Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)

I always found it weird how having the Huge mutation only locks you out of just armor and clothes, but doesn’t lock you out of (some) weapons…
It’s weird how I can fire a Self-Bow with the Huge Mutation, as that would apply way too much pressure on the bow’s string and cause it to snap.

We should include Huge Survivor Only weaponry, like a Mini-Ballista, etc…

[quote=“TinHeadDays, post:1561, topic:5570”]I always found it weird how having the Huge mutation only locks you out of just armor and clothes, but doesn’t lock you out of (some) weapons…
It’s weird how I can fire a Self-Bow with the Huge Mutation, as that would apply way too much pressure on the bow’s string and cause it to snap.

We should include Huge Survivor Only weaponry, like a Mini-Ballista, etc…[/quote]

I like the idea of huge-only weapons. Maybe have a crafting book, like the militarys’ study on theoretical super-soldier scale weapons. A design for a kit to convert a M2 .50 cal into a rifle-style weapon and whatnot.

There is already a conversion recipe for the 50 caliber rifle I think? And it is usable by normal survivors, for the most part.
Also, huge trait only weapons sort of makes little sense, what if we have a normal size survivor with higher physical strength than a Huge one?

Probably the only weapon that would make sense for huge is a minigun; those things were never designed to be fired by a person.

And for why you would need a vulcan cannon, I guess there’s nothing like overkill.

It would be better to just make huge survivors not need bracing when using weapons that require it.
That way everyone could use the huge weapons, just that they would only be really useful for the giants.

Something that kind of bothered me, and I guess I don’t know the balance involved…

Mutations, especially the mutation scenario, can lend you a massive starting survivability boost. However, a good portion of them, ESPECIALLY the ones that prevent you from wearing non-XL bits of armour, gradually start becoming more of a hinderance than a help. Even some of the normal traits can do this, like near sighted and far sighted, just because it starts hugely impacting your ability to wear things like the ANBC or power armor, with no XL alternatives and not always a way to get rid of or counteract the trait (For stuff like near sighted, at least you can wear contacts)

This might be intentional, I dunno. Maybe having leg tentacles is seen as so powerful that preventing you from ever having immunity to electricity without finding and powering a power-munching bionic implant or having much protection from radiation or chemicals (though there are some lower tier protections that can fit) is balanced. I guess maybe at that point you’d endeavor to try to get rid of the mutations?

ON a side though, speaking of mutations, I once tried to make a gillman survivor that lived out of lakes and a tent. I got munched on by that nuclear cruise missile called a jawed horror though before I could even build a boat and was sad that this game doesn’t yet have much allowances for the aquatic natured individual. Blub.

Currently in my opinion most mutations are to hard to get for the effects they grand as late game you will most likely want to be as human like as possible because of restrictions with clothing. Secondly i think you once you have a good weapon or nessesary skill you can meele just about anything without a problem so theres no need for having mutations.
making this balanced would be extremely hard in my opinion.
you d need to make the meele combat much harder.
currently i can punch a bear to death with my bare hands and average strength which is extremely unrealistic.
Also the way you gain the mutation might need to be changed that or new ways added like : a mutagen dealer perhaps?
or: a single syring taking you much deeper down a path (or all the way) so once you find a single one you can ponder on whether you take this because you might need it (at the moment you need to invest huge amounts of time tin order to get to the point of crafting enough mutagen to get what you want)
; found feline syring hm might need the nv but do i want all the sideeffects or found plant syring … hm i am starving and this may very well safe my life but do i realy want to be a walking tree? these would be interesting things for early survivors… currently once you can craft mutagen in sufficient quantity you don t need it at all. Hm i ll think some more about this.

Oh right this isn t something thats easily done and therefor you might want to make an individual thread.

edit:

additionaly i like the things that can give you mutation without your consent like radiation the rat king and those yugg? thing worms which are very rare.

maybe add some more ? :smiley: (although this might be annoying gotta ponder on it, perhaps bind these things to special locations so you can intentionaly avoid them… like the rat king)

I don’t think that the mutagen dealer would work lore wise @_@

i am sure theres a faction that is mutant friendly.

wouldn t it make sense if they sold mutagen or other mutation related services?

you want a specific mutation we can do i!

you want a specific mutation gone we can do that too!

Well at least lore wise i think its covered.

Can see it now,

Some guy only wearing a trenchcoat saying

"Hey Kid, Wanna grow a tail."
as he reveals his goods in the trenchcoat

Little kid voice

“But ma’ told me not to do drugs mister!”

[quote=“wilson7755, post:1571, topic:5570”]Little kid voice

“But ma’ told me not to do drugs mister!”[/quote]
FUCK THAT, YOU CAN GET FUR AND A TAIL. NO ONE WILL RESIST THE CUTE THEN.

I dunno. Cata being the game it is, I’d picturing a vending machine at pharmacies and hospitals that dispenses mutagen into your jerry cans and gallon jugs for a nominal price and a valid (forged) prescription.

Methadone clinics could work the same way, with just a few robotic orderlies and some benches.

[quote=“Burnt Earth, post:1573, topic:5570”]I dunno. Cata being the game it is, I’d picturing a vending machine at pharmacies and hospitals that dispenses mutagen into your jerry cans and gallon jugs for a nominal price and a valid (forged) prescription.

Methadone clinics could work the same way, with just a few robotic orderlies and some benches.[/quote]

Isn’t that called a sewage drain valve down in the sewage treatment plant?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Also: Can someone make it so using advanced inventory to move objects into a tile occupied by an up/down stair take a little more time and effort, but transfer the object to the destination of that stair?

[quote=“Midaychi, post:1574, topic:5570”][quote=“Burnt Earth, post:1573, topic:5570”]I dunno. Cata being the game it is, I’d picturing a vending machine at pharmacies and hospitals that dispenses mutagen into your jerry cans and gallon jugs for a nominal price and a valid (forged) prescription.

Methadone clinics could work the same way, with just a few robotic orderlies and some benches.[/quote]

Isn’t that called a sewage drain valve down in the sewage treatment plant?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Also: Can someone make it so using advanced inventory to move objects into a tile occupied by an up/down stair take a little more time and effort, but transfer the object to the destination of that stair?[/quote]

Stairways tend to be Weird in code terms. Mutagen isn’t publicly acknowledged in the pre-Cataclysm US–tabloid fodder, at best.

Makeshift shotgun beanbags made with salt or sand should have the “SHOT” tag and 0 dispersion, since presumably they have spread.

So I had 2 colds in a row, then flu which while I wasn’t looking upgraded to Influenza? or maybe they are same thing, idk not the point. Ive been eating vitamins regularly since I got them and started popping them like candies since the first time I got sick.
Now on to my suggestion…Initially I took non-drowsy cough meds for the day time symptom relief thinking drowsy before bed since it’ll do nothing but help me sleep better… but when I cought that flu and started taking the drowsy stuff…which bumped me from tired to dead-tired status. Night of sleep later and another drowsy cough med and I was still tired…so I started wisening up. Since then using non-drowsy and the sleepiness has only just gone away (another day lost) I would like to suggest that the sleepiness from drugs is only temporary and goes away when the rest of the effects do, as I can only imagine that is what was happening here. If I am mistaken then sorry to waste your time.

Edit: also maybe make it so cough syrup effects last more than… 2 hours? hard to get any sleep when I have to wake up and retake it so often… not saying over buff it but maybe move it up to… 5 hours, 6 maybe? I just wana sleep this dam thing off

From the “New monsters” thread…

Why is this mildly humorous to me? I can just imagine them throwing down their weapons and going fisticuffs on each other.[/quote]
this happened on more than one occasion in medieval times.[/quote]

It’s important to note that getting hit with plate metal gauntlets on is pretty much like getting hit by a super-sized brass knuckle.

Does heavy armour in CDDA actually count as an unarmed blunt weapon? It really should. Plate and o-yoroi should definately count as unarmed blunt weapons. One of my favourite things in Mount&Blade is to wear some heavy armour and punch peasants unconscious.

Some sort of large brass catcher that fits launchers.
Please?
Or make 40mm canisters craftable perhaps?
Even though I can’t actually make 40mm grenades, I’m still a fan of 40mm buckshot/flechette/acid bomb.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at json and:

"type" : "GUNMOD",
        "id" : "brass_catcher",
        "name" : "brass catcher",
        "description" : "A bag that hangs off the side of your gun and catches ejected casings so you don't have to pick them up.",
        "location": "accessories",
        "weight" : 114,
        "to_hit" : 0,
        "color" : "light_gray",
        "symbol" : ":",
        "material" : ["cotton", "null"],
        "mod_targets" : ["shotgun", "smg", "rifle", "pistol", "launcher"],

…yet it doesn’t show up ingame, and I get a “You cannot attach a brass catcher to your Milkor MGL”.

Taking it to bug board I guess.

Milkor MGLs don’t eject casings; they’re like big revolvers.

A random suggestion that occurred to me today; if office chairs spawned in labs (in rooms with desks and computer consoles), it would provide some minor ‘draggable inventory space’ down there. Come to think of it, there’s probably other places it would make sense for them to spawn in, too…