing” at ~30 min or so? That seems more realistic to me, maybe Im wrong I’ve admitedly not done much tailoring IRL.

Im not crazy about seat belts being ropes, and relying on them for thread makes less sense IRL CDDA Have you looked at the standard weaves for Seat belts? it should take longer to disassemble seat belts than rags I would think. Most clothes I own tend to give me threads as they naturally unravel. Not many seat belts do the same. They tend to be higher quality with less seams (usually almost completely seamless)

That said I can understand the balancing issues, I just think this area needs a little rework now that tailoring looks so much nicer as a whole… And we still have ropes for 5 point safety harnesses.

Repair chance isn’t affected by the item being worn.
It is affected by damage, skill, dexterity and “complexity” (skill level of the recipe, capped at 5).