New player - numpad and arrow keys movement bug in game menus

Hello all.

I downloaded the game and tried to play it. At the main menu, after the third or fourth keypress (arrows, numpad, enter, etc), actions caused by keys seem to “lag” by one keypress. I’ve seen numerous other posts where people have had issues with numpad and arrow keys not working for specific menus or functions, but this seems to be different. I can’t even start a game except by accident, and trying to customize a character is painful.

I’ve searched this forum, Reddit, and Googled in general about this issue, but it seems to only be me. I’m hoping someone else has seen something like this before, or has any ideas.

I have CDDA version 0.C (Cooper), and I’m using some cheap non-gaming Logitech wireless keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

To clarify, the version I’m having this trouble with is the tileset version. I tried starting a game with the non-tileset (curses?) version, and I do not have the same problem with keys. I tried with the 0.B tileset version, and the problem appears there too. The 0.B non-tileset version also works for me.

It seems clear the keypress problems are connected to the tileset versions of the game.

That’s a strange problem. Are you on Windows? Have you tried the recent experimentals?

Yes, I’m on Windows 10 Home. I haven’t tried any other versions.

It’s really weird to me that no one else is having this problem. I imagine it must be some interaction with something else I have installed, but I can’t imagine what that would be. I have no special keyboard drivers…

I’m no Windows expert, but I believe the Windows port uses SDL in tiled mode. Maybe try some other SDL-based applications and see if they do this, too? There’s a Windows console-mode Cataclysm, so you might try that and see if it works any differently.
Maybe try running in safe mode to see if it’s some service or applet that’s interfering.

The more info we can get on how this bug works, the closer we’ll get to identifying the cause.

[quote=“philosaur, post:4, topic:14384”]Yes, I’m on Windows 10 Home. I haven’t tried any other versions.

It’s really weird to me that no one else is having this problem. I imagine it must be some interaction with something else I have installed, but I can’t imagine what that would be. I have no special keyboard drivers…[/quote]
The experimental branch is literally thousands and thousands of updates beyond 0.C by now, and I’m pretty sure this problem was already addressed at some point therein.

I started having this issue after my Windows 10 installed the “Fall Creators Update” this morning. I’m using the Chesthole tileset in 0.C.

This happens in fullscreen only.

Edit- turning on software rendering does seem to have fixed it in fullscreen for me.

I have played Cataclysm on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and now currently on Ubuntu.

The only time I have had input lag was when my game was resource demanding, stressing my cpu. At that point, I believe my game would register key inputs but would not output any until further down the line.