Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)

[quote=“Dzlan, post:3, topic:5570”]http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5845.msg102487

Train tracks and stations is a good idea. Having an alternate route to travel along between cities, like sewers but above ground.
Why are they needed? To make everything feel more complete I guess, I’m honestly not sure. But it’s an idea.[/quote]
New England isnt known for its excellent rail systems, especially outside cities.

It was. Most of the north east was. Then the Depression hit, wiped out the interurbans and some of the railroads and WW2 killed the rest of them, save those that hauled freight. Even those havent done that well.

Still, there is a rather robust rail network still in New England. Atleast, southern New England…

Shouldn’t lockpicks be able to unlock display cases, or is there something I’m missing?

Display cases are sealed not locked. They have no lock.

Display cases are sealed not locked. They have no lock.[/quote]

Seems legit. Nobody ever sells anything out of the display anyway, amirite? /s

Which is just plain weird. In fact…

Why the hell are the electronics store display cases right by the door, where it’d be way easier to smash-and-grab? You’d expect them to be near the counter, like with the antique store. :V

Goddammit typo…

What I meant is that we now have the tool/machine that allows us to re-use tin cans. It already has recipes that give “tin can of canned meat/veggy” as a result. Like other items contained in a tin can (or other container) these items can be used without any further action. What I proposed was a recipe that gives “tin can of canned tomatoes” as an output. That way, canned tomatoes would be more accsessible as an ingredient.

As it stands, the current recipe for canned tomatoes gives “sealed jar of canned tomatoes” as a result. Technically speaking, this isn’t the same item you get once you use it. When you use it, the item is transformed into “glass jar of canned tomatoes”. The technical difference is that the first is an item in itself. Only when you activate it you get a normal glass jar filled with the tomatoes. Therefore you can’t use the tomatoes for cooking (as technically speaking the tomatoes are only generated when you open the sealed jar). Sounds way more complicated than it actually is…

Long story short, what I suggest is a recipe that gives “canned tomatoes” contained in a tin can. Both items are already in the game, so it wouldn’t be hard to add (it would be a simple copy-paste from the existing recipes for canned meat/veggys). It would add another way to conserve tomatoes without turning them into generic vegetables (like the recipe for dehydrated veggy does). And it would add some convinience, as you don’t need the extra step of opening the container. Besides, when you open a sealed jar, its contents start to rot, which can be a bit complicated when you only need a single charge of tomatoes (the sealed jar contains 3, IIRC).

EDIT: actually, even I, an completely incompetent fool who never did a single change to his Cata files, managed to get this recipe working in game without any visible fuckups (even the standard container for canned tomatoes already was the usual tin can):

{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “can_tomato”,
“category”: “CC_FOOD”,
“subcategory”: “CSC_FOOD_VEGGI”,
“skill_used”: “cooking”,
“difficulty”: 4,
“time”: 24000,
“reversible”: false,
“autolearn”: true,
“contained”: true,
“batch_time_factors”:[83, 5],
“qualities” : [
{“id”:“SAW_M”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“HAMMER”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“CUT”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“COOK”,“level”:3,“amount”:1}
], “tools”: [
[
[ “hotplate”, 10 ],
[ “char_smoker”, 1 ],
[ “toolset”, 10 ],
[ “fire”, -1 ]
],
[
[ “can_sealer”, -1 ]
]
],
“components”: [
[
[ “can_food”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “scrap”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “water”, 1 ],
[ “water_clean”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “tomato”, 1 ]
]
]
}

And just because I like typing that word: tomatoes.

Goddammit typo…

What I meant is that we now have the tool/machine that allows us to re-use tin cans. It already has recipes that give “tin can of canned meat/veggy” as a result. Like other items contained in a tin can (or other container) these items can be used without any further action. What I proposed was a recipe that gives “tin can of canned tomatoes” as an output. That way, canned tomatoes would be more accsessible as an ingredient.

As it stands, the current recipe for canned tomatoes gives “sealed jar of canned tomatoes” as a result. Technically speaking, this isn’t the same item you get once you use it. When you use it, the item is transformed into “glass jar of canned tomatoes”. The technical difference is that the first is an item in itself. Only when you activate it you get a normal glass jar filled with the tomatoes. Therefore you can’t use the tomatoes for cooking (as technically speaking the tomatoes are only generated when you open the sealed jar). Sounds way more complicated than it actually is…

Long story short, what I suggest is a recipe that gives “canned tomatoes” contained in a tin can. Both items are already in the game, so it wouldn’t be hard to add (it would be a simple copy-paste from the existing recipes for canned meat/veggys). It would add another way to conserve tomatoes without turning them into generic vegetables (like the recipe for dehydrated veggy does). And it would add some convinience, as you don’t need the extra step of opening the container. Besides, when you open a sealed jar, its contents start to rot, which can be a bit complicated when you only need a single charge of tomatoes (the sealed jar contains 3, IIRC).

EDIT: actually, even I, an completely incompetent fool who never did a single change to his Cata files, managed to get this recipe working in game without any visible fuckups (even the standard container for canned tomatoes already was the usual tin can):

{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “can_tomato”,
“category”: “CC_FOOD”,
“subcategory”: “CSC_FOOD_VEGGI”,
“skill_used”: “cooking”,
“difficulty”: 4,
“time”: 24000,
“reversible”: false,
“autolearn”: true,
“contained”: true,
“batch_time_factors”:[83, 5],
“qualities” : [
{“id”:“SAW_M”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“HAMMER”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“CUT”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“COOK”,“level”:3,“amount”:1}
], “tools”: [
[
[ “hotplate”, 10 ],
[ “char_smoker”, 1 ],
[ “toolset”, 10 ],
[ “fire”, -1 ]
],
[
[ “can_sealer”, -1 ]
]
],
“components”: [
[
[ “can_food”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “scrap”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “water”, 1 ],
[ “water_clean”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “tomato”, 1 ]
]
]
}

And just because I like typing that word: tomatoes.[/quote]

Add it to a mod along with more canned items and called it “can goods mod” and call it a day.

Why can’t I attach a noise maker to an RC car? It seems like it’d be a fairly useful thing to be able to do; just drive it away from you, activate the noise maker for a bit, then turn it off once the zombies are where you want them to be and recover it for later use.

Huh? Why should that be a mod? It’s a single recipe, which is:

a) easy to implement - the work has already been done, it just needs to get on Github and be revised by someone more capable than me
b) it’s fitting from a lore/design point of view - after all, it’s just canned tomatoes
c) it’s balanced, at least compared to the other canning recipes. It doesn’t even conflict with the existing recipe, as it takes different materials and only gives a single charge instead of three
d) it adds functionality to a tool (can sealer) that else would only be used for two recipes

I mean, if this is a bullshit idea for one reason or the other, feel free to ignore it. But I’m seriously curious as to why this should be mod-content…

Huh? Why should that be a mod? It’s a single recipe, which is:

a) easy to implement - the work has already been done, it just needs to get on Github and be revised by someone more capable than me
b) it’s fitting from a lore/design point of view - after all, it’s just canned tomatoes
c) it’s balanced, at least compared to the other canning recipes. It doesn’t even conflict with the existing recipe, as it takes different materials and only gives a single charge instead of three
d) it adds functionality to a tool (can sealer) that else would only be used for two recipes

I mean, if this is a bullshit idea for one reason or the other, feel free to ignore it. But I’m seriously curious as to why this should be mod-content…[/quote]Because if someone makes it a mod JSON, that means the work of implementation is already done, and you can just poke one of the devs and say “Could you merge this? I already put the work in so it should be pretty easy, assuming it’s the sort of thing we want mainline.”

Upgrade/mod CBMs for the fusion blaster arm. Alternate fire modes for the blaster arm that gives you a wider range of shots; like a weaker/low ranged rapid fire shot, or a moderately powerful blast with decent range. Or an attachable hand that gives you a somewhat encumbered hand but enabling you to use both hands again.

Cooled floor trunk. Like a minifridge, but can be walked on unimpeded. Essentially a modified and downsized minifridge, with the large portion of the middle section cut out to reduce the depth, to enable floor installation. Half the storage space of a minifridge.

Suggested recipe (something like):

Required skills: mechanics 6 and/or electronics 4
Difficulty: ?
Required tools: (hacksaw + acetylene torch + wrench) OR integrated toolset
Parts:
minifridge (the main component)
1 steel frame (the frame for the unit)
8 scrap metal (nuts, bolts… the attachment paraphernalia)
1 sheet metal (to protect the backside that now faces the road, exposed to the outdoors and dirt)
steel plating OR alloy plating OR military composite plating (for the reinforced fridge door, capable of withstanding the weight of a person)

[s]But… someone simply has to copy the recipe I posted and paste it into recipe_food.json to make this work. I’m not sure if there could be any problem with the order in which the recipes are listed in that file, but from my limited understanding of coding, there shouldn’t br. At least, it works without any apparent bugs when I just paste the recipe at the end of the file. Downloading a modified .json seems to be the more complicated way IMHO, unless you’r completely computer illiterate and can’t copy-paste.

But whatever, that’s just my humble opinion and I guess you guys know what you’re up to. So, what should I do now to get this recipe on github? Frankly, I don’t really want to go through all the trouble of submitting it myself, given that it’s such a simple change. Should I post the modified .json in the lab section of the forum? That’s seems pointless, IMHO. Or should I message one of the more active github users, asking them to PR this for me?

I mean, I’d be fine if this change doesn’t get through for whatever reason, but I’d like to at least give it the chance to be reviewed…
[/s]

Just saw that Rivet has already put this change, alongside some others, into the game. Thanks Rivet!

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:2813, topic:5570”]Cooled floor trunk. Like a minifridge, but can be walked on unimpeded. Essentially a modified and downsized minifridge, with the large portion of the middle section cut out to reduce the depth, to enable floor installation. Half the storage space of a minifridge.

Parts:
1 sheet metal (to protect the backside that now faces the road, exposed to the outdoors and dirt)
steel plating OR alloy plating OR military composite plating (for the reinforced fridge door, capable of withstanding the weight of a person)[/quote]

I like the idea of some kind of “floor fridge”, but why shouldn’t that just take a normal minifridge to install?

[quote=“Malaxxor, post:2814, topic:5570”][quote=“BeerBeer, post:2813, topic:5570”]Cooled floor trunk. Like a minifridge, but can be walked on unimpeded. Essentially a modified and downsized minifridge, with the large portion of the middle section cut out to reduce the depth, to enable floor installation. Half the storage space of a minifridge.

Parts:
steel plating OR alloy plating OR military composite plating (for the reinforced fridge door, capable of withstanding the weight of a person)[/quote]

I like the idea of some kind of “floor fridge”, but why shouldn’t that just take a normal minifridge to install?[/quote]

BeerBeer already outlined the whys, I’ll add that if it just took a normal minifridge no one would use the minifridge ;D

Unless it still had the reduced capacity.
Though it would need a much smaller capacity to really count. Something along the lines of 50, not 150.

How much space it do?

Also, on the subject of things in floors, I think there should be some kind of risk involved. These things are presumably hanging out with you axles and gas tank down there. Perhaps they should be more susceptible to damage or w.e.

[quote=“pisskop, post:2817, topic:5570”]How much space it do?

Also, on the subject of things in floors, I think there should be some kind of risk involved. These things are presumably hanging out with you axles and gas tank down there. Perhaps they should be more susceptible to damage or w.e.[/quote]

Lowered durability as well, maybe?

Unless it still had the reduced capacity.
Though it would need a much smaller capacity to really count. Something along the lines of 50, not 150.[/quote]

100 please. I can always drink my beer warm and put in in a cargo carrier otherwise*. Disgusting, but then i cannot taste that beer either. :stuck_out_tongue:

*Which is what i’m doing now… :cry:

The only risk to floor-mounting that I can see is pebbles being thrown into the undercarriage. Well, I guess if it projects further than average then it could hit the ground on uneven terrain… As I understand it, many vehicles keep their fuel tanks down there with little issues, and there is all the transmission and stuff. If you want to keep your emergency porcelain tea pot down there then yes, you will see issues, but anything designed for a vehicle should be fine…

Can kia be added to the game? They are not native, but they are sort of vaguely horror-terrorish with their just sitting on conscious sheep and eating them, pulling cars apart, and general bad behaviour, a mysterious storm blowing them in and adding a bit of cataclysmic flair could spice things up. Kangaroos and platypuses and cassowaries too, there is not nearly enough disembowelling and small, furry, aquatic and venomous in the game…

I guess I am asking someone to make an Australia and New Zealand mod, complete with stricter gun control and a less accessible military presence…