Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)

[quote=“Squaggly Maggleton, post:3738, topic:5570”]I don’t know how hard it would be to make vehicles be able to pass over other vehicle tiles. The only answer I can think of is making a new “layer” of existence. I think we already have a “vehicle” and “player/npc” layer, and they can move in tandem when you’re driving. It could instead have “vehicle”, “bed”, and “player/npc” and link all of their movement in the same way it already is. The “bed” layer wouldn’t need to be nearly as extensive as the “vehicle” layer is, it would only need one installation point instead of frame/internal/roof/etc like vehicles. This also ensures that you need at least one “vehicle” tile with engine/wheel/etc to move the thing. This could also make bridge-building viable, just make a static “bed”.

This would definitely need some sort of core changes, but I don’t think it would be a huge re-write per se. Most of the code would be able to be scavenged from other bits. Probably. Maybe. I think.[/quote]

If I am not mistaken, people are simply ‘part’ of the vehicle once they are strapped in. Which is why stepping off the seat, or crashing while not strapped in causes FUn ^tm

Though if you are right, or can make yourself right. That could be the beginning of a whole new avenue of moding that CDDA would greatly benefit from. I think most of the community would greatly appreciate any advances in this area. It is one of the most asked for areas that hasn’t been tackled yet, alongside nested inventories.

Oh also one more thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Driving along and when the car is at an angle im able to be attacked by monsters because there is a so called gap in the car due to being turned.
this sucks so much and its been like it for ages any ideas how this could be fixed if at all? :slight_smile:

Only in game option is to double wall your vehicle, or put vehicle curtains on every thing so they that line of sight is blocked.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:3741, topic:5570”]If I am not mistaken, people are simply ‘part’ of the vehicle once they are strapped in. Which is why stepping off the seat, or crashing while not strapped in causes FUn ^tm

Though if you are right, or can make yourself right. That could be the beginning of a whole new avenue of moding that CDDA would greatly benefit from. I think most of the community would greatly appreciate any advances in this area. It is one of the most asked for areas that hasn’t been tackled yet, alongside nested inventories.[/quote]

You’re probably right, I think I was overcomplicating things anyway. Instead of some sort of existence layer, it could just be a new vehicle construction layer that can’t be built on but doesn’t take up any of the other layers.
On the subject of making myself right, I’m sadly not the hero we need nor the one we deserve. I only recently started understanding how vehicle engines, motors, and recipes work together and I still can’t manage to make a bandolier with multiple types of ammo at once.

But Squaggly! Say it isn’t so Squaggly We need you Squaggly! We have faith in you! Don’t let us down now!

1 Like

lol I might need to borrow your copy of Rebuilding Civilization: Computers :stuck_out_tongue:

Im afraid I don’t know this referance. ??

It’s a book from Cataclysm++ that I thought was in the main game lol. It raises your computers to 10

Ah. You assume I have made any kind of distance into the actual game. When in reallity I am just a pro noob enjoying the starlight.

[quote=“stk2008, post:3742, topic:5570”]Driving along and when the car is at an angle im able to be attacked by monsters because there is a so called gap in the car due to being turned.
this sucks so much and its been like it for ages any ideas how this could be fixed if at all? :)[/quote]

Fixing that pretty much requires the old vehicle code be rewritten. It probably needs to be done eventually, but skimming the code, it looks like an intimidating task to me.
The only hacky way I could think to fix it right now would be to find a way to somehow disallow diagonal movement and attacks onto or off of car frames.

That seems like it might work, long as it doesn’t disable attacks through ports. Would be awfully hacky though

Some one years ago suggested on forum or irc cant rwm.
to place invisable blocks in between the space to prevent movement in that space could that work or?

how would it stack with collisian mechanics? Mobs only? Then how do mobs get to your vehicle to attack it in a normal manor? Do you put it on the inside? if so that might be blocking player from something important, though they should be able to access everything without standing on that spot…unless its a narrow vehicle. and even if thats not a problem how do you tell the game which blocks need ‘reinforcing’ with invisible blocks?

if (construction menu pathing = false) {
when (wall <= 0)
[pathing = true]
else (pathing through not_door = false)
}
?

would require a lot more work than that, and would be hacky to boot. Maybe if instead of an ‘invisible block’ it was just a

‘cannot move from not_vehichle to Vehichle between diagonal_wall without “mountable” flag or no_floor’

or the like…

Vehicle construction is known to be lodged deep within the hardcoded noodles though, so having monster checks through it could get complicated until someone is able to Json more of it or something.

A way to mend various motor faults, not only drive belts.

Add a way to lock vehicle doors and hatches.

When I returned from raiding a lab I noticed door of my RV was open. When I checked my stuff I noticed some of electronics was missing. Soon after that one NPC attacked me. When I checked his corpse I found my stolen stuff. That’s not the first time NPCs are stealing my stuff and it’s really annoying to have 13 tons of armor with several hulk splats on the windshield and don’t be able to protect my loot from NPCs.

PS. Is there a way to make crafter turrets attack everything but player even if it is not hostile? If not I think this should be added too.

It would be nice to have a cover system for firefights. For instance when i peak out from the corner, i would be able to fire my gun. The enemy would have half the chance to hit me

Make sandbag barricades acctually work.

Yeah… i just recently started to use firearms in the game, but its really painful, that i always have to move out from cover. I always feel like those sneaky german soldiers who gets gunned down from hip by an american hero in an old ww2 movie :smiley:

Make sandbag barricades acctually work.[/quote]
Actually a lot of cover already works. The way it happens is every time a bullet passes through a square on the way to you (or your target if you are the shooter) it’s got a chance to hit the object in that square. If it hits it then it takes a reduction to it’s damage with a chance to damage the tile (might also have a chance to throw off aim as well, not sure on that bit). Drop the damage down low enough and the bullet stops before it gets to you.

Make sandbag barricades acctually work.[/quote]
Actually a lot of cover already works. The way it happens is every time a bullet passes through a square on the way to you (or your target if you are the shooter) it’s got a chance to hit the object in that square. If it hits it then it takes a reduction to it’s damage with a chance to damage the tile (might also have a chance to throw off aim as well, not sure on that bit). Drop the damage down low enough and the bullet stops before it gets to you.[/quote]
I don’t think this rule applies to vehicles as I actually did a test where using a shotgun I tried to shoot at zombies on the other side of various vehicle tiles more specifically transparent one and even more specifically a door, a frame and a quarter panel but then again unlike sandbags the quarter panel and door are not directly able to be walked on.