Natural Yeast Sources (and other things)

It has been a source of perturbation to me that there is no way to acquire yeast save finding it in homes and businesses. For those of us who enjoy playing a “naturalist” character, it is rather difficult to find yeast in the (likely small) town in our game world. I believe it should be possible to make yeast by soaking plants, such as grain, herbs, fruits, and vegetables, in a sealed mixture of sugar and water for a number of days. This would be very useful for making pine/dandelion wines when one is far from civilization (or, rather, the remnants of it). I also think it should be possible to make a crude pick from charred bone or stone to break up softer rocks, or be able to collect metal-bearing surface rocks, such as hematite and malachite, to have a source of metal for making tools in the wilderness (also, there could be a way to use a boulder as a crude anvil). I feel mining should be saved for when z-levels function properly, however; but it would still be a wonderful addition. Does anyone else have any other suggestions on natural ways of acquiring materials?

I haven t been brewing a lot. But we can t make yeast on our own? I ll check on that.

edit:

wait a sec my english fails me again :

yeast is the shroom that i aslo used in manufacturing bread isn t it?

You can make a sealed culture that yields yeast. if its what i think it is.

I’m against bone picks. This should probably be more like: dig bog iron at swamp->melt bog iron in stone furnace->make pick from that

Making yeast is doable, though someone would need to invent a good recipe for it. Current yeast multiplication is rather hacky. It may be possible to make an auto-transforming liquid, though I’m not sure if it is.

[quote=“Valpo, post:2, topic:9066”]I haven t been brewing a lot. But we can t make yeast on our own? I ll check on that.

edit:

You can make a sealed culture that yields yeast. if its what i think it is.[/quote]
Yep, that is what yeast is.

Just one of those words thats completely different from its german counterpart.

Considering mining:

Not all of the underground is full of ressourcess.

So randomly finding them yourself is irl unlikely… and imo should be the same ingame.

Continueing the woork at an existing mine seems more feasible.

[quote=“wilson7755, post:4, topic:9066”][quote=“Valpo, post:2, topic:9066”]I haven t been brewing a lot. But we can t make yeast on our own? I ll check on that.

edit:

You can make a sealed culture that yields yeast. if its what i think it is.[/quote]
Yep, that is what yeast is.[/quote]

More a bacteria than a fungus, but yeah, pretty much.

Working a mine has been considered and is more faction-territory than the PC on xyr own, but it’s an idea.

Things like ginger rhizomes have natural yeasts that can be made to brew alcohol (ginger beer!), so you could technically grow a yeast culture from there, but the kinds of packeted yeasts you buy to bake bread or brew alcohol are so pure due to industrial processes that it wouldn’t compare. Beer brewed with a wild yeast culture, for example, would probably come out pretty sour with very unpredictable alcohol and carbonation levels. Plus there’s different cultivars for different uses, but that depends on how much depth you want to go into.

It’s definitely a fungus.

Sorry for the necro, but I really want to see this implemented. Yeast is a naturally occurring bacterium on the roots of almost all plants, and even on your skin. It is possible to make a yeast culture by soaking crushed roots in sugar water for several days in a warm location. How do you think ancient folk made beer? And since yeast is a bacteria, allowing more to germinate should be rather easy as long as there is a steady supply of nutrients.

turns out its easy to do IRL.

@4R53N1C: since its just a recipe, i suggest you try to make it. You’ll only have to work with JSON files.

To start, look at the data/json/recipes/recipe_medsandchemicals.json for the recipe to make yeast. To find it search for "result": "flask_yeast"
Then just adapt it to be able make yeast from other stuff other than yeast.
IMO just keep the same resulting item to have the produce ferment in the same timeperiod as before.

Not to nitpick but yeast and bacteria are two different creatures. Although they they often work together peacefully such as in a Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast SCOBY for short.

If you want to be realistic any vegetable can be fermented into something nutritious and delicious just by submerging in salt water for a week or two and you certainly don’t need to add yeast or sugar to fruit to ferment alcohol. Every fruit and veggie has the ability to devour itself just from the natural microorganisms present on their outer layer.

You really only need to add a starter culture if you pasteurize the food before fermentation (which kills the natural yeast and bacteria).

Fermentation has been a passion of mine for over a decade so I thought I’d chime in.