Needed: ideas for "when hit" monster actions

The acid blood thing has been working for some time already.

Rabbits should be able to “leap” a few tiles away if you attack them and miss.
Thrill of the hunt.

Should giant flies also bleed some kind of acid or goop tile when hit? I know they do IRL when you swat them eww.

Can necromancer zombies also “leap” or “teleport” awat if attacked in melee?
I don’t know if they are nether/magical or scientific creatures.

Shrieker zombie can (lol) shriek in pain from any non-lethal attacks.

Is it possible for hallucinations to make you stumble (some kind of debuff) if you melee them?

I imagine vinebeasts would have a chance to disarm you if you attacked them with a blunt object.

The sludgecrawler and giant slug should also have a chance to degrade melee weapons when that becomes a thing.

How about the Jabberwock? Can it have a chance of intimidation (some kind of debuff) if you strike it weakly in melee?

Chopping up biollantes would probably get you covered in sap anyways.

Melee-ing robots should produce a loud noise since they are METUL.

That’s all I could think of. There are already some good ideas about the blobs and fungus.

Exploding zombies, they look like normal zombies but when you hit them, they explode. Like they swallowed a mine or something.

No…

Those are called ‘robots’.

Those are called ‘robots’.[/quote]zombie robots? OH LAWDY!

Giant Clams or Oysters - Killing them yields meat and rarely a pearl or something else they might have swallowed. Failing to kill them on the first attack causes them to close–gaining resistances nearly on par with powered armor.
Bearserking - Certain aggressive creatures (Bears, Jabberwocks etc.) should have a chance of going absolutely ape-shit when hit–the enemy version of adrenaline rush!
Surrender - NPCs or other intelligent enemies (If ever implemented) should have a chance to surrender (read: turn friendly) on getting struck at sufficiently low life.
Hulk Hide - Low volume throwables and small caliber ammunition should have a chance to harmlessly embed themselves in creatures of sufficient girth. Likewise they could deflect dangerously off heavily armored enemies. (Robots)
Zombie Rush - All flavor of zombie could have a chance of pushing the player backwards and occupying a square adjacent when melee’d. It’s not like they’re taking up a stance after all–they’re constantly and mindlessly coming at you with everything they’ve got!

I don’t think every zombie needs the ability to push you around. For melee attackers, proper placement and movement is very important, and being knocked out of place by very common enemies would be a pretty big nerf to melee. There aren’t really very many enemies that can move you when you’re being attacked at the moment. Maybe it would be a good idea for a special zombie type, but not every zombie.

This sounds awesome, would make a good ability for hunters and its something that every other type of zombie could do with a very low chance.

Yeah, for hunters it seems appropriate.

And brutes, hulks, jabbers… Am I missing anything else?

Tough Zombies?
Being former athletes they should be able to do a charge attack thing.

When I first saw the tough zeds, I thought of muscular, thick skinned things. Not sure about having them push.

I don’t really think it’s so much a push as straight up collision. When you consider a zed isn’t going to act like a person and stand toe to toe while they try to make a snack of you they’ll walk through any blow that doesn’t send them reeling.

Maybe you could give each flavor of Zed a strength to their over-run? I.E. they move forward when a melee strike fails to do X damage. This way a baseball bat or sledgehammer might keep the vanilla zombies in line but nothing short of a mack-truck is stopping that hulk in its tracks.

Is that even possible? Would it be easier to just make the weaker zombies less likely to back you up? Should this be a strength check? Either way moving on…

Slippery When Wet! : Not sure if this is doable. Basically have boomers, blobs, spitters and any other “wet” creatures cause you to skid when run over with a vehicle.
Roadblock : Again, not sure how robust this system is but would it be possible for Hulks to bring vehicles of a certain size to a halt when struck? How about just sending them out of control from the impact?
Tricky - Alright! So we’ve already got a “hard to shoot” tag a la skeletons, part and parcel of this suggestion is adding a “hard to strike” tag as well. ((I don’t imagine wasps just lazily hover weapon level when not stinging you after all.) Tricky would basically be a triggered on hit that makes them hard to “X”, where X is whatever you just attacked them with.

**EDIT

Including a thought that just hit me after I posted.

What if there were certain on hit effects directly tied to a creatures anatomy and the type of damage they receive.

I’ll elaborate. The sum total of a zombie would be 2 legs + 2 arms + torso + head. On a hit, based on several factors such as the damage type of the weapon you could get messages like:

“You hamstring the zombie”
“You cleave the zombie’s head in two!”
“You dislocate the zombie’s kneecap with a sickening pop!”
“etc”

Again, these would need to apply to -any- creature or NPC with the appropriate anatomy–of which the player would not be exempt. For the most part these would be perma-debuffs that only disappear when properly treated and could lead to some challenging and memorable encounters.

Thoughts?