Neutral Traits

I have been thinking about having personality defining neutral Traits that don’t cost any points but have both bad sides and good sides. An example of this could be Likes heat and you would actually get a morale bonus for being warm, but suffer greater morale loss for being cold
(Unrelated to the topic, I think the mutations screen needs to be removed from the @ screen to its own separate place like bionic is)

That’s the thing, there’s no real sense in doing that since you can just make 4 traits that do both the good and bad things in your suggested traits. For instance:

Peripheral Artery Disease - Poor circulation in your extremities makes cold climates more uncomfortable for you. Sleep becomes more difficult than normal when cold and cold has a greater negative effect on your morale.

Cool Customer - Hot climates bother you less and you don’t mind being warm as much as others. Being warm doesn’t cause morale loss and being hot has a reduced morale penalty. If you are made warm by sunshine or a small fire you gain a morale bonus.

Of course there could be traits that are completely neutral such as:

Nose Itch: Your nose is particularly itchy at all times of the year. You don’t necessarily sneeze more, it just needs scratching now and again.
Bilingual: Having parents who immigrated to America from another country has been difficult, but at least you know a second language!

Instead of having these types of traits give benefits right off the bat, they could increase the chances of certain mutations in the late game. An itchy nose could increase the chance for the development of the weakening mutation which could be useful for reaching a certain end game goal. Bilingual, likewise, could increase the chance for intelligence boost mutations later on. The traits wouldn’t turn into those mutations, just increase the chances for them happening.

I understand what you’re trying to convey here, but it really doesn’t add enough to justify overhauling what already seems covered. If you’re conveying a hidden bonus with a neutral trait then you’ll have to add values to specific neutral traits so players don’t just stack every neutral trait instead of choosing others. In the end it doesn’t seem to add anything that a combination of traits couldn’t do. I mean, just make the itchy nose thing a flaw or an edge and have it and other traits affect mutations? But even then I don’t entirely agree with that., either. It just doesn’t seem worth the effort to overhaul traits to add traits that do next-to-nothing. If you really wanted to add optional traits or flaws like in Fallout, such as Bloody Mess, then just make it a flaw or an edge with 0 cost.

Playing Fallout 2 with both the Jinxed trait with the Pariah dog following you was quite surreal, if anyone remembers what I’m talking about…

[quote=“Hague, post:4, topic:6507”]I understand what you’re trying to convey here, but it really doesn’t add enough to justify overhauling what already seems covered. If you’re conveying a hidden bonus with a neutral trait then you’ll have to add values to specific neutral traits so players don’t just stack every neutral trait instead of choosing others. In the end it doesn’t seem to add anything that a combination of traits couldn’t do. I mean, just make the itchy nose thing a flaw or an edge and have it and other traits affect mutations? But even then I don’t entirely agree with that., either. It just doesn’t seem worth the effort to overhaul traits to add traits that do next-to-nothing. If you really wanted to add optional traits or flaws like in Fallout, such as Bloody Mess, then just make it a flaw or an edge with 0 cost.

Playing Fallout 2 with both the Jinxed trait with the Pariah dog following you was quite surreal, if anyone remembers what I’m talking about…[/quote]

Yeah, and I remember FO2.

Ok, I don’t know how badly necromancers are hated here, but my time on other forums has given me the impression that forum venom is saved for both necroing threads, and posting topics that are covered in other threads. Since the two are mutually exclusive and collectively exhausted (assuming that there exists such a thread), I’m guaranteed to piss someone off…this is the way I chose to do it.

So, here’s an idea for what I consider to be a great Neutral trait…

Dead Taste Buds - The player gets no positive or negative enjoyment from eating food (in the case of food which is largely disgusting for psychological or textural reasons, the negative hit is merely lowered)

Of course, whether or not this is really neutral probably depends upon the actual proportions of negatively effecting to positively effecting food types.

I’d love to see more traits with very subtle gameplay changes, but which nevertheless are very significant to people in the world…nut allergies, color-blindness, phobias, OCD (can you imagine, your character gets a severe unhappiness bonus if they don’t perform some specific task like opening and closing the door to their bedroom 3 times or whatever…obviously mad, but an amusing idea).

[quote=“mdtexeira, post:6, topic:6507”]Ok, I don’t know how badly necromancers are hated here, but my time on other forums has given me the impression that forum venom is saved for both necroing threads, and posting topics that are covered in other threads. Since the two are mutually exclusive and collectively exhausted (assuming that there exists such a thread), I’m guaranteed to piss someone off…this is the way I chose to do it.

So, here’s an idea for what I consider to be a great Neutral trait…

Dead Taste Buds - The player gets no positive or negative enjoyment from eating food (in the case of food which is largely disgusting for psychological or textural reasons, the negative hit is merely lowered)

Of course, whether or not this is really neutral probably depends upon the actual proportions of negatively effecting to positively effecting food types.

I’d love to see more traits with very subtle gameplay changes, but which nevertheless are very significant to people in the world…nut allergies, color-blindness, phobias, OCD (can you imagine, your character gets a severe unhappiness bonus if they don’t perform some specific task like opening and closing the door to their bedroom 3 times or whatever…obviously mad, but an amusing idea).[/quote]

Nut allergies would involve another material so we could track nuts. Colorblindness wold be great if we had a good implementation: sure, we can grey-out the game but then you lose the ability to tell a shotgun from a rifle, wolf suit from backpack, etc at range. So not a great fit.

Mental issues would not be “minor” and it’s very tough to track that sort of thing (where is your bedroom, for starters?).

So yeah, you knew it was a bad idea to post and you did so anyway. -_- Sheesh.

To be fair, I think the Dead Taste Buds idea is good, and that is the primary reason I bothered to necro this thread. My apologies if no one else agrees.