New repair discussion

Add that to the list…

No and there won’t be until someone presents a use case where the old option wasn’t worse, using the new balancing (where 30+ attempts isn’t even bad).

i will try but im not good at all at english so i apologize in advance
i really dont care about the new balancing or spending different ammounts of time and materials, that should be things that change over time probably and is not the reason i think that should be a way of turning it off
and i understand that you took work and time to make it and i dont want to disrespect that or say that is bad or useless, in fact i think it is great for some things
but i think that overcomplicate the start of the game, where you dont need to make batch of things and just need to fit a fucking pair of bandanas to warm your head without force reinforce them, and without spending a day doing it when you are short in resuorces and a few hours means death
and i dont asked you to remove your hard work, i just need some guidance to change if it is possible, or turn it off, or maybe that is a different way of repair things at par with the original way
this game has a lot of interaction between player and items, and basically change a simple way for a new prompted and filled with different options that need more prompts being the only way is not an improvement
i played this game a lot, from the old days, and i registered just to speak my opinion about a change made to something that was right

From http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5877.msg263079

i will try but im not good at all at english so i apologize in advance
i really dont care about the new balancing or spending different ammounts of time and materials, that should be things that change over time probably and is not the reason i think that should be a way of turning it off
and i understand that you took work and time to make it and i dont want to disrespect that or say that is bad or useless, in fact i think it is great for some things
but i think that overcomplicate the start of the game, where you dont need to make batch of things and just need to fit a fucking pair of bandanas to warm your head without force reinforce them, and without spending a day doing it when you are short in resuorces and a few hours means death
and i dont asked you to remove your hard work, i just need some guidance to change if it is possible, or turn it off, or maybe that is a different way of repair things at par with the original way
this game has a lot of interaction between player and items, and basically change a simple way for a new prompted and filled with different options that need more prompts being the only way is not an improvement
i played this game a lot, from the old days, and i registered just to speak my opinion about a change made to something that was right[/quote]

Reinforcing being harder is intended. Old one was pretty much for free - even an unskilled tailor could take a high-level item and make it better than a factory-made, brand new one.

Prompts are there because the old option was incredibly clunky - it required upwards of 30 keypresses per single item.
The new option does in 4 keypresses what you would do in 30 before.

I don’t see what is your problem with prompts.
What do you want to achieve without them that is hard to do with them?
You can repair to full without reinforcing just fine.
You can keep trying until something happens, for example item gets repaired or damaged one “tick”.
You can train tailoring by sewing for as long as possible.

If you want to refit without reinforcing, that can be added as another option.

If you want to make it more like the old option, you can mod a big skill bonus for all items that implement the repair action. That would make it much faster and easier, like the old option was.

I’ll be honest, I’m coming to not mind the changes.

HOWEVER, drawing it out into a much greater expense of time and thread/batteries/etc is going to cause annoyance among some players. It was inevitable.

There’s also the question of whether the realism is warranted. I generally like to stress the idea of realistic features being at their best when they enhance gameplay, rather than detract from it.

And this feature? Well, you’re making the player commit to the action and spend time on it. Making it an undertaking, an investment. Make them focus on the task.

My judgement on this is, put simply, Your Mileage May Will Vary. I don’t mind it, though it can make soldering a mild annoyance in the early game, it’s easily adapted to. But other players will think it adds to the gameplay, and others will dislike it.

In other words, controversy over it is to be expected. If you weren’t expecting controversy, something has gone hilariously wrong. o3o

I don´t see the new repair system as bad, in fact I really love it how is right now, and is quick and simple and I dunno how easy was before because just being to play and the forums get the thread " Tailor skill gimped wtf".

Maybe I was a bit annoyed about how encumbrance give a simple fur patch from 0 to 15+ was like “wat” But right now seems you guys balance that and is just improving.

Also I am ok to have a chair and a table for working, an appropriate surface for work is like the real life, right?
Maybe you can fix a bit speeding the process if you are in a adequate condition like the table/chair situation / good light etc.

I dont mind the difficulty increase/nerf of tailoring.

I do mind the new crafting menu.

It makes Tailoring kits easier to use if you only want to repair clothing, but it makes sewing kits/needles harder to use.

I ldidnt mind carrying a tailors kit and sewing kit around, one for repairs and one for advanced clothing management.

My solution is to suggest the option to turn on/off that menu. I found the process of repair easy to control for an alcoholic. a/a/[clothing], a/a/[clothing], a/a/[clothing] . . .

The issue is preventing the shakes and staying intoxicated, most easily done by drinking booze every time your morale drops to ‘neutral’. Not so easy because of the menu.

[quote=“pisskop, post:7, topic:11181”][spoiler]I dont mind the difficulty increase/nerf of tailoring.

I do mind the new crafting menu.

It makes Tailoring kits easier to use if you only want to repair clothing, but it makes sewing kits/needles harder to use.

I ldidnt mind carrying a tailors kit and sewing kit around, one for repairs and one for advanced clothing management.

My solution is to suggest the option to turn on/off that menu. I found the process of repair easy to control for an alcoholic. a/a/[clothing], a/a/[clothing], a/a/[clothing] . . .

The issue is preventing the shakes and staying intoxicated, most easily done by drinking booze every time your morale drops to ‘neutral’. Not so easy because of the menu.[/spoiler][/quote]

I can use the tailor kit for both uses, but what I missed if you have a Sewing one? shortcuts?

Hmm. Quite peculiar.

Also, regarding the repeat mechanics. It would be nice if the repeat option included a simple “repeat until ONE success or failure occurs” option.

Regarding the idea of making it optional? I can see that being useful, but with one caveat. Someone should’ve thought of implementing that BEFORE it overrode the original method. >_>

Tailor’s kits can do more than sewing kits.

They used to have a menu system you had to navigate through, taking longer per repair attempt and sometimes leading to accidentally fortified clothing if you accidently pressed the button to add leather, kevlar, or wool instead of the ‘repair’ function.

It was annoying compared to literally (a)ctivate, [sewing kit button shortcut], [clothing button shortcut]

Oh, well is just because you mechanized the process by reassigning a shortcut, but is not that complicate when you get used to it. btw non related to the thread, but there is an option to complete reset the letter assignation in the inventory screen? Like, the game reassign a letter every time you activate the option?

Example:
a-bandage
z-crack
i-whiskey
U-Cooked deformed fetus

(activating option)

a-bandage
b-crack
c-whiskey
d-Cooked deformed fetus

you can cook babby parts? o.o why when you just wanna mutate?

[quote=“pisskop, post:10, topic:11181”]Tailor’s kits can do more than sewing kits.

They used to have a menu system you had to navigate through, taking longer per repair attempt and sometimes leading to accidentally fortified clothing if you accidently pressed the button to add leather, kevlar, or wool instead of the ‘repair’ function.

It was annoying compared to literally (a)ctivate, [sewing kit button shortcut], [clothing button shortcut][/quote]

Or you can bind their function in the item action menu (by default ‘%’).
While it currently doesn’t understand tool quality, it is more convenient than having to keep inventory letters constant across characters.

we could just make the new menu for tailoring kits, or sewing and tailoring kits.

And then let needles be single use only like the olden days.

That sounds incredibly clunky…

Potentially. How is that tailor’s kits are somehow now LESS clunky? Being a menu swamp was always their shtick.

Since you can just use them with the item action menu rather than actually having to go through their menus.

Modification is more clunky, repair less.

Since you can just use them with the item action menu rather than actually having to go through their menus.

Modification is more clunky, repair less.[/quote]

…am I the only one who just assigns the item to “s” and then presses a, s like a sane person? o3o

No, you’re neither the only one who does that, nor are doing it like a sane person.
A sane person wouldn’t reassign items on every character, but would assign the function once and have it set for all of them.

True. Force of habit though. ;w;